Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a very taxing game plan but it seems that helter skelter approach is the way the league is going

And no side can maintain that running intensity for a full 4 quarters. The key is maximising the damage when momentum is going your way and minimising it when you’re under the pump

A single decisive burst can be enough against teams like GWS but needs to be sustained longer against better sides

Against Freo we leaked some soft goals in the first quarter and couldn’t capitalise on our momentum in the third

JD missing his second...a very easy shot, really hurt us I think. In a flash Freo were in front by a goal and we were in an arm wrestle.

The effort from the guys was great, they where only 1 or 2 points down just after the 3qtr time siren. The loss of the troops didnt help. Worrying so many hammys usually due to fitness levels trying to push harder than their body's can handle.

Walters? His nickname should be "Duck." Serong? if anybody comes within two feet of him from behind he dives forward. Cerra now at carlton is just as bad or worse.Is there something in the water at Dickburn?
-

Positives:
Gaff earned about three HTB frees. Probably a PB from him and something I wanted to see more of. I was ready to stick a fork in him after round 1 but he's gotten better each week, so kudos to him.
Allen looked much more switched on and sharper.
Williams was a bit better around the ground than previously (minus marking contests).
SPS backing up after last week.
Hunt continuing to produce the run and carry we recruited him for.
Ginbey, enough said.
A generally attacking mindset. Obviously the injuries forced us into a more passive style as the game went on but that's understandable.

Negatives:
Cole, still lacking composure.
Williams getting monstered in the ruck and having no influence in marking contests. This really needs to be addressed, he just gets pushed aside by his opponent too easily.
JJ couldn't back it up.
SPS zero CBAs (I think).
Injuries, which exacerbated the negatives.

Positives:
Gaff earned about three HTB frees. Probably a PB from him and something I wanted to see more of. I was ready to stick a fork in him after round 1 but he's gotten better each week, so kudos to him.
Allen looked much more switched on and sharper.
Williams was a bit better around the ground than previously (minus marking contests).
SPS backing up after last week.
Hunt continuing to produce the run and carry we recruited him for.
Ginbey, enough said.
A generally attacking mindset. Obviously the injuries forced us into a more passive style as the game went on but that's understandable.

Negatives:
Cole, still lacking composure.
Williams getting monstered in the ruck and having no influence in marking contests. This really needs to be addressed, he just gets pushed aside by his opponent too easily.
JJ couldn't back it up.
SPS zero CBAs (I think).
Injuries, which exacerbated the negatives.
Darcy would be one of the strongest blokes in the league tbf. Asking a bit much expecting him to genuinely compete in ruck and marking contests.

Jackson had 3 marks to Baileys 2.

Positives:
The uncharacteristic resolve and grunt the team showed during the game to keep competing.
Our future is bright. Ginbey #7 :hearteyes: & Long #44 :hearteyes:
Allen looked active up forward and it resulted in goals. Hopefully a recipe he remembers and applies every week.
Our half-back run and carry was exciting to watch. Hunt and SPS looked good.
These injuries means Simmo has to play more youth!

Negatives:
Chesser is off the pace of AFL footy. Tries hard, but is trailing the ball around the ground and having no impact. Tried to take it on at one time and looked really silly.
Sheed failed to step up when we lost a few personnel.
JJ was a shadow of his R2 self
BBW absolutely creamed in the contest and around the grounds. 2 weeks in a row he's allowed the ruck to be BOG.

Darcy would be one of the strongest blokes in the league tbf. Asking a bit much expecting him to genuinely compete in ruck and marking contests.

Jackson had 3 marks to Baileys 2.
I'm not just talking against Darcy though. It happens with whoever competes against him.

For his two marks he outmarked Jackson in one contest and took an uncontested mark at half back. In the rest of the marking contests he's basically a bystander or he seems to slap at the ball with both hands. It's sticking out like a sore thumb to me, but he's also involved in more contests than anyone so I'm possibly nitpicking.

I see both sides of the BBW argument. He's clearly not very good but his trajectory of improvement has improved massively over his last 5 games.

At the end of the day he's what we've got to work with and he's definitely approaching a serviceable level if his mids work hard around him. Hopefully he continues to improve.

Surely it was a salary cap smear.
Daresay Nic's salary expense is offset against his marketing/merchandising/membership value?
Worth keeping on as long as possible in any capacity...

Also I'm guessing Freo tagged JJ and blocked Watermans run..two key drivers missing from last week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not just talking against Darcy though. It happens with whoever competes against him.

For his two marks he outmarked Jackson in one contest and took an uncontested mark at half back. In the rest of the marking contests he's basically a bystander or he seems to slap at the ball with both hands. It's sticking out like a sore thumb to me, but he's also involved in more contests than anyone so I'm possibly nitpicking.
Yeah hes not very good, but we dont have any other option atm.

Just watched the replay of the controversial free paid for umpire dissent against GWS. Carlton player gets tackled by GWS player. It was clearly holding the ball but the umpire didn't pay it. Thats fine. Just how it goes sometimes. Coniglio appeals for the free by throwing his arms out the way the umpires do when paying a holding free. Like every player does. And the umpire pays a free against him for it. Right in front of goal in the dying stages of the match in a close game. I wonder if that will be the new standard and you can't even appeal for a free anymore.

That running goal he should of nailed it, I don’t care that we lost and I’m proud of the way we went about it but that missed shot on the run really has deflated me for some reason no excuses there
Don't worry. That kid will kick so many other ridiculous goals that you wouldn't believe in the future to make up for that particular missed opportunity.

Luke Jackson confirming what most of us already know about how Freo & their fans think of the derbies. He describes it like a grand final.

Last edited:
Yep re the rebuild they've really tripped themselves up. The Jackson trade was as bad as the Kelly one, but given they've done theirs on the way up while Kelly was done on the way down, it's going to be more damaging for them. The best case scenario is they end up with someone as good as the ruckman they already had in Darcy, but for this to happen Darcy has to move to another club, and in the process they've lost a number of decent players in Lobb, Acres and Logue and thrown away a swag of picks.

Just like the Hogan recruitment was a disaster for them, and Lobb wasn't much better - given they paid more than they sold him for, even though he was a better player when they sold him than when they bought him.
Surely if the dockers lost darcy they'd get a fair bit in return tho?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they lose Darcy and get no premiership with Jackson in, they deserve 10x more criticism than we get atm with Kelly
We dont know if they'll lose darcy but if they do and jackson comes on and they get good picks whilst being up the higher end of the ladder its a good move.
Having darcy doesnt guarantee them a flag and theres been a lot of talk around these parts that maybe a superstar ruck isnt necessarily needed to succeed
Losing darcy for good picks can also mean they get another key forward to pair with amiss

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

BBW absolutely creamed in the contest and around the grounds. 2 weeks in a row he's allowed the ruck to be BOG.
7FJ5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back