Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite the naysayers, genuinely think our centre clearance work has improved a bunch since last year. Probably because we've got Yeo and Kelly in there full time.

Realistically I think both our delivery i50 and our forward craft are the biggest needs rn. Defensively we're not great, but they're not getting much help from up field - which is a big part of Simpsons back philosophy, for better or worse.

Probably Reid's least effective game. I think he'll struggle for fitness as the season goes on. We saw it with Ginbey last year who is a much fitter unit.

The fact that an autopsy thread is 7 mins old at 2pm shows the level of interest in the club.

Insipid, uninspiring garbage. Simmo coaching from the sideline spells trouble. Every game like this is one week closer to a fox footy speculative article about Harley wanting to leave.

We all know that gaff will come back into the team with the most ineffectual 29 possession game.

But hey WA won the shield lads.

Positive- we haven't been pumped by 100 yet !

I don't know what people expected. We lost senior players in hurn and shuey who played the vast majority of games last year and we also cut a bunch of 23 - 26 year olds who although not afl quality they were seasoned bodies .

We replaced them with kids .

It was never going to turn around quickly.

Better to do a quality re-build than a quick rebuild with lesser more mature players .

Let's pull the cream of the crop from the draft for the next 2-3 years before tassie comes in

Positives - The first quarter, clearances, scoring shots, Gov & Yeo , getting another game into the likes of Reid & Ginbey
Negatives - Inaccuracy, forward line, clangers, just one goal after quarter time

Good game from Williams in the middle. With Yeo and Kelly both fit and in form it's the best we've looked in there for 18 months or more. Jamison is pretty green and still very young for a key defender, made a couple of errors but nothing I haven't plenty of times from either Gov or TB. He's not only defending quite well but he's getting a lot of the ball, maybe because it's down there so much but still I am liking him more and more each week. Petch playing well, we'd be so much worse off without him out there I think. Shame for Brockman to have gone out concussed but he's a smart player, a little sloppy today with his kicking but by hand probably in our top couple and that is going to be very important.

Despite the naysayers, genuinely think our centre clearance work has improved a bunch since last year. Probably because we've got Yeo and Kelly in there full time.

Realistically I think both our delivery i50 and our forward craft are the biggest needs rn. Defensively we're not great, but they're not getting much help from up field - which is a big part of Simpsons back philosophy, for better or worse.

Probably Reid's least effective game. I think he'll struggle for fitness as the season goes on. We saw it with Ginbey last year who is a much fitter unit.
Didn’t Reid pull a hammy or something.

To paraphrase a Simpson's quote

Kids. From now on there are three ways of doing things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Jamaine Jones way.

Isn't that just the wrong way?

Yes, but faster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:
  • Some of the vets were best afield, which isn't something that could've been said often over the last few years.
  • Yeo continuing to get back to his best, and a significant factor in the great clearance stats.
  • The kids tried to take the game on at times
  • Gov doing Gov things, tried his guts out and was effective

Negatives:
  • really poor finishing in many aspects (shots on goal, hitting targets, etc)
  • forward entries are atrocious. Forwards lose far too many contests. When it's in the F50, everybody panics and poor decisions are made.
  • Darling gets a mention because he can't jump, can't access anything below his knees, can't beat his man, can't take a contested mark, and can't take an easy chest mark. His role is only as a foil and take a defender or two, although I suspect opposition coaches will soon realise they don't need to put their best on him.

TLDR: some old players good; skills/execution bad.

Positives
Jamieson had some good defensive efforts, Cripps and Yeo are trying really hard, Gov is still great (lovely kicking early).

The commentators are so sick of watching our non-competitive games they are advocating for us getting a PP.

Negatives
We have lost all 12 quarters we've played this year. Can't kicks goals beyond the 1st quarter.

No drive out of halfback, and generally very few in the team who are capable of good offensive kicking.

Sorry to be a hater but Chesser is not going to make make it - has shown nothing and its only the high draft pick that's tricking people into being optimistic about him.

Just a comment on the contested and clearance numbers. The Bont was clearly carrying something, he did the centre bounce and spent a lot of time forward. That was until 3qtr time when they subbed out Libba & then he spent a bit more time midfield.

Yeah it looks good but just isn't working for him is it? Wafl bound

When it comes off he looks a million bucks

But too often it doesn't work for him

Positives
Jamieson had some good defensive efforts, Cripps and Yeo are trying really hard, Gov is still great (lovely kicking early).

The commentators are so sick of watching our non-competitive games they are advocating for us getting a PP.

Negatives
We have lost all 12 quarters we've played this year. Can't kicks goals beyond the 1st quarter.

No drive out of halfback, and generally very few in the team who are capable of good offensive kicking.

Sorry to be a hater but Chesser is not going to make make it - has shown nothing and its only the high draft pick that's tricking people into being optimistic about him.
I think you are being a bit premature there as he has not received the proper development that he should - was brought into playing at AFL level far too soon without doing a proper apprenticeship at WAFL level - caused by too many injuries to the playing group as a whole of course. And playing in a side like ours wouldn’t be too flash for any players development. I think he’s been badly managed up until this point imo.

Far harder to find positives than negatives in that schmozzle but here goes:

Positives:

• Really liked Cal Jamieson's game (other than the goal coughed up kicking into the man on the mark)
  • Gov and Yeo had good games.
  • First time seeing Harley Reid live and liked what I saw. Has the skill, has the spirit. Just needs the tank now.
  • Got enough Inside 50s to be competitive (just a shame most were blazed blindly to contests or opponents)

Negatives:

• Due to fitness or game plan or lack of intensity, it looks like we have two or three less players on the field.
  • Lack of defensive pressure in our forward line - opposition waltzing out with the ball far too easily
  • Set shots inaccuracy.
  • Skills: fumbles, dropped marks, turnovers by foot and by hand
  • Would have liked to have seen more from most of the young brigade: Chesser, J Williams, Maric, Long, Ginbey
  • Umpires making a bad situation worse: blatant pushes in the back not paid, Bulldogs rugby throwing unpaid yet they pinged us twice for throwing last week
  • Have been a fan of JJ but his performances this year warrant dropping him
  • Darling is trying but still struggling
  • Opposition ruckman outrunning our midfielders
  • Watched a lot of the Beagles game online yesterday and there's not much in the way of replacements
  • Sydney will probably beat us by 20+ goals.
  • Legitimate chance of a winless season.

I know this season is about green shoots, but I'd like to have seen a lot more of them in our first three games.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back