Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Sheezel for pick 2 + 20 + 23 would have been a good deal to me

In both Rioli and pick 2 trades we got bent over a barrel. Cant deny that by insulting Sheezel either
And what makes you think we get that considering North effectively got pick 3 for JHF?

I’d take Hewett and Ginbey over Mckercher as well for what it’s worth.

Guarantee you’re one of the ones that complains about us never drafting midfielders yet you’re complaining about missing Sheezel who had shown less than prior to the draft Ginbey as a mid and still has shown less as a mid.

All the top prospects had question marks, we ended up with one of the safer prospects who still had A grade potential due to his athleticism and a top 5 talent in the draft in Hewett for pick 2.

Here you are talking down Ginbey’s midfield ability while talking up a chip scab half back.

If we don’t do that trade our future midfield would be absolute barebones having used two top 3 picks not drafting a mid in consecutive years.

I'm sorry but the talking points for today are absolutely insane.

To sum it up:

We have a lack of young mids (rage)
We need to move our young mids out of mid because they are trash

Uppercut yourselves

Go and put that poll up and see what people pick between Sheezel or Ginbey/Hewett
Yeah, why would you want the 19 year old 2023 rising star and club best and fairest winner averaging 33 disposals and 600m gained in 2024, over two players who look like they hopefully should have reasonable AFL careers if they develop over the next few years and get on top of injuries.

Rising star winner! Pack it up lads you can't beat a rising star winner

View attachment 1947477

Rhys was a pretty good player, deserved his RS but in his draft class I'd have 12 other blokes ahead of him over the journey and a half dozen of them buy the length of Flemington straight.
If you gotta go back 16 years to find your gotcha, your point probably isnt a good one

In any case Sheezel wasnt the true mistake. Giving him up so easily was. We didnt put up even a tiny bit of fight in losing that pick

Numbers looked good. They don't tell the whole story but I felt last year teams were able to waltz out of the middle as well as from half back. In that game they were only able to waltz it from half back. Problem with that is we got the ball out of the middle more which meant they had more ball coming off of half back. Its still a positive not to be NPC's in the centre square.

That was Gov classic. He has shown he's in for a penny in for a pound with that performance.

Duggan playing more solid than the first week again.

Cripps was hungry. I don't like the asking for the ball off of the younger players. I would rather him empower them to take the game on themselves and offer support when it goes to toilet (I'm sure he does the second part of that).

Yeo is frustrated. I think he still wants to have the impact he used to on the contest and is finding it hard to get back there. The footage by Bartel doesnt show much. IIRC if you look at the time in the game it had been a low scoring arm wrestle up to that stage and I assume there had been a bit of back and forth that lead to him being knackered at that particular point.

B Williams gets lost when the ball is in the air. He is a great ground ball player and athlete but aerial he is not. Miss times jumps. Loses contact with his opponent and is found reaching for them when he should be killing the ball over the line.

Would love to see more of Long. He picked up at the end of the game but his decision making and pressure are highlights from last year that i sorely miss.

I'm a JJ fan. But I dont think there is a spot for him at the moment as it would seem our game plan goes against his strengths. He is a run and carry off of half back kind of guy. But when we push all our numbers up to conserve, he has nothing when he gets the ball so he runs into trouble or tries a kick that isn't natural to a secondary target. While this is happening, I don't think there is a spot for him or he needs to play further up the ground to use his attacking run.

Darling is currently in a way that he shouldn't be playing. Whether or not he can overcome it at his age is a question for the club but as it is he is not in playable condition for the game. That attempted soccer that went out of bounds on the full on the wing was because it was a ground ball and he cant bend down to grab so he attempts a little toe tap to keep it moving forward and we saw the result. Surely we can have someone playing that can bend down and get the footy?

Yeah, why would you want the 19 year old 2023 rising star and club best and fairest winner averaging 33 disposals and 600m gained in 2024, over two players who look like they hopefully should have reasonable AFL careers if they develop over the next few years and get on top of injuries.
Severely underrating both Hewett and Ginbey, with that assessment.

Out of Sheezels 32 disposals on the weekend he had 9 contested possessions and 3 of his teams 21 score involvements.

Nic Martin had 44 of the most ineffective disposals I’ve seen playing the same role as Sheezel on the weekend. Jake Lloyd used to do the exact same thing, no one was talking about him as some sort of prodigy.

Looking at player performance over their career vs early doors? STOP! Don't use that complete data set!

Not sure where the critical thinking is on that objection.

also, Jaidyn Stephenson.

Plenty of top 10 picks have been spent on project players; Mac Andrew, Humphrey, Phillipou recent examples.

Who would you have gone instead of Ginbey and how many of his draft have actually performed better?

“Projecting as a bust” is an absolute shithouse call
Well I don't mean to offend. Lots of top tens end up a bust.

Who would I have gone with instead? Phillipou. I presumed he was a natural footballer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rising star winner! Pack it up lads you can't beat a rising star winner

View attachment 1947477

Rhys was a pretty good player, deserved his RS but in his draft class I'd have 12 other blokes ahead of him over the journey and a half dozen of them buy the length of Flemington straight.
What does the list of teenage AFL club best and fairest winners look like?

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt we have had access to Wardlaw if we had kept our pick? Would have been very happy with him over Sheezel to be honest. I think long term he will be the better player.

Yep. The kid with shot hammies. Imagine how that would have gone down after our injury situation was playing out. He's missed his fair share of footy already too.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt we have had access to Wardlaw if we had kept our pick? Would have been very happy with him over Sheezel to be honest. I think long term he will be the better player.
Your correct, Wardlaw is who I wanted in the draft but his hammies were the issue at the time. I'd still take him over Sheezel as well.

I didn't want the trade at the time but it was looking like a good move last year.
Hewett still has the chance to make the trade a win. If we get a solid defensive mid in Ginbey and a balanced goal kicking mid in Hewett we can still come out on top.

What should we have gotten instead? 9 and 14 for pick 3 in what was considered a relatively even draft with no stand out choice is doing well in my opinion.
Literally no one thought it was an even draft, that is revising history. Everyone knew Sheezel was pick 2 for example and it’s the reason why we should have bargained harder for it.

We needed quantity with that pick and 1 pick for 2 picks wasn’t enough. We should have gotten 2 more picks out of them . A future 2nd and future 3rd for example. Doing this would have given us flexibility to dump Witherden and Rotham as opposed to waste a year on them knowing they won’t be here in 12 months time

Literally no one thought it was an even draft, that is revising history. Everyone knew Sheezel was pick 2 for example and it’s the reason why we should have bargained harder for it.

We needed quantity with that pick and 1 pick for 2 picks wasn’t enough. We should have gotten 2 more picks out of them . A future 2nd and future 3rd for example. Doing this would have given us flexibility to dump Witherden and Rotham as opposed to waste a year on them knowing they won’t be here in 12 months time
You are so wrong, https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dr...t/news-story/fe4fd987319ba67304153d34bfef1386

It was only after the trade that everyone knew Sheezel was pick 2 because North announced it.

You are so wrong, https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dr...t/news-story/fe4fd987319ba67304153d34bfef1386

It was only after the trade that everyone knew Sheezel was pick 2 because North announced it.
Haha did you read that description of Ginbey

PLAYER COMPARISON : Jack Crisp

WA’s top prospect with an outstanding all-round athletic profile with WAFL league experience. Not necessarily a ‘wow’ player, but possesses excellent vision around stoppages and can play in various roles.

Your source of truth is a mock dradf which says Ginbey isn’t special….

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back