Preview Round 7, 2023: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide - Marvel Stadium, Friday 28th April, 7:50PM AEST *WOOD 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • Power

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was one who really lifted along with Hill and Sinclair in quarter 3. He didn't get a heap of clean possession but he was contesting everything he could get near. It's not like he's a passenger, he's earning his keep. If and when he looks stuffed or he's looked like he's hit a wall you can think about it then.

I'm feeling like he's just getting started. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a game where he just tears a side apart soon.
Agreed. His contest and tackling really stood up. How good was his tackle against Curnow. Reckon once he gets some more midfield time he’ll show it.

He is currently the 3rd favourite with the betting agencies behind Sheezel and Ashcroft but from what I've seen I would have him ahead of Ashcroft.

Off topic, but the funniest thing in betting markets right now is the way Carlton are priced against West Coast. Markets were paying ~$8.70 - $9.20 for all of Melbourne, Port and Cats against WC but the punters are really not sure about Carlton getting it done.

Also pissweak AFL that allowed a banned procedure to be strategically just out of grand final week as if the affected bloke didn't kick 3 in a game decided by 2.

There's something about a wrestling analogy where what the AFL wanted the AFL got and if it wasn't scripted it bloody well went close that they still CBF amending the record to 7 points.

Thankfully with Port, they tended to just torch us at contest, also thankfully chief space cadet Acres is now a Blue so we shouldn't get burned as much from that aspect for PTSD instances.

As Kosi said at an event I went to a couple of years ago, "we lost. let it go."

Couldn’t agree more Gringo. When you have a guy like Phillapou just pump games into him as fast as possible. Sure he’ll have some lessor games but he’s playing the toughest position on the ground. Also he will have his moments.
His handballs to advantage are elite...it's his BB nous. Highly underated

His handballs to advantage are elite...it's his BB nous. Highly underated
His work in traffic is exceptional for a first year player. Seems to have great awareness. Knows whats going on around him and his decision making is as good as you good hope for a first year player.

I thought he was one who really lifted along with Hill and Sinclair in quarter 3. He didn't get a heap of clean possession but he was contesting everything he could get near. It's not like he's a passenger, he's earning his keep. If and when he looks stuffed or he's looked like he's hit a wall you can think about it then.

I'm feeling like he's just getting started. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a game where he just tears a side apart soon.
He could very well take 2 MOTY contenders in one game

But we're the best team of all-time so we can afford to give players time off during the season because it doesn't matter who replaces them as we'll win anyway. I have us going 22-1.
Piss weak. I have us at 23-0

I've got issue with booing. I get it's part of the game. No issue with North fans wanting to have a crack when they play him.

But to single out one 19 year old kid that you don't particularly like and has had nothing to do with you or your clubs just to jump on a bandwagon, well it just becomes bullying.

We wouldn't even be talking about booing him if Collingwood didn't start it a few weeks back. Now all the degenerates have a sniff of blood and feel like they need to get involved 😂

Laugh at it if you like but it's embarrassing for all involved.
Ditto

Lots of factors, we were an unreliable boring side to watch and have been down for so long that we have had people get out of the habit of going. Add covid, cost, ticketing system and fixture and we are a pretty unattractive night out. Watching Ratts and Richo footy was as enjoyable as having your balls whipped with a birch branch dipped in dencorub. It was no wonder we lost punters.

I think people will start to get back on board now that we aren't boring and unreliable. My son doesn't need to be bribed at the moment for the first time in years. The best thing about the Essendon game was that there was a very big contingent of teenagers all getting into the game sitting behind goals taking selfies and screaming all night. Only older people and kids that had no choice seemed to go before.

Lmao

The murmur squad we call them
There was a young guy on here a few years ago who joined the cheer squad and was in the process of reclaiming it from the miserable old biddies who scowled at anyone who made too much noise (WTF seriously), but I don't know if he's still involved.

I'd love the club to be more proactive about improving our crowds beyond just making the team better, but at the end of the day too much of our support base is content to watch on TV rather than make the trip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies, replied before reading the rest of the thread as I knew I’d forget to when I got to the end!

It’s funny though, half a decade ago Billings would have been considered the unicorn. How times change.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Owens and King end up with the career Billings has had so far, I think I might just give it away.

There was a young guy on here a few years ago who joined the cheer squad and was in the process of reclaiming it from the miserable old biddies who scowled at anyone who made too much noise (WTF seriously), but I don't know if he's still involved.

I'd love the club to be more proactive about improving our crowds beyond just making the team better, but at the end of the day too much of our support base is content to watch on TV rather than make the trip.

I think it will take time but going to that Essendon match was like the old days where atmosphere beat anything that you could get from TV. Footy crowds pumping are an amazing experience. It takes a high standard of performance to provide the product to bring them though. Saints fans are still a little bit nervous about getting loud at the moment. It feels like it's trickling back. A strong cheer squad proving some noise would help though. Even GC had a guy with a drum thumping all game. Perhaps we need to hire a pro cheer squad leader who brings some extra energy.

I think it will take time but going to that Essendon match was like the old days where atmosphere beat anything that you could get from TV. Footy crowds pumping are an amazing experience. It takes a high standard of performance to provide the product to bring them though. Saints fans are still a little bit nervous about getting loud at the moment. It feels like it's trickling back. A strong cheer squad proving some noise would help though. Even GC had a guy with a drum thumping all game. Perhaps we need to hire a pro cheer squad leader who brings some extra energy.

Spot on Gringo… we have a generation of young supporters who have sat through a decade of boring, unsuccessful footy. They haven’t experienced the exhilaration of a huge St Kilda crowd like those of us who were lucky enough to be part of resurgences in the 90’s & late 00’s.

I’ve been taking my kids to as many ‘event’ games as possible in recent years, just so they can feel how amazing a massive crowd at a game can be.

The crowd noise on Tuesday when the filth were making their comeback was off its head… although the India v Pakistan T20 WC match last year was the loudest & most prolonged crowd noise I’ve even witnessed live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always been a believer that there’s enough talent on the list, but we needed someone better to extract it.
The beauty is now, the blend of talent, and the ages of such. We pretty much have a 1-2 players from each age between 19-29 years old that are contributing to wins each week.

This is a list that build that will hold in good stead for years to come.

Hadn't looked at this thread for a couple of days and then when I checked there seemed to be quite a few new pages. I was thinking there must have been some scandal or significant injury or something.

Jack Billings lol.

1679725556558.gif

I'm just about the furthest thing away from what you'd call an 'itk' (can barely get internet half the time 😄), but if JB plays on Friday I'll invoke the (admittedly flawed) spirit of Cairnsman and fly to Melbourne for a nudie run down Acland Street. Lordy lordy, with a well placed Saints scarf I'll even stop in for a Chocolate Kooglhoupf.

If Owens and King end up with the career Billings has had so far, I think I might just give it away.
Owens and King will have the benefit of developing and playing under an uber coach. Just like Roo etc did.

Sadly, the timing was not quite right for JB early. But he’s still got time. Not giving up on him now v

Hadn't looked at this thread for a couple of days and then when I checked there seemed to be quite a few new pages. I was thinking there must have been some scandal or significant injury or something.

Jack Billings lol.

View attachment 1671405

I'm just about the furthest thing away from what you'd call an 'itk' (can barely get internet half the time 😄), but if JB plays on Friday I'll invoke the (admittedly flawed) spirit of Cairnsman and fly to Melbourne for a nudie run down Acland Street. Lordy lordy, with a well placed Saints scarf I'll even stop in for a Chocolate Kooglhoupf.
Will hold you to this when he’s named as sub.

Owens and King will have the benefit of developing and playing under an uber coach. Just like Roo etc did.

Sadly, the timing was not quite right for JB early. But he’s still got time. Not giving up on him now v
That’s why I think there‘s a lot of upside for JB. Have a look at Mason Wood. Playing career best footy at 30.

I will be very interested to see how we come out against port after deliberately taking our foot off the gas in the last qtr against the blues.

That would have been a big no-no 'flirting with form'/picking and choosing effort that Ross 1.0 wouldn't have had a bar of.
He used to instruct them to pile on the pain when we were all over an opposition.

Not saying it was the wrong thing to do btw- just commenting that Ross 1.0 and cuddly Ross certainly differ in opinion sometimes.

If we come out lethargic and not switched on this week, I suspect the no mercy Ross 1.0 method could be taken up by cuddly Ross for the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back