Preview Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 18th May, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classy and versatile, he’s been very impressive imo. Someone said he was a chance to move recently so yeah we’d have to ask the question but I think the SA clubs would be front runners.
Would love him in the team...but would love Anderson more (If only)
On My Way Love GIF by The Woobles

Think Maxxy boy has been a victim of a few things so far, but can hopefully break through it giving some continuity.

- He isn't really a key forward in the same mould of Tom Lynch, but we've had to play him like that since he came in because we had no other options. Riewoldt had an old Stewy Loewe and then G-Train and Kosi as a cover. Max has been THE key forward since his first game.

- ACL Rehab and then the ankle injury in Sandy ruined his first season and then made the club wrap him in cotton wool - leaving him as a deep forward and not risking him with any run in the ruck or up the ground at all.

- TERRIBLE ball movement doesn't help because at times when he does lead, we can miss him by a mile or be so slow to make a decision that it doesn't matter.

No doubt he's out of form now, but it doesn't have to stay like that. I'd like us to leave one of Caminiti or Hayes as the deep get out target and just let Max off the leash a bit. Let him have the Jezza Cameron roaming style of play. Can you imagine him floating across packs on the wing and taking those marks down the line instead of trying to compete against 20 blokes in a school yard style markers up every time.
This.
How much better does he look playing up the field. Completely different player...and often just as effective in his goal kicking too. Max at full forward is a frustrating 2-3 goal player.
Max playing at CHF or on the wing is similarly a 2-3 goal player, but one where he gets to utilize his agility and talents to the benefit of those around him.

True but he has also been wrapped in 'cotton wool' and treated like some prince who cant leave his castle. He needs to be freed up and thrown into the ruck for short bursts to get him involved in the game and more used to around the ground contact. Teach him how to win the ball other than huge marks he has nothing else to his game. Thats the only way I see him improving his game, he has got to learn to become more robust and put in full effort for 120 minutes in games.

Agree with this. Keep Caminiti in the forward line and get Max more up the field, he's quite good in that role in the rare times he does it.

Would love him in the team...but would love Anderson more (If only)
On My Way Love GIF by The Woobles

I would love to get Humphrey, he looks like becoming a beast mid/forward similar to Petracca or Dusty but we probably have a snowball's chance in hell of getting any of those top liners that are locks in Gold Coast's best 22 unless they want to leave them.

It's more likely we would be a chance of getting one of their fringe players that is struggling to make their best 22 like Ben Long.

This.
How much better does he look playing up the field. Completely different player...and often just as effective in his goal kicking too. Max at full forward is a frustrating 2-3 goal player.
Max playing at CHF or on the wing is similarly a 2-3 goal player, but one where he gets to utilize his agility and talents to the benefit of those around him.

Yeah he looks more effective further up the ground where there is less pressure on him and he doesn't get swamped by defenders which happens to him when he is stationary at full forward, he is also a better kick going inside 50 rather than kicking for goal.

We can all see it so surely our coaches can see it too, if they don't use him more up the ground then you have to question them.

I know its Death Valley and all, but do we still know/remember that Dan Butler and Higgo both kicked 30+ goals down there last year?
Marvel ? The Docklands ? Down by the river ?
The Yarra ? That river ?
Be on my side. I'll be on your side, baby.
There is no reason for you to hide.
It's so hard for me staying here all alone,
When you could be taking me for a ride.

Ohhhh, la la la, ohhh, la la la, ohhh .........

I'm excited to see Collard, really hope he starts the game. Would love to see Hammer take his chance and rip a game apart too.

We desperately need a win just to provide some spark for the season.
You never know , Lyon showed last year with the amount of injuries we had with the right attitude you can win games.
I'm hoping Lyon can breath life into the side and win a bunch of games to finish the year on a good note.
I always remember when Stan Alves was coaching we started the year about the same as we have this year but finished the year off shocking everyone making the finals , in fact it might be the year we made the grand final and got beaten by the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm excited to see Collard, really hope he starts the game. Would love to see Hammer take his chance and rip a game apart too.

We desperately need a win just to provide some spark for the season.

Yeah it would be great to see Collard show his skills and light it up with a few goals, even one goal from him would be a positive.

I've got no doubt one of the reasons he was picked was that it's the indigenous round and the indigenous players all lift for it.

Ben Long played his best game for the Gold Coast last night after looking pretty ordinary for them in his other games for them.

Hopefully Hammer can get back to the form he showed last year, he has shown some glimpses of it this year but we need more.

If only a 900 goal key forward would offer to help him

Or if only a favourite son of the club and key forward known for his second, third and fourth leads would get down to the club and offer some advice

Might be late to the party. I could easily be Sandra'd.

If this is true. Then I'm a bit lost as to how Roo could actually have the nerve to give him a serve.
Roll up the sleeves. Don't take potshots from the sidelines.

Hayes probably the unlucky one. Was good two weeks ago, they were obviously really unimpressed by his Hawthorn game.

The other changes all make sense to me, don't get the angst at all. For example, there's only so much to gain from Collard playing VFL.
I swear that there was something tapped to the back of his knee in that second half. Camera only on him for a second or two in that third quarter.

Might be late to the party. I could easily be Sandra'd.

If this is true. Then I'm a bit lost as to how Roo could actually have the nerve to give him a serve.
Roll up the sleeves. Don't take potshots from the sidelines.

It’s a pile on ATM. Hopefully Maxi can use it to motivate himself. Roo obviously needed to get some meatballs and or clicks.

I would love to get Humphrey, he looks like becoming a beast mid/forward similar to Petracca or Dusty but we probably have a snowball's chance in hell of getting any of those top liners that are locks in Gold Coast's best 22 unless they want to leave them.

It's more likely we would be a chance of getting one of their fringe players that is struggling to make their best 22 like Ben Long.

Yeah he looks more effective further up the ground where there is less pressure on him and he doesn't get swamped by defenders which happens to him when he is stationary at full forward, he is also a better kick going inside 50 rather than kicking for goal.

We can all see it so surely our coaches can see it too, if they don't use him more up the ground then you have to question them.
To me he's not 100% both mentally or physically. Sticking him at Full forward - a position he appears too physically fragile to play in - seems counter productive both for him, and the team.
If he is under an injury cloud, then surely he could be building his strength and conditioning for Sandringham...rather than having him hammered week in and week out. It's not good for him or us. At the moment he is just taking up space...space that can be covered by stronger bodies.
The guy is a major talent, if he could get himself right...and make the appropriate adjustments to his game (both mentally and physically) and if he was actually used properly. We may finally get to see it all come together for him.
There's a lot to work with, but there's also a lot of work to do. After 6 years (not the last few games, which one poster here keeps assuming I'm basing my opinions on 🤷🏼‍♂️) I would have thought he'd be further along. So much of it though is because of him being played out of position. He may have been a full forward in juniors...but in the big leagues he's not.

Humphrey would be great...not a chance in hell unfortunately, GC is the AFL's Bambi...even if we threw the millions we've been reported to have, I reckon it would be kiboshed by some new AFL stipulation.
I reckon we're allowed to get into the knickers drawers of any other team...just not GC (and probably North)

It’s a pile on ATM. Hopefully Maxi can use it to motivate himself. Roo obviously needed to get some meatballs and or clicks.
Dunno, Roo didn't exactly do the job in the finals- I would prefer Lyon play Max in another position, not FF where is he is not suited. The captain needs to lead, and if a player is down on form, then the captain needs to get involved, but I don't think there is strong leadership on field at the moment.

If where looking for upgrades & we do have to replace Skunk as I feel this will be his last year at the saints, Reef McIness at Collingwood is the one proven he can play AFL & always 1st to go when Mihoceh comes back too good for VFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My issue is, that if Ralph is correct. Max and his team have reached out to Roo and been given donuts.
But when given the opportunity Roo has a dig on his podcast. Poor form from an ex-captain of the club.

You never know , Lyon showed last year with the amount of injuries we had with the right attitude you can win games.
I'm hoping Lyon can breath life into the side and win a bunch of games to finish the year on a good note.
I always remember when Stan Alves was coaching we started the year about the same as we have this year but finished the year off shocking everyone making the finals , in fact it might be the year we made the grand final and got beaten by the Crows.
1997 we won one of our first five and were second last after round five. Miracles can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back