Review Round 20 = Collingwood 76-93 Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve generally always been a supporter of Taylor adams but his inside 50 kicks have become quite atrocious.. he really needs to be instructed to either hand it off if bomb it long to a contest. Those dinky little forward 50 passes just aren’t adding anything and he seems to kick straight to an oppo more often than not

Feel so flat. Nice to see Curnow kissed on the dick by the umps again. Seems to always get a handful of frees when he plays us.

He deserved a lot of them because Darcy Moore forgot to insert his brain before play today. Seriously, he was off with the fairies. I reckon the hold when Moore had two hands in his face was bullshit, but the others were just bad errors.

And Moores kicking can be really, really off. And Taylor Adams....sheesh. Oh well, onto next week!!

I’ve generally always been a supporter of Taylor adams but his inside 50 kicks have become quite atrocious.. he really needs to be instructed to either hand it off if bomb it long to a contest. Those dinky little forward 50 passes just aren’t adding anything and he seems to kick straight to an oppo more often than not
Had a mare and really lead the early charge towards mediocrity tonight. I know he is heart and soul but he just kills us with his i50 kicking.

Look you may argue that Frampton should play back instead of howe

But if you think Howe should play forward ahead of AJ you weren't watching closely enough tonight (perhaps just watching on telly)

Cox had a shocker but Lipinski wasn’t terrible. No worse than DeGoey, Sidebottom or Pendles and miles better than Adams, McCreery and various others on an ugly night.
Yeah, I thought Lipinski was definitely better tonight than last week and the week before. I think there was one particular howler late in the game that's stuck in people's minds though.

That said, I don't think he offers a lot and doesn't really suit our style of play. He's slow and soft. He's a really good kick.... if he's not under any pressure, and that's his best attribute.

Winning can mask over some issues for sure.

What I am starting to see is that teams are changing the way they play for 1 week just to combat the way we play and we are still just trying to playing our way in spite of it.

As each week goes by you can see the opposition getting better and better at stopping our style. Losses to the Dees, Blues and almost Port is too many games recently where the opposition looked tougher around the ball and were able to clog up the midfield and intercept our handball chains frequently.
Yep, as much as Flys influence has been amazing we are still very much in the realm of “collingwood” - fatally flawed.

I love the way we play and have enjoyed the season, but we’re just not ruthless.

Teams do always get up for us, which is frustrating, we never get a cheat week and next week really looks tough with huge implications if we cannot get it together.

Fingers crossed Fly has something up his sleeve or at least makes some visible adjustments to personal and in-game (it’s ok to possess for a few minutes mid quarter if the other team is getting a run on).

A defender cannot compete in a marking contest with Curnow, because he's untouchable. The umps give this bloke a free at nearly every contest, and the tosser lays on the ground with arms up pleading for a free, and usually gets it....
Agree on the most but have to admit whilst most tiggy touch, most frees were valid. Sure we’d scream out for them if they were on Checkers etc.

Having said that, I’m sure we’d welcome him with open arms if he said he’d like to come to Collingwood.

I was at the game and this is as poor as we have played for the past 2 seasons.

Lacked intensity and thirst for the contest. Put it down to hard game against Port, or the loss we had to have but gee were we’re off tonight.

Too many players were poor tonight to call them all out.

But thought Cameron was terrific all night and our defensive 6 worked hard against the odds and umpires all night. Also shout out to Macstay who took some nice grabs but failed to really convert.

Onwards and upwards.

Plenty to look forward to - go pies

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the AFL website has Darcy Moore as our best player on the night. Thought it was one of the worse games I have seen him play.
100% it was a horrible game.

We did a lot right tonight.
I’m not stressed about this at all.

At this point, for us, it’s about learning what everyone wil take away and showing them nothing,

Agree on the most but have to admit whilst most tiggy touch, most frees were valid. Sure we’d scream out for them if they were on Checkers etc.

Having said that, I’m sure we’d welcome him with open arms if he said he’d like to come to Collingwood.

Difference is we don't get those soft frees that Curnow gets in front of goal. I wouldn't care if they were consistent at both ends but they aren't.

The good:

• Elliott’s hanger
  • Howe’s goals
  • Howe’s game
  • Breakout game for McStay in Collingwood colours
  • Cameron played well
  • Great turnout

The bad:

• The result
  • Our goal kicking accuracy
  • Centre clearances. Again.

The ugly:

- Me when we lose to Carlton

Moores disposal was horrible at times. Also seemed to pick the wrong option or wasn't on the same page as the moving player.

In our forward line we had one defender to avoid and we still couldn't do that properly. That's one of my concerns - we still have not learnt from the Melbourne game.

There is a lot we need to fix or we won't be beating the Brions come finals.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

The Blues bought on the pressure and seemed to position themselves better throughout the whole night.

Credit to where credit is due.

Curnow got some soft ones. But they were technically there.

We will regroup and take some learnings from that. Not all doom and gloom.
I'd like to be able to have a moan about Curnow's free kicks, but they were all there. 2 of them were pretty soft, but technically there. I wish Trav had gotten that treatment when he was playing.

Lots of boys were off tonight, bad skill errors cost us, quite embarrassing to lose to that mediocre filth tonight.
I want to see AJ come in for Cox.

Needs to play in the middle like the previous two weeks where he was great. Mitchell again underperformed for clearances with 0 in the first half and 4 for the game. We need Crisp and Adams back in the middle.

Since returning from injury, Howe has looked lost in defence. So much so that I would not hesitate to replace him with Frampton. And up forward, AJ is far more proven in a similar 3rd forward role, despite Howe’s great cameo tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes agree on Ash, he does pop up for important goals too.

I do feel you’d get a more consistent output from Howe in the role, but Ash is you feast or famine player who could pop up in a big game and kick 3. I’m conservative so would probably go with Howe, but Fly seems to play dice so Ash may be the one with Howe out.

Lippa has to have a spell too, he’s not getting better and is still a break (or delay) in our forward chains at critical moments.

I’m thinking 2010 at the moment in the sense of shuffling out the older good players to bring in the young guns. Players like Lockyer and even Presti for example made way for the younger players even someone like Blair got a chance. Is it too early for this probably but 2024 could be interesting. We have 3 or 4 kids in the VFL just raring to go and mixed in with Pendles, Jordy and the Daicos’s it could be interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back