Review Round 20 = Collingwood 76-93 Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Was not our night, thats for sure.
Got smashed everywhere. Couldn't score. Turnovers.
When Jamie Elliott is off you know we have issues.

But they'll learn from this, maybe a bit of a reality check that we have been just been going, but there is time to fix these easy errors.

Good:

•McStay could be dangerous with better ball movement
•Howe’s cameo up forward
•DC is slowly building
•Markov can’t put a foot wrong
•Crisp starting to resemble 2021/2 Crisp

Bad:

•Lack of pressure/handling pressure
•Teams chip kicking over our zone
•Lack of speed through the midfield
•Couldn’t execute basic fundamentals for most of the night
•Cox sticks out when he has a stinker
•Ditto Adams
•Lippa’s form

Ugly:

•Goal kicking
•Kick-ins
•Getting smashed in contested possession

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cox is really choosing the worst time to be playing poorly.

Now is the time to find out what the best mix is the way we have set up our season.

I love Coxy and his career to date has been a terrific story, but right now he isn't in our best 23. The past 5 weeks from him have been really poor, and l'm not sure where his improvement is going to come from at senior level, so he needs to go back to VFL level, and see if he can work on his contested marking, body positioning in marking contests and improve his ruck craft before he gets another run at senior level.

Last edited:

Maybe you should support another team, you clearly don't rate us even though we are on top of the ladder and have won 16 games, how dare we have an off night after beating the second side on the ladder 6 days ago on a way night and interstate, try to enjoy the season
I will say this once only: my comments are not based solely on tonight’s game. The issues arising tonight existed in previous games.

The good:

• Elliott’s hanger
  • Howe’s goals
  • Howe’s game
  • Breakout game for McStay in Collingwood colours
  • Cameron played well
  • Great turnout

The bad:

• The result
  • Our goal kicking accuracy
  • Centre clearances. Again.

The ugly:

- Me when we lose to Carlton

Watching Howe play up forward, tells me we badly erred in not playing Johnson. It should have been Cox out for Johnson at the selection table...

Last edited:
Sigh. So combative, always. It’s okay for someone to have an alternative view that does not provide complete unwavering support of the club.

I think the club has done wonderfully this year. However, given the club’s history in finals, I am concerned that other sides will “work out” the game plan as the season progresses and we will not win the flag. I think that concern is fact-based, based on more than tonight’s game and I have seen other supporters and media commentators make similar comments about our game plan.

I am more than content for you to disagree with my opinion.
Understand you’re concern and points.

But….clubs have been trying to work us out for the entire year.
We know this. Fly has alluded to as much that we won’t show our hand (specifically last week against port).

To date, not many clubs have worked us out. Each time they try, it gives us an understanding of how combat it.

Don’t stress….it’s July. Still a month before the real stuff starts!!!

Watching Howe play up forward, tells me we badly erred in not playing Johnson. Ot should have been Cox out for Johnson at the selection table...

We now know what swinging Howe forward in-game looks like. It was a learning experience we wouldn’t have got if AJ played.

I'd like to be able to have a moan about Curnow's free kicks, but they were all there. 2 of them were pretty soft, but technically there. I wish Trav had gotten that treatment when he was playing.

The Cox one was, the Moore one wasn’t, they were both holding each other.

I’m thinking 2010 at the moment in the sense of shuffling out the older good players to bring in the young guns. Players like Lockyer and even Presti for example made way for the younger players even someone like Blair got a chance. Is it too early for this probably but 2024 could be interesting. We have 3 or 4 kids in the VFL just raring to go and mixed in with Pendles, Jordy and the Daicos’s it could be interesting.
Which kids in the VFL are raring to go? I have watched ever VFL game this year and I can't name one.

I’d call it 2.5 50’s. Murphy got ripped on his 2nd 1.

I also didn’t have an issue with Curnow’s frees. They were all there. Reckon he even got ripped off an obvious 1.
Of course they were there!!
The entire “were they there” is always a rubbish argument.

So let me ask you this….
If those were “there”….how many frees in the game (both sides) were actually missed?

It’s not the ones they pay (afl wil always be able to explain them on replay)….it’s the ones they dont pay that make a Difference to a game.

Stop being silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox and Lipinski are giving us nothing at the moment. Hill will be a welcome return, and Lipinski needs to pull the finger out if Ginnivan continues getting 25 touches and 2 goals per game in the VFL.

Fin Macrae could’ve been a chance next weekend, but he is now injured. Expect Johnson, Frampton and Ginnivan to be looked at next weekend.
Frampton and Johnson yes, but they are not kids. Ginnivan was ok last week but I still think Hill is the better option for the small forward spot than Ginnivan

I'm kinda doing stream of consciousness here but...
It has felt over last 2 weeks like we are just second to the ball and not winning enough ground / loose ball. Also work rate seems a bit down- not seeming to want to try that hard.
I'm not sure exactly what is going on there. It has kinda seemed like we are outnumbered and beaten on the inside but then also on the outside... I don't know if that even makes sense.
Is it the player mix or positioning? Effort? I don't know

I usually back Jordy but his disposal was putrid at critical moments. Still waiting/hoping he finds that composure and polish.

Especially that shot on goal that he had after bursting through congestion, and kicked it out on the full. By that stage my frustrations were engulfing me, and that DeGoey miss tipped me over the edge!!!!!

Last edited:
It didn’t feel like effort was the issue last week, but it did tonight. Got smashed in contested footy even though Walsh didn’t play and Cerra went off injured. There’s really no explanation other than lack of effort/intensity.

I usually back Jordy but his disposal was putrid at critical moments. Still waiting/hoping he finds that composure and polish.
I don't think that will ever happen. He never had it and never will I'm afraid. We're just going to have to live with his 50% kicking effeciency.

It didn’t feel like effort was the issue last week, but it did tonight. Got smashed in contested footy even though Walsh didn’t play and Cerra went off injured. There’s really no explanation other than lack of effort/intensity.
a lack of tackling pressure all over the ground too, definitely looked flat and lacking effort

Remove this Banner Ad

Back