Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Had someone told me prior to the trade period that we will be trading our 24 1st and a 2nd rounder I would have expected to get a better player then Shultz

Unfortunately, it's no secret that I am a very unattractive man. Due to always leading with my face and just genetic ugliness. I tried to join the sex party as a last resort but they turned me away
I see what you mean.

But hats off to you, not many on bigfooty are brave enough to use a real photo of themselves as their avatar.

Glad to get Schultz but we overpaid in a massive way.

Hugely disappointed we have no first round pick next year and this year's first round pick is basically second round... I didnt see small forwards as deficiency we needed to give our future first round pick to address.
He's a gun. My favourite player outside of the Pie's boys. My son and I have been big fans of Lachie for the past couple of years. He leaves nothing in the tank and just uses his body as a battering ram. He can take a good contested mark as well as crumb goals. I thought his highlights package should have featured a few of his speccies.

To get a player who is in the top 5 in the league for his position and arguably the hardest position to play, who will be a lock in the 22 for that position for the next 5+ years, this is unders and anyone who thinks we paid overs, doesn't understand this.

This allows McCreery to play more midfield and throw his weight around.

This allows Hill to rotate on the wing more often.

This puts pressure on Ginnivan to constantly improve.

This covers Elliott who I love and adore but with his history of soft tissue injuries and the sad fact he is turning 32 next season, is potentially playing his last season next year.

This makes us a lot more potent up forward which was a weakness for us in a premiership season.

Huge win, massive unders, welcome Lachie.
Anyone complaining about what it cost us is never going to be happy. He is a great addition and will be a part of our future for the next five years at least. Great pick up.

I really like Schultz given the way we play, but think we gave up too much. It effectively impacts our trading next year too as we can't trade out that first to upgrade.

Still, who gives a Shiite about that if we are top 4 again and competing for a flag.
How else do you think you get quality walk up best 22 players into our club?

I always trust Wrighty. Last 3 premiers all slid the following year

Richmond 2020 - missed finals
Melbourne 2021 - out in straight sets
Geelong 2022 - missed finals
Three years of sample size doesn’t make a competition trend. Those clubs had their own issues. I feel only injury to key players would lead to us sliding significantly. I think the competition caught up to us in the last third of the season, but we showed a spirit in finals that lifted our strong list above all others. B2B24 could be even more difficult than than 23, but most on our list have headroom to play even better in 24. B2B24 is real.

I am disgusted in myself for thinking Sidey should have been traded to an expansion club a couple of years ago. Even though I loved that little bald bastard, I thought time had caught up with him. JFC he and Pendles were key to this GF😍

He seems like a good pick,up,but I can’t help but feel that we paid too much for him.If we had an equivalent player at Collingwood who wanted to leave,we probably would have only got a second rounder for him at best,not the first and second rounder that we’re paying for Schultz.

Some on here are severely overrating draft picks. The notion of "proven player" picks is a sensible one, especially when considering the immediate impact and durability players like Lachie bring to the team. Investing in a player with a track record not only ensures we get at least a hundred games of high-quality performance but also helps keep us in contention. It's all too easy to overrate future draft picks, but the reality is, waiting for the "perfect" pick often leaves us empty-handed. If the upcoming draft will be compromised, then this should only strengthen the argument for securing a proven player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some on here are severely overrating draft picks. The notion of "proven player" picks is a sensible one, especially when considering the immediate impact and durability players like Lachie bring to the team. Investing in a player with a track record not only ensures we get at least a hundred games of high-quality performance but also helps keep us in contention. It's all too easy to overrate future draft picks, but the reality is, waiting for the "perfect" pick often leaves us empty-handed. The belief that our upcoming draft will be compromised should only strengthen the argument for securing a proven player.

Absolutely correct. Not every first round pick - let alone any pick - guarantees success in the drafted player. We have a list of draftees that rarely made the paddock, let alone provided us with service over a prolonged period. As the saying goes, a bird in the hand....

He seems like a good pick,up,but I can’t help but feel that we paid too much for him.If we had an equivalent player at Collingwood who wanted to leave,we probably would have only got a second rounder for him at best,not the first and second rounder that we’re paying for Schultz.
A proven bird in the hand is worth more than two unproven in the bush!

Coming off a premiership does this guy improve our side and club, a definite yes. Couldn’t give a heck about next years 1st, could be another Billy Morrison for all we know. If they’ve got a plan for a big trade or something next year then I’m confident they got an option for that as well.
This guys will improve us immensely. Rapt.

There’s always a risk with trading a future first which is has tempered my excitement. If we play finals then it’s a non-issue and a fair trade, however I can I can understand why some supporters are cautious after the 2021 fiasco.

However, we have recruited one of the better small forwards in the league who has been plying his trade in one of the worst forward line/systems around. Entering his prime, it’s well in the realm of possibilities that he takes his game to the next level with us and has an AA type season - our game plan is built for players like him.

Great highlights package. Looks extremely well balanced and proficient with both feet.
Agreed. And his tackling is ferocious, too. The only concern I had was the number of times the highlights package showed a mark inside fifty but then didn't show his shot on goal. Was it not shown because it was a fait acompli or because he missed? How's his conversion rate?

We are in a Premiership window right now.

In the past we have butchered seasons following a flag and this time while Pendlebury, Sidey, Howe etc are still up and about contributing strongly we need to top up to try to win a 2nd and 3rd flag.

You just don't often get these opportunities with a seasoned list to go for it. So, yes we may have over-paid for Schultz but we need to add more goal scoring power to finish off the work of our strong defence. We ARE addressing a need, just like we did with McStay, Mitchell, Hill, Frampton and the surprise packet of the year The Leg Man!.

Good times ahead.

In Wrighty I trust.

:collingwood:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back