Trade Period 2023 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly reckon out of all players traded this year only one could be considered a legitimate ‘star’ - Brodie Grundy.

Oh, and Brandon Ryan.

I honestly reckon out of all players traded this year only one could be considered a legitimate ‘star’ - Brodie Grundy.

Oh, and Brandon Ryan.
Shultz is a gun, you just don't know it yet because he plays for Freo. Wait till the media faun over him after pulling on a Pies jumper.

In the middle of all our frothing of the absolute superstars out mobs have picked up and the talented, characterless shitheads we've flicked, let's take a moment to reflect on three absolute leviathans of the caper who have passed / moved on.
The father, the son and the holy spirit of Trade Week, proudly brought it you by Continental Tires, Rheem Solar Hot Water Systems, McDonalds, Doreen's Cake Shop and BETS-R-US (gamble responsibly, terms.and conditions apply).

Matty Rendell (RIP, genuinely sad)
Terry Wallace (the expert in this space, as Purps would attest - sorely missed)
Two Jackets Dodoro: the dodo might be extinct, but there'll never be another unit quite as fashion forward and ruthless as the people's prince.
Excelsior, lads. Excelsior 😥✊

Short Term Freo are losers but could end big winners next year if they manage to lure Logan McDonald to the club.

I also think The Crows were losers in a way, Burgess is just an okay player that may be a good back up, but they spent too much time chasing Harrison Petty that they dropped the ball in trying to improve their midfield (their main weakness)

Granted there was not many quality ones on the market (who would want to go to SA) but they should have done more to try bundle their way into the top 7 or so of the national draft (which admittedly could still happen on the night of the draft)

Port Adelaide lost that by a length of the Flemington.

IN: Ivan Soldo, Jordan Sweet, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Esava Ratugolea
OUT: Pick 25, Pick 50, Future First, a future second-rounder tied to Freo.

Essendon losers I reckon. 850k over six years for McKay is nuts. Add whatever they paid Gresham to get band 2, and I think they will be regretting using so much cap on these two.

…and Kane Cornes will add 20% to those salaries in the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Port Adelaide lost that by a length of the Flemington.

IN: Ivan Soldo, Jordan Sweet, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Esava Ratugolea
OUT: Pick 25, Pick 50, Future First, a future second-rounder tied to Freo.
I’m really scratching my head with what they’ve done.

traded a future first and Duursma (a former pick 18) for a bunch of fringe players.

can’t wait for Kane Cornes to explain why this was such a good trade period for the . Because it looks like a car crash to me.

they are one injury to butters or Rozee away from having traded out a 2024 top 10 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m really scratching my head with what they’ve done.

traded a future first and Duursma (a former pick 18) for a bunch of fringe players.

can’t wait for Kane Cornes to explain why this was such a good trade period for the . Because it looks like a car crash to me.

they are one injury to butters or Rozee away from having traded out a 2024 top 10 pick.
They desperately needed to plug holes down back which they have down to some degree

They desperately needed to plug holes down back which they have down to some degree
Not sure the plugs are big enough to fill the holes though

Surprised at a few clubs lack of action. GWS not trying to improve their list, Geelong and Richmond not really doing anything
Strange take.
Needed competent rucks, got Soldo and Sweet.
Needed some height down back, got Ratugolea and Zerk Thatcher.
Duursma an obvious talent, but he's had injury and form struggles.
Clearly upside if he bounces back.
What exactly did you expect from Port if the outcome is so ordinary in your view?

Essendon losers I reckon. 850k over six years for McKay is nuts. Add whatever they paid Gresham to get band 2, and I think they will be regretting using so much cap on these two.
We have stupid amounts of cap space. I’m pretty sure we still struggled to hit the cap floor after bringing them in.

Winners:
  • Brisbane adding Doedee for free to a grand final side, and adding a bargain ruck-forward who has already shown signs.
  • Sydney adding four best 22 players whilst keeping their first round pick. Puts them in a position to ideally contend once more.
  • St Kilda were clean by adding speed in Henry and Dow for good prices. Billings and Gresham were expendable and they got a good pick for Gresham.
  • West Coast couldn't do much in their position, but Flynn can play from what I've seen and Brockman will be a gem. Supporters should be happy.

Meh and worth commenting on:
  • Adelaide did really well in their Burgess and McAdam trades but their failure to attract any best 22 players despite numerous attempts is a bit ordinary. Will need improvement to come from within.
  • Collingwood acquiring Schultz is big but the future first round pick will be an interesting watch if they don't go top four. Probably should have recruited a depth defender given the uncertainty on Murphy
  • Essendon we've seen this episode before 6 years ago when they picked up Saad, Stringer and Smith. I like McKay but not at the price. Gresham will be a whipping boy in no time and Duursma is less than ordinary.
  • Melbourne covered their areas of need fairly well in my opinion without bringing in any clear guns. Keeping Petty was the biggest win.
  • North added some serviceable depth and improved their draft hand. However with Toby Pink and Tristan Xerri as their best key defender and ruck going into 2024, they could have done more.

Losers:
  • Port Adelaide do not have a premiership quality list and just gave up on almost two whole drafts to recruit three players who could conceivably play SANFL next year, and Esava who is a below average key defender. Looks absolutely horrible.
  • Fremantle's inability to neither acquire good players nor hold onto key players has killed what they had building in 2021. Another year of nothing looms.
  • the Hawks got a good deal for Ginnivan but they butchered their work by trading Ryan and getting little for Brockman. Gunston adds nothing beyond sentimentality. Also overpaid for Chol.

Last edited:
Short Term Freo are losers but could end big winners next year if they manage to lure Logan McDonald to the club.

I also think The Crows were losers in a way, Burgess is just an okay player that may be a good back up, but they spent too much time chasing Harrison Petty that they dropped the ball in trying to improve their midfield (their main weakness)

Granted there was not many quality ones on the market (who would want to go to SA) but they should have done more to try bundle their way into the top 7 or so of the national draft (which admittedly could still happen on the night of the draft)
On paper it looks bad but we actually have quite a balanced list with some question marks on young players. No point bringing in more players at the same level when we have some depth with untried kids or C graders. The improvement needs to come from the young guns anyway and we were only 3 wins off 5th in the end.

I'd rather have more questions answered in 12 months while being loaded on Capital to fill some identified holes or plug gaps if anyone else wants to leave.

Winners:
Sydney: Added immediate best 22 players
Carlton: Hollands was a bargain
Collingwood: brought in a very good player and moved on some depth
Essendon: Brought in best 22 players with McKay's contract the only negative
West Coast: best 22 players at very little cost

Losers
Geelong: Lost KP depth and added no best 22 players.
GWS: On the cusp of a grand final and made no effort to improve best 22
North: Brought in some terrible players. I like Nyuon though
Port Adelaide: Probably biggest loser. Loaded up on list cloggers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back