Fixture Mens 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope, Rugby is in Aus

Gold Coast Titans directly clash with the suns game, both in QLD

They have 2x Vegas games the week before that but the other 6 or so games are here and the same week as "opening round"
Well that just makes the whole thing even worse. Is it just so NRL doesn’t get free air time the week before the AFL starts? If so they should just start the entire season a week early and have two bye rounds (not spread out over 4 weeks each) make them rounds 8&9 and 16&17 and ensure everyone plays an opponent also coming off the bye the following week so no one gets an advantage.

Well that just makes the whole thing even worse. Is it just so NRL doesn’t get free air time the week before the AFL starts? If so they should just start the entire season a week early and have two bye rounds (not spread out over 4 weeks each) make them rounds 8&9 and 16&17 and ensure everyone plays an opponent also coming off the bye the following week so no one gets an advantage.
Rugby gets free airtime the week before anyway as their round 1 is split over 2 weeks

Think the AFL was hoping they would put their Vegas games and the rest of their round 1 all on one week, then have a bye in between 1 and 2 but instead they did the split round.

The AFL already liked the idea they came up with and stuck with it even though it doesn't make as much sense

I’m normally pretty reasonable and look for positives in most things Freo and AFL, but this round 0 / opening round and bye situation is completely shitehouse crap

I thought it was a joke when I first heard it...

Maybe next year they can call it Round X to make it even more of a pointless re-branding.

They are annoying their entire heartland across several states to try get a few extra people in the gate in Qld and NSW. Most of the extra fans will be Melbourne based supporters of the big clubs that travel up for Labour Day weekend anyway.
People in Gold Coast and western Sydney don’t give a s**t about AFL football. This isn’t going to change it.
I'm not endorsing the way the AFL does stuff because its painfully unfair, but their approach is definitely working here in QLD.

The rugby is in Las Vegas that weekend so they are striking while the home owner is out.
Las Vegas game is on March 2.

AFL starts on March 7.

I think the AFL got the weeks messed up and made a complete balls up of it.

Rugby League in QLD & Sydney is on same time as this Round Zero across the weekend 7,8,9 March.

Las Vegas game is on March 2.

AFL starts on March 7.

I think the AFL got the weeks messed up and made a complete balls up of it.

Rugby League in QLD & Sydney is on same time as this Round Zero across the weekend 7,8,9 March.

I expect it's actually a lot more prosaic and boring, it's probably based on when they can get stadiums and satisfy club requirements for a full pre-season.

I thought maybe an argument could be made if it was all last years finalists playing each other, having come off a shorter pre-season.

Why not just add a round and start that week earlier? Play the northern states over thursday/friday/saturday, then everyone else on the sunday.

And the split bye rounds can get in the bin.

1x bye week, during which: mid season draft, AFLW state of origin & under 18's showcase matches. Even the WA vs SA (etc.) state league games that week and give them some air time.

The problem with the logic was feeling that they had to satisfy their Victorian stakeholders with a faux you-still-get-a-season-launch with the ancient tradition (since 2015(!)) of a Carlton/Richmond style opener. The alternative was just have a round 1 with GWS on a Thursday night, Sydney on Friday night and Gold Coast on a Saturday night all playing big Vic teams and just let them winge for a week and then it's all forgotten.

They would rather disadvantage half the comp and create half a season of fixture congestion than answer a few irate phone calls and texts from big Vic club presidents. This where the admin all being elite private Melbourne schoolboys super secret handshake club members is a problem as it makes them susceptible to a whole range of pressures properly independent administrators wouldn't even factor in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought maybe an argument could be made if it was all last years finalists playing each other, having come off a shorter pre-season.

Why not just add a round and start that week earlier? Play the northern states over thursday/friday/saturday, then everyone else on the sunday.

And the split bye rounds can get in the bin.

1x bye week, during which: mid season draft, AFLW state of origin & under 18's showcase matches. Even the WA vs SA (etc.) state league games that week and give them some air time.
Give the lower leagues air time! Fat chance of that! They could have the start of the U18 national carnival that weekend, vic county vs vic metro and SA vs WA. Then the state leagues could decide for themselves if they want to take advantage of relatively free air with interstate games or internal rival rounds to get the football starved public through the gates.

I am very curious about what they do with the Tas team making it 19 teams (if they don’t relocate NM) it means one team every week has a bye.
Could they introduce a NT team to make it twenty teams?
That's easy to predict. There'll be 38 byes spread across 24 rounds. The least advantageous rounds to have a bye will be at the start of the year.
Pencil in us or the budgies for a bye in round 1 2028

I'm expecting there to be rolling rounds called something marketing language like "Festival of footy" where clubs will play each other on five to nine day breaks but every week - some clubs will be a game ahead of the rest and some a game behind at all times until the end of the season when all the clubs will have played their 22 games.

There won't be a period mid week where the dust settles and the order of teams will be known.

My goodness, the AFL are really gonna wait until the Socceroos play tonight before releasing the full fixture aren't they?

If we were playing our 2nd game maybe.

Its an absolute rort how next year has been scheduled.
More about them. Theory being GF teams psychologically fire up for the first game overcoming their smaller off-season , with a psychological let-down in round 2 and the preseason has more impact.

My goodness, the AFL are really gonna wait until the Socceroos play tonight before releasing the full fixture aren't they?
More than likely not wanting to overlap the Gettable show.

Here's some err news that's about to drop.

We have 3x Friday night games and because we're playing in Darwin and Adelaide we have no home games between rounds 4 and 7. Rounds 4, 5, 6 away I'm hearing, one of those is the Eagles home derby.

We are clearly the AFLs favourite child right?

One of those Friday night games is our home derby late in the season where there won't be dedicated public transport.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back