Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoyed going down there today to eyeball some of the new guys and see how everyone is looking this time of year. As per last year lots of professionalism in the form of well organised drills and verbal from the playing group. Noticed Windy and Jones calling out instructions, lots of encouragement. I'm not sure if I've seen such a well sized group in a while especially with young guns Windy, Owens (surely full beast mode next season), Pou, Wangamilly etc.. all putting on size. Hotton's a good size.

Of the new recruits I really wanted to get a look at Shoey's kicking and saw him slot a practice shot from boundary about 45 out like he was sipping water. Excellent stuff. Willy or Darce as they were calling him looked thinner than what I was expecting (Schoenmaker's a great size and ran laps well) but saw his vertical leap which I think he did well (first?) at the combine, just popped up off the ground to mark.

Paddy Dow runs on top of the ground nicely as you'd expect and looks well suited to the team. Same with Bonner (who I at least think was Bonner). Hunter looks more like a man in his body now, and him and Dow doing one on one stuff was wicked to watch. Both quick hard cats. Same with Sincs and Henry - both powerful explosive units.

Keeler seems to be filling into his body better now and has lost (for me) an awkwardness in his body from last year. Saw a sketch of what he might become. Good things. Howard's shape looks different bit more filled out in a good way, and Campbell in supreme condition as you'd expect. Hastie was smaller and thinner than what I was expecting, needs to put on a lot in my view, but the Irish guy O'Connell was decent and quite tall. King came out toward the end running laps - he looks perfect, don't think he can get much better physically - freak.

Training Friday 8/12

Rehab group: Crouch, Steele, King, Hotton, Owens Van Ess, Wood, O’Connell

Drills focused on ball movement, both offensive (ie, moving the ball from halfway line of the ground into the forward line) as well as out of defence. Lots of quick, short, sharp kicks, with most kicks hitting a leading forward target.

Really impressed with Pou & Windy. Very keen and diligent trainers and seemed like they were the first back and ready to go after each drink break.

Zac Jones trained really well, and his pace is a real feature. I know he has his knocks, but his pace is a real point of difference for us. He looks fit again after a year interrupted by injury.

Liam Henry looked really sharp. Great defensive efforts during the drills and intercepted many forward thrusts. He’s been really impressive all week. Looks to have fit in really well with the group.

Howard also moving really well and looks to be back in full fitness. I know he has a lot of critics, but structurally he is really important.

Hunter Clarke trained really well and is so clean below his knees. His kicking skills are sublime and even in today’s windy conditions, his kicks hit the target more often than not.

NAS looks like he’s filled out a bit more. Not massive by any stretch but looks more mature. He is deceptively tall. With him, Sincs & Boner we have some elite kickers off the half back line. It will be interesting to see what this means for Jimmy as I think he’ll be competing for a spot with Stocker & Bonner.

I overheard a supporter ask Jimmy Van Ess how his injury was going to which he replied, going well, should be back in full training post-Christmas.

Allison has also trained really well this week. He’s an amazing athlete who will be a hard match up as for his size, he’s an elite runner and there wouldn’t be too many his size that could keep up with him. Probably only his kicking lets him down at times at it looks loopy and forced.

Those not training included Collard, Garcia, Butler, Hayes, Higgins & Caminiti, although Caminiti came out at the very end (in the red rehab group shirt) and ran a couple of laps. He had a brace on his finger so I assume he’s had some sort of finger surgery, but really struggled with his running (perhaps a fitness issue??).

Owens once again ran laps – doesn't appear to be injured and like others have stated, perhaps he is being managed?
Great to hear about Jones. He will be like a new recruit and does have attributes we need.
I‘m also liking everything I hear about Henry. He couldn’t have done much more to fit in so far. I’ll try to get down next week and have a first hand look at the Mitchito show.
Thanks to everyone for the reports.

Looks like Van Es is going to be the new Clarke.

It’s ONE S, you peons.

Yes, know the difference. Get it right!

VP4Li4o.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I found it hard to believe when I first heard it to, but now that I’ve thought about it he does have the perfect skill set for it, so can kind of see what they’re trying to achieve.

Trust me can pretty much rubber stamp it though, track watchers are going to see him spending a lot of time with the defensive group this pre season.

Makes perfect sense.

I thought they might go Caminiti yet if Keeler is the one they want to train up as a key defender i am perfectly happy with that outcome.

Extremely athletic, 198cm key defender that has football nous and can replace Howard.

I like it so much so, the thought has me salivating.

I think Mitch is definitely making a fashion statement there...!!!!!

One of my mates has a bad cinema night every couple of months and a while back we watched one called For Y'ur Height Only that was a Philippino James Bond style action film with a studly dwarf as the main character. Every bad guy in it looked like Chito in that pic. It's an underrated look.

One of my mates has a bad cinema night every couple of months and a while back we watched one called For Y'ur Height Only that was a Philippino James Bond style action film with a studly dwarf as the main character. Every bad guy in it looked like Chito in that pic. It's an underrated look.
Room for one more mate?
. 🥹
👉🏼👈🏼

Room for one more mate?
. 🥹
👉🏼👈🏼

I reckon he should put them on in pubs. Everyone wants to come to them. We used to do it for fun back in the day. Try to outdo each other to find the shittest movies in existence. He's just taken it to new levels and the internet lets him track down some absolute monstrosities from the gross to the insane.

Have heard from a pretty strong source that Keeler is being trained as an intercept/key defender this pre season, so it’s pleasing to see him taking intercepts in match sim and the lads getting around him.
Being Adelaide based I watched quite a bit of him as a junior and don’t think he’s ever played back there, but he’s definitely got the attributes to be a good if not elite intercept. Speed, leap, awesome at ground level for his size, long wingspan, and very composed under pressure and also dual sided. Can definitely see what the coaches can see in regards to the positional move, perfect skill set for it.

Very excited about his development this year. Tore his miniscus pre Xmas last year so no Pre Season and didn’t return until after round 6, his last 4 or 5 games of the year he actually looked really good for sandy.
i am looking for to you saintscrew to keep us updated on what you see about Keeler this year. Thanks in advance. lol

Cut and paste while watching Pats v Steelers

My OnlyFans group got early access.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
talking about OnlyFans Joffaboy, i found out a few days ago, that i have a credit from them (in an overseas bank account of mine, and they don't seem to want their money back! lol

ive tried 4 times. but they ask me for USD amounts, and my credit and when i say i don't have them they cannot provide further help!!! oh well

I reckon he should put them on in pubs. Everyone wants to come to them. We used to do it for fun back in the day. Try to outdo each other to find the shittest movies in existence. He's just taken it to new levels and the internet lets him track down some absolute monstrosities from the gross to the insane.
How much alcohol is the right amount for something like that though? It must be like pinball or pool, a couple of pints is perfect.

How much alcohol is the right amount for something like that though? It must be like pinball or pool, a couple of pints is perfect.

We consume too much but a few pints would be right. Some are so bad they need assistance.

We watched one called Willie Dynamite last time that wouldn't probably pass the pub test and I guess it would limit the scope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard from a pretty strong source that Keeler is being trained as an intercept/key defender this pre season, so it’s pleasing to see him taking intercepts in match sim and the lads getting around him.
Being Adelaide based I watched quite a bit of him as a junior and don’t think he’s ever played back there, but he’s definitely got the attributes to be a good if not elite intercept. Speed, leap, awesome at ground level for his size, long wingspan, and very composed under pressure and also dual sided. Can definitely see what the coaches can see in regards to the positional move, perfect skill set for it.

Very excited about his development this year. Tore his miniscus pre Xmas last year so no Pre Season and didn’t return until after round 6, his last 4 or 5 games of the year he actually looked really good for sandy.
Your source is on the money

Makes perfect sense.

I thought they might go Caminiti yet if Keeler is the one they want to train up as a key defender i am perfectly happy with that outcome.

Extremely athletic, 198cm key defender that has football nous and can replace Howard.

I like it so much so, the thought has me salivating.
Definitely the best for resource allocation since Hammer . Van Ess and Keeler could be a great 10 year combo as a defensive FB and attacking CHB.

I would like to refute this as per a conservation I heard at Wednesdays training .... that a major figure down at the Club was part of .... and that I was in earshot of ..... which went along the lines of ......

We were wanting a ruckman but due to the ones we wanted were already gone ..... we picked Collard with that 2nd pick
On Collard, talking with Katrina Amon this week, Lance has an excellent relationship with Toce, which does suggest there was consistent contact there.

My notes. Backs up lots of what kick it lace out posted plus some info re the running g groups.
Very rough, just what I saw

--‐------------------

Half ground sim. Henry lively, Oleary looked good. Dowworking Hard.
Doog, Campbell doing laps.
Chito doing laps and Crouch.
Shoenmaker has a big arse, really good size.
Doogs Campbell joined in on the second round of sim.
RL long chat with Bonner, lots of praise for Zones.
Chito is a unit.
3 team rotating through sim.
Van Ess going to DFC saying building up loads
Keeler full training, jumps like Nic Nat to spoil a long spaghetti arms kick.
Cody up forward, Hunter being used to kick long third possession from defence.
Someone in 34 not Garcia. Garcia and Butts back from DFC.
Zones lots of intensity, Dow, gets to where he needs to be.
Skills good in blustery conditions.
O'Connell's running with a Blake Acres lookalike.Could be Hotton.
Can't spot Collard, might have gone home
Skunk looking sharp in all drills. Wilson out there but hard to spot in purple bib.
Full ground drill, 8 playwr rotations. Concentration on speed of ball movement, Hill, Naz, Dow, Hunter moving well to position. Non contact.
Hunter Dow, Pou, Sinc, through the guts.
Wilson has lots of work to do on skills. Monday and today, sloppy.
Hammer running laps with the indigenous socks on.
Shots on goal after every drill before drinks.
Contested drills, Pou, Naz, v good. Naz beat Allison twice in a row.
Have not seen Wilson hit a target, drill where quick turn and hit a target 30 metres on the lead, Ronnie, Hill, Windy, Liam all hit target, Darcy misses. Early days.
Now they are all missing the bullets, lobbing them a bit, blustery conditions.
Running drills.
Wilson, Pou, Alison, Windy Titanic O'Leary in top running group. Pou and Alison trail off a bit, other four together
Naz, Liam leads second group.
Liam streets the second group.
Wilson O'Leary together in the first, Pou and Coops at the back.
Hunter running well.
Roh leads his group of Paton, Dow,Doogs and others. Stocker keeping up not trailing off.
O'Leary is a running machine, keeps with Wilson all the way.
Bonner running well, Ronnie leafing his group.
Windy keeps with Wilson, O'Leary trailing off slightly, not as fit as the AFL listed blokes, but can run.
Others blowing a gale, Wilson looks like he is doing a Saturday morning jog.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good stuff but mate, we’ve got 3 Liam’s at the club now!!

For sure. Draft and pre-season is always exciting. But it all means nothing in 4 months time. Read the last 12 years of pre-season threads, they all read pretty much the same. The messiahs have been variously Billing, Acres, Paddy, Clark. Was a huge rush on Hill for a bit too. Funnily enough, the players that have actually gone on to big things weren't so heralded early days - Marshall, Sinclair (was steak knives with JB), Wilkie, Steele.

Fair call though - with NAS, Pou, Windy, King, Owens etc - there is a chance we'll get a better outcome.
Dams ******* straight

George is acting now?

I’m only speculating but maybe they are also trying to educate him? Learn some defensive skills, build confidence down back & could become the perfect swingman in time?
Keeler as a key defender would be an interesting move. Can't think of many indig players who have played as a key defender.

The only one I can think of is Darryl White but he was a bit of a freak and could play anywhere.

I remember him kicking a goal from the right forward pocket out near the 50 metre line.

Clearly couldn't kick the distance with drop punt, so he did this perfect torp that curved into the field of play then swung back the other way through the goals.

Great player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back