Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeler as a key defender would be an interesting move. Can't think of many indig players who have played as a key defender.

The only one I can think of is Darryl White but he was a bit of a freak and could play anywhere.

I remember him kicking a goal from the right forward pocket out near the 50 metre line.

Clearly couldn't kick the distance with drop punt, so he did this perfect torp that curved into the field of play then swung back the other way through the goals.

Great player.
Was just about to mention Darryl White… Could there be a touch of Darryl White in the way Keeler plays?

One of my mates has a bad cinema night every couple of months and a while back we watched one called For Y'ur Height Only that was a Philippino James Bond style action film with a studly dwarf as the main character. Every bad guy in it looked like Chito in that pic. It's an underrated look.
A man after my own heart!

Get your mate to put this one up. It's worth watching all the way through

Can’t believe people are excited about Keeler as a key back.
We have a Paddy Ryder-esque forward ruck and we want to waste him down back?
Can pull key backs out of country leagues last I checked.
All off the back of a debut post…

Not sure it passes the sniff test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurry up and put your round 1 team up
Selena Gomez Cooking GIF by HBO Max

The number of posts from track watchers already commenting on Keelers intercepts and general presence in game sense seemed to suggest he was in defence...
With Keeler and Wanganeen-Milera distant cousins from the same Wirangu country a move of Keeler to defence to play along side his cousin may further the creative flair necessary to take the next step. And the additional height Keeler brings would be very useful.

The number of posts from track watchers already commenting on Keelers intercepts and general presence in game sense seemed to suggest he was in defence...

Nah they were just doing a ball movement drill & Isaac was matched v Allison. They started around the centre (they weren’t positioned as key forward v defender from what I could see.

As the ball moved down the ground Allison out ran Isaac & got the ball out the back a few times.

If anything they were playing like two followers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Training Friday 8/12

Rehab group: Crouch, Steele, King, Hotton, Owens Van Ess, Wood, O’Connell

Drills focused on ball movement, both offensive (ie, moving the ball from halfway line of the ground into the forward line) as well as out of defence. Lots of quick, short, sharp kicks, with most kicks hitting a leading forward target.

Really impressed with Pou & Windy. Very keen and diligent trainers and seemed like they were the first back and ready to go after each drink break.

Zac Jones trained really well, and his pace is a real feature. I know he has his knocks, but his pace is a real point of difference for us. He looks fit again after a year interrupted by injury.

Liam Henry looked really sharp. Great defensive efforts during the drills and intercepted many forward thrusts. He’s been really impressive all week. Looks to have fit in really well with the group.

Howard also moving really well and looks to be back in full fitness. I know he has a lot of critics, but structurally he is really important.

Hunter Clarke trained really well and is so clean below his knees. His kicking skills are sublime and even in today’s windy conditions, his kicks hit the target more often than not.

NAS looks like he’s filled out a bit more. Not massive by any stretch but looks more mature. He is deceptively tall. With him, Sincs & Boner we have some elite kickers off the half back line. It will be interesting to see what this means for Jimmy as I think he’ll be competing for a spot with Stocker & Bonner.

I overheard a supporter ask Jimmy Van Ess how his injury was going to which he replied, going well, should be back in full training post-Christmas.

Allison has also trained really well this week. He’s an amazing athlete who will be a hard match up as for his size, he’s an elite runner and there wouldn’t be too many his size that could keep up with him. Probably only his kicking lets him down at times at it looks loopy and forced.

Those not training included Collard, Garcia, Butler, Hayes, Higgins & Caminiti, although Caminiti came out at the very end (in the red rehab group shirt) and ran a couple of laps. He had a brace on his finger so I assume he’s had some sort of finger surgery, but really struggled with his running (perhaps a fitness issue??).

Owens once again ran laps – doesn't appear to be injured and like others have stated, perhaps he is being managed?
Excellent training report. Thank you.

Just on Allison I think his main knock to now is his lack of football judgement. Athletically very good, but up to now just does not know what to do, and when to do it. Peris had the same knock.

Dmac had the same knock, but then suddenly clicked and became a very good footballer.

Let us hope that the football judgement side of things clicks into gear for Allison.

Last edited:
Not a lot more to report on that Joffa,kick it lace out or a few others have already reported on....great detailed posts there everyone.

The air temp was rising rapidly down there this morning,

As an earlier poster commented on.....big Maxy is looking a million bucks.

I personally think if he can get thru a whole season uninjured......I strongly suspect that he could rip the comp apart.....it will happen sooner or later.

As KILO mentioned....Henry was lace out with his kicking today.....he certainly grabbed my attention....very very impressive.

I noticed that Keeler had the small strap above his left knee on again for the first time this pre season........hopefully all is well there.

And a special shout out to Darcy Wilson.....at the end of the sprints/running session....he pulled up 20 feet from us and we heard you Darcy....he barked out something that sounded like "Duck Me" ......lol.

And lastly....is there anything RTB can't do !!!!!!!!!

He was lying on the ground about 30 feet from the fence.....limbering up and stretching(obvioulsy giving his new hip a good workout)...a group of players ran past him in front of the fence....he barked out something to them....and the speed picked up.

I thought has this guy got eyes in the back of his head.

Very impressive RTB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back