Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Friday 8/12

Rehab group: Crouch, Steele, King, Hotton, Owens Van Ess, Wood, O’Connell

Drills focused on ball movement, both offensive (ie, moving the ball from halfway line of the ground into the forward line) as well as out of defence. Lots of quick, short, sharp kicks, with most kicks hitting a leading forward target.

Really impressed with Pou & Windy. Very keen and diligent trainers and seemed like they were the first back and ready to go after each drink break.

Zac Jones trained really well, and his pace is a real feature. I know he has his knocks, but his pace is a real point of difference for us. He looks fit again after a year interrupted by injury.

Liam Henry looked really sharp. Great defensive efforts during the drills and intercepted many forward thrusts. He’s been really impressive all week. Looks to have fit in really well with the group.

Howard also moving really well and looks to be back in full fitness. I know he has a lot of critics, but structurally he is really important.

Hunter Clarke trained really well and is so clean below his knees. His kicking skills are sublime and even in today’s windy conditions, his kicks hit the target more often than not.

NAS looks like he’s filled out a bit more. Not massive by any stretch but looks more mature. He is deceptively tall. With him, Sincs & Boner we have some elite kickers off the half back line. It will be interesting to see what this means for Jimmy as I think he’ll be competing for a spot with Stocker & Bonner.

I overheard a supporter ask Jimmy Van Ess how his injury was going to which he replied, going well, should be back in full training post-Christmas.

Allison has also trained really well this week. He’s an amazing athlete who will be a hard match up as for his size, he’s an elite runner and there wouldn’t be too many his size that could keep up with him. Probably only his kicking lets him down at times at it looks loopy and forced.

Those not training included Collard, Garcia, Butler, Hayes, Higgins & Caminiti, although Caminiti came out at the very end (in the red rehab group shirt) and ran a couple of laps. He had a brace on his finger so I assume he’s had some sort of finger surgery, but really struggled with his running (perhaps a fitness issue??).

Owens once again ran laps – doesn't appear to be injured and like others have stated, perhaps he is being managed?

Many reports suggesting Nasiah has grown. From this photo I reckon Nas is about 3cm shorter than Owens. About the equivalent of Owens hair. That's about right as Michito is listed as 191 and Nas as 187. Unless they've both grown.

Last edited:
Training Friday 8/12

Drills focused on ball movement, both offensive (ie, moving the ball from halfway line of the ground into the forward line) as well as out of defence. Lots of quick, short, sharp kicks, with most kicks hitting a leading forward target.

Really impressed with Pou & Windy. Very keen and diligent trainers and seemed like they were the first back and ready to go after each drink break.

Zac Jones trained really well, and his pace is a real feature. I know he has his knocks, but his pace is a real point of difference for us. He looks fit again after a year interrupted by injury.

Liam Henry looked really sharp. Great defensive efforts during the drills and intercepted many forward thrusts. He’s been really impressive all week. Looks to have fit in really well with the group.

Howard also moving really well and looks to be back in full fitness. I know he has a lot of critics, but structurally he is really important.

Hunter Clarke trained really well and is so clean below his knees. His kicking skills are sublime and even in today’s windy conditions, his kicks hit the target more often than not.

NAS looks like he’s filled out a bit more. Not massive by any stretch but looks more mature. He is deceptively tall. With him, Sincs & Boner we have some elite kickers off the half back line. It will be interesting to see what this means for Jimmy as I think he’ll be competing for a spot with Stocker & Bonner.

I overheard a supporter ask Jimmy Van Ess how his injury was going to which he replied, going well, should be back in full training post-Christmas.

Allison has also trained really well this week. He’s an amazing athlete who will be a hard match up as for his size, he’s an elite runner and there wouldn’t be too many his size that could keep up with him. Probably only his kicking lets him down at times at it looks loopy and forced.

Those not training included Collard, Garcia, Butler, Hayes, Higgins & Caminiti, although Caminiti came out at the very end (in the red rehab group shirt) and ran a couple of laps. He had a brace on his finger so I assume he’s had some sort of finger surgery, but really struggled with his running (perhaps a fitness issue??).

Owens once again ran laps – doesn't appear to be injured and like others have stated, perhaps he is being managed?

I was over in the forward pocket where Hammer was doing his half rat pace run throughs. I couldn’t quite hear the convo with the fitness guys but his actions looked like they were doing some remedial work on his running action.

He certainly wasn’t moving very freely though. Was running like me on a Sunday after 80 overs in the field the day before. He looks like he’s been smashing it in the gym though. Clearly hasn’t missed a leg day.

Winx is flipping huge. If he doesn’t tear a few games apart with seriously big bags I’ll be stunned. He was doing run throughs with Van Es & made Jimmy look like he was a Collingwood 6 footer.

Henry looks like he’s been at the club for a decade… very vocal, positive whenever someone did something good. When young Hastie shanked one Henry was the first to get over to him with a little word of encouragement.

Great to see Skunk out there for the whole session too… looked like he was really enjoying himself.

Keeler did a couple of nice interceptions & every one got around him… then Allison got out the back & burnt him a few times & you could hear Ross letting Isaac know about it. The big fella certainly has some bounce about him…

Reports about Ari Gold’s shoe are correct

The little tackling drill they did at the end was pretty funny… Moose v Roma & Scud v Coops Roma & Scud absolutely dominating the 1 on 1 contest but Moose & Coops were absolutely filthy they were getting beaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty clear there are two attributes we are building from.

• Leg speed/Agility: Spread from tight spaces and ability to burn opponents on the rebound.
  • Disposal skills: Ability to hit a target who has worked hard (with leg speed/agility) to make space. It's not been spoken about but I'd assume this includes handball skills to 'run and spread'.

I'm not seeing much emphasis on contested footy in our recruitment or training. Which is a worry. We have some contested footy beasts in the squad and will be relying on them to get first clean hands on the footy.

• Leg speed/Agility: Spread from tight spaces and ability to burn opponents on the rebound.
  • Disposal skills: Ability to hit a target who has worked hard (with leg speed/agility) to make space. It's not been spoken about but I'd assume this includes handball skills to 'run and spread'.

I'm not seeing much emphasis on contested footy in our recruitment or training. Which is a worry. We have some contested footy beasts in the squad and will be relying on them to get first clean hands on the footy.
Dow was certainly recruited for contested ball. Steele back to his best and Windy in will help also.

Dow was certainly recruited for contested ball. Steele back to his best and Windy in will help also.
Good point, I'm not sold yet on whether we are putting contested footy to a lower priority, or if we think we already have that skillset in the bag. Or I'm just getting ahead of myself because it's December.

Good point, I'm not sold yet on whether we are putting contested footy to a lower priority, or if we think we already have that skillset in the bag. Or I'm just getting ahead of myself because it's December.
I don't think its less of a priority, I just think we are focussing what happens after it. This year we were top 6 for contested possessions, only behind Melbourne, Carlton, Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs who are all high contested teams. On the flip side we were bottom 3 for stoppage clearance, and bottom 2 for centre clearance.

I'm no expert and nowhere near as knowledgeable as others here, but that tells me, we don't have an issue getting our hands on it first, its what happens after that which is the issue. From the training reports we are getting, it seems that's what we are working on.

And as Dard said Dow, a fully fit Steele and Windy will go long ways to help that.

Training Friday 8/12

Great report , thank you

My notes. Backs up lots of what kick it lace out posted plus some info re the running g groups.
Very rough, just what I saw

--‐------------------

Half ground sim. Henry lively, Oleary looked good. Dowworking Hard.
Doog, Campbell doing laps.
Chito doing laps and Crouch.
Shoenmaker has a big arse, really good size.
Doogs Campbell joined in on the second round of sim.
RL long chat with Bonner, lots of praise for Zones.
Chito is a unit.
3 team rotating through sim.
Van Ess going to DFC saying building up loads
Keeler full training, jumps like Nic Nat to spoil a long spaghetti arms kick.
Cody up forward, Hunter being used to kick long third possession from defence.
Someone in 34 not Garcia. Garcia and Butts back from DFC.
Zones lots of intensity, Dow, gets to where he needs to be.
Skills good in blustery conditions.
O'Connell's running with a Blake Acres lookalike.Could be Hotton.
Can't spot Collard, might have gone home
Skunk looking sharp in all drills. Wilson out there but hard to spot in purple bib.
Full ground drill, 8 playwr rotations. Concentration on speed of ball movement, Hill, Naz, Dow, Hunter moving well to position. Non contact.
Hunter Dow, Pou, Sinc, through the guts.
Wilson has lots of work to do on skills. Monday and today, sloppy.
Hammer running laps with the indigenous socks on.
Shots on goal after every drill before drinks.
Contested drills, Pou, Naz, v good. Naz beat Allison twice in a row.
Have not seen Wilson hit a target, drill where quick turn and hit a target 30 metres on the lead, Ronnie, Hill, Windy, Liam all hit target, Darcy misses. Early days.
Now they are all missing the bullets, lobbing them a bit, blustery conditions.
Running drills.
Wilson, Pou, Alison, Windy Titanic O'Leary in top running group. Pou and Alison trail off a bit, other four together
Naz, Liam leads second group.
Liam streets the second group.
Wilson O'Leary together in the first, Pou and Coops at the back.
Hunter running well.
Roh leads his group of Paton, Dow,Doogs and others. Stocker keeping up not trailing off.
O'Leary is a running machine, keeps with Wilson all the way.
Bonner running well, Ronnie leafing his group.
Windy keeps with Wilson, O'Leary trailing off slightly, not as fit as the AFL listed blokes, but can run.
Others blowing a gale, Wilson looks like he is doing a Saturday morning jog.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its the 8th of Dec , not the 8th of March

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chito doing laps in the speed dealers

dbd117098d77aaf0c241e4a39b595989.jpg

Look at this fuggin STUD.

Straight out of a 1980's Solo commercial.

I was over in the forward pocket where Hammer was doing his half rat pace run throughs. I couldn’t quite hear the convo with the fitness guys but his actions looked like they were doing some remedial work on his running action.

He certainly wasn’t moving very freely though. Was running like me on a Sunday after 80 overs in the field the day before. He looks like he’s been smashing it in the gym though. Clearly hasn’t missed a leg day.

Winx is *ing huge. If he doesn’t tear a few games apart with seriously big bags I’ll be stunned. He was doing run throughs with Van Es & made Jimmy look like he was a Collingwood 6 footer.

Henry looks like he’s been at the club for a decade… very vocal, positive whenever someone did something good. When young Hastie shanked one Henry was the first to get over to him with a little word of encouragement.

Great to see Skunk out there for the whole session too… looked like he was really enjoying himself.

Keeler did a couple of nice interceptions & every one got around him… then Allison got out the back & burnt him a few times & you could hear Ross letting Isaac know about it. The big fella certainly has some bounce about him…

Reports about Ari Gold’s shoe are correct

The little tackling drill they did at the end was pretty funny… Moose v Roma & Scud v Coops Roma & Scud absolutely dominating the 1 on 1 contest but Moose & Coops were absolutely filthy they were getting beaten.

Have heard from a pretty strong source that Keeler is being trained as an intercept/key defender this pre season, so it’s pleasing to see him taking intercepts in match sim and the lads getting around him.
Being Adelaide based I watched quite a bit of him as a junior and don’t think he’s ever played back there, but he’s definitely got the attributes to be a good if not elite intercept. Speed, leap, awesome at ground level for his size, long wingspan, and very composed under pressure and also dual sided. Can definitely see what the coaches can see in regards to the positional move, perfect skill set for it.

Very excited about his development this year. Tore his miniscus pre Xmas last year so no Pre Season and didn’t return until after round 6, his last 4 or 5 games of the year he actually looked really good for sandy.

Have heard from a pretty strong source that Keeler is being trained as an intercept/key defender this pre season, so it’s pleasing to see him taking intercepts in match sim and the lads getting around him.
Being Adelaide based I watched quite a bit of him as a junior and don’t think he’s ever played back there, but he’s definitely got the attributes to be a good if not elite intercept. Speed, leap, awesome at ground level for his size, long wingspan, and very composed under pressure and also dual sided. Can definitely see what the coaches can see in regards to the positional move, perfect skill set for it.

Very excited about his development this year. Tore his miniscus pre Xmas last year so no Pre Season and didn’t return until after round 6, his last 4 or 5 games of the year he actually looked really good for sandy.
Your source is your source, but I find this one very difficult to believe.

If it’s true, I find it very difficult to understand.

My notes. Backs up lots of what kick it lace out posted plus some info re the running g groups.
Very rough, just what I saw

--‐------------------

Half ground sim. Henry lively, Oleary looked good. Dowworking Hard.
Doog, Campbell doing laps.
Chito doing laps and Crouch.
Shoenmaker has a big arse, really good size.
Doogs Campbell joined in on the second round of sim.
RL long chat with Bonner, lots of praise for Zones.
Chito is a unit.
3 team rotating through sim.
Van Ess going to DFC saying building up loads
Keeler full training, jumps like Nic Nat to spoil a long spaghetti arms kick.
Cody up forward, Hunter being used to kick long third possession from defence.
Someone in 34 not Garcia. Garcia and Butts back from DFC.
Zones lots of intensity, Dow, gets to where he needs to be.
Skills good in blustery conditions.
O'Connell's running with a Blake Acres lookalike.Could be Hotton.
Can't spot Collard, might have gone home
Skunk looking sharp in all drills. Wilson out there but hard to spot in purple bib.
Full ground drill, 8 playwr rotations. Concentration on speed of ball movement, Hill, Naz, Dow, Hunter moving well to position. Non contact.
Hunter Dow, Pou, Sinc, through the guts.
Wilson has lots of work to do on skills. Monday and today, sloppy.
Hammer running laps with the indigenous socks on.
Shots on goal after every drill before drinks.
Contested drills, Pou, Naz, v good. Naz beat Allison twice in a row.
Have not seen Wilson hit a target, drill where quick turn and hit a target 30 metres on the lead, Ronnie, Hill, Windy, Liam all hit target, Darcy misses. Early days.
Now they are all missing the bullets, lobbing them a bit, blustery conditions.
Running drills.
Wilson, Pou, Alison, Windy Titanic O'Leary in top running group. Pou and Alison trail off a bit, other four together
Naz, Liam leads second group.
Liam streets the second group.
Wilson O'Leary together in the first, Pou and Coops at the back.
Hunter running well.
Roh leads his group of Paton, Dow,Doogs and others. Stocker keeping up not trailing off.
O'Leary is a running machine, keeps with Wilson all the way.
Bonner running well, Ronnie leafing his group.
Windy keeps with Wilson, O'Leary trailing off slightly, not as fit as the AFL listed blokes, but can run.
Others blowing a gale, Wilson looks like he is doing a Saturday morning jog.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thank you for being fagged x

Well that sounds just horrible

Your source is your source, but I find this one very difficult to believe.

If it’s true, I find it very difficult to understand.
Yeah I found it hard to believe when I first heard it to, but now that I’ve thought about it he does have the perfect skill set for it, so can kind of see what they’re trying to achieve.

Trust me can pretty much rubber stamp it though, track watchers are going to see him spending a lot of time with the defensive group this pre season.

How that flawed simpleton Goodwin is a premiership coach and Lyon isn’t is one of the great mysteries of mankind!

List quality and soft opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back