Review Good/Bad vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Our inability to draft a truly elite midfielder since Dangerfield is hurting.

None of our mids are at that level. Even Dawson.

Hamish Olgilvy and his team's inability to identify elite mids is our biggest issue.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dawson was at that level last year.

We've somehow managed to Crowify him in the first 2 games this year where all of his flair has been coached out of him and he now plays bland boring football

I'm sick of hearing "we know we're a good team"

******* are we?? Since when? We haven't been good since 2017! We have been bad or mediocre for the last 7 years!!

Stop lying to your unwavering fan base and be honest!

Is the list actually any good in comparison to the rest of the AFL? No it isn't. Simple as that, when you don't pick an elite mid in the first round for over decade how do you expect to win games of footy?

Port have a pick 1 a pick 5 and a pick 10 as there starting midfield

We have a pick 23 a pick 56 and a rookie draft pick 5

That's a ******* indictment on the club!
We could be a good team if we had a good coach. Thats what Nicks should say if he was completely honest.

Weak game from a weak club.
Was refreshing to see McHenry on purely cause he tried something other than kicking it long down the line.
Glad we signed our s**t coach on for no ofher reason than we drunk our own bath water.

Captain obvious here, reporting.

So disappointed but more in myself for expecting more. I can't be arsed being analytical or philosophical.

What a scraggy s**t game.

Outcoached, not necessarily outplayed.

Had plenty of the ball. Burnt it so often.

So many wasted forward thrusts.

Smithers WTF

Murphy, just no.

Coaching? Jesus.

Luck? None

Classic Crows. Behind. Struggle back to hit the lead. Job done. Then lose the game.

Strong possibility of going zip-5

I hate football.

Hey guys,

Sorry to intrude, just wanted to ask whether this game will be a catalyst for Nicks to shuffle the midfield mix and accept that Crouch, Dawson, Laird and Berry cannot play on the same field?

Soligo was probably your best tonight I thought, and really loved what he offered when he went into the middle. Rachele with only 1 CBA strikes me as really strange too.

I said before the match 'congrats on the win', as I saw no way that we could win this with our patchwork midfield. Guthrie, Bowes, Bruhn, Atkins and Duncan all missing, and you guys with Dawson, Laird, Crouch, Soligo, Berry, Rachele and Rankine...seemed like a lay down misere.

So I guess that brings me back to what I was saying - is it time to put feelings aside and drop one of Laird or Crouch and move on? Either that or return Laird to the backline and play Crouch and Dawson in the mids with one of Soligo, Rankine or Rachele always rotating through? Can't see how this could go on much longer, despite Crouch being one of your best tonight. Can't see how Berry plays either, as he's basically another Crouch or Laird with a bit more speed.

Interested in thoughts from you guys on if any of this will even be considered?

Our inability to draft a truly elite midfielder since Dangerfield is hurting.

None of our mids are at that level. Even Dawson.

Hamish Olgilvy and his team's inability to identify elite mids is our biggest issue.

Absolutely we have pissed away our 1st rounders on key backs, half back flankers, wingers and small forwards

Elite mids win games Bontempelli, Dusty, Pendlebury, Judd

In our entire history we have only had 3 truly elite mids Roo, McLeod, Danger.... That's it in 33 years

Hey guys,

Sorry to intrude, just wanted to ask whether this game will be a catalyst for Nicks to shuffle the midfield mix and accept that Crouch, Dawson, Laird and Berry cannot play on the same field?

Soligo was probably your best tonight I thought, and really loved what he offered when he went into the middle. Rachele with only 1 CBA strikes me as really strange too.

I said before the match 'congrats on the win', as I saw no way that we could win this with our patchwork midfield. Guthrie, Bowes, Bruhn, Atkins and Duncan all missing, and you guys with Dawson, Laird, Crouch, Soligo, Berry, Rachele and Rankine...seemed like a lay down misere.

So I guess that brings me back to what I was saying - is it time to put feelings aside and drop one of Laird or Crouch and move on? Either that or return Laird to the backline and play Crouch and Dawson in the mids with one of Soligo, Rankine or Rachele always rotating through? Can't see how this could go on much longer, despite Crouch being one of your best tonight. Can't see how Berry plays either, as he's basically another Crouch or Laird with a bit more speed.

Interested in thoughts from you guys on if any of this will even be considered?
You nailed it. Our head coach is clueless.

Ok I know it’s a tough gig but surely Adelaide oval should employ security guards that can run more than 10m without being short of breath? I was worried the bunch of them were going to have a coronary event after having to “chase” a kid. Now I know where we get our tackle pressure and famous two way running from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely we have pissed away our 1st rounders on key backs, half back flankers, wingers and small forwards

Elite mids win games Bontempelli, Dusty, Pendlebury, Judd

In our entire history we have only had 3 truly elite mids Roo, McLeod, Danger.... That's it in 33 years

Using Curtin as a key defender during the pre season matches was pathetic.

******* develop someone as a midfielder you hacks

Dont get to many games normally watch on tv but some mtx tickets fell in my lap today. And they were still serving grog an hour after the game...how good aha?

Good: above mentioned mtx tickets.
Worrell, Crouch, Keane then its a struggle

Bad
Tex rusty AF
Hinge 3 horrid consecutive fwd entries to start the last qtr
Pedlar...love him but those shots on goal in the 2nd qtr were C grade amateur level

Ugly
Fog from 8m out... seriously
The bi annual Tom Stewart show...this football dept has a soft cap of how many mil?
Brodie Smith put a fork in him
Murphy...embarrassing, better footballers in div 4 adelaide footy league
Jones...enough already, wont make it

Did i mention the mtx tickets? Gonna be a long year 😵‍💫

I'm sick of hearing "we know we're a good team"

******* are we?? Since when? We haven't been good since 2017! We have been bad or mediocre for the last 7 years!!

Stop lying to your unwavering fan base and be honest!

Is the list actually any good in comparison to the rest of the AFL? No it isn't. Simple as that, when you don't pick an elite mid in the first round for over decade how do you expect to win games of footy?

Port have a pick 1 a pick 5 and a pick 10 as there starting midfield

We have a pick 23 a pick 56 and a rookie draft pick 5

That's a ******* indictment on the club!
Definitely very mix messages at start of this year. Rachele (pick 6) played a majority in the midfield for the first 7 weeks last year and averaged 20 disposals and kicked 10.10, Pedlar (pick 10) and even Nicks said he would get a lot more midfield minute and even more strange Rankine (pick 3) who started midfield last week and had 19 disposals and kicked 2.0, did Nicks just forget about their midfield development tonight?
Who said that, please? Nicks, in his presser?

You're right. They're not.
The majority of AFL captains who all played us last year tipped us for Finals.

Dont get to many games normally watch on tv but some mtx tickets fell in my lap today. And they were still serving grog an hour after the game...how good aha?

Good: above mentioned mtx tickets.
Worrell, Crouch, Keane then its a struggle

Bad
Tex rusty AF
Hinge 3 horrid consecutive fwd entries to start the last qtr
Pedlar...love him but those shots on goal in the 2nd qtr were C grade amateur level

Ugly
Fog from 8m out... seriously
The bi annual Tom Stewart show...this football dept has a soft cap of how many mil?
Brodie Smith put a fork in him
Murphy...embarrassing, better footballers in div 4 adelaide footy league
Jones...enough already, wont make it

Did i mention the mtx tickets? Gonna be a long year 😵‍💫
Tex was rusty af but he didnt look like his head was in the game which is understandable with the passing of his father in law. The fact we rely so heavily on a player likely in his final year is an indictment on the club. Petty and Welsh cant come fast enough along with Thilthorpe hopefully taking a big step forward.

Dawson was at that level last year.

We've somehow managed to Crowify him in the first 2 games this year where all of his flair has been coached out of him and he now plays bland boring football
I don't think he was.

His issue is that he struggles to operate when under defensive pressure. His kicking action ie ball drop is quite slow.

He was our best mid, not among the truly elite in the league.

Just below that level. Most clubs have a better mid than him.

I don't think he was.

His issue is that he struggles to operate when under defensive pressure. His kicking action ie ball drop is quite slow.

He was in the top group of midfield kicks in the league last year. He was elite and the equal of many club's best mids

Further thoughts while they're fresh in my memory:

Our forward and backline structures looked completely at sea. The only times we scored were when we broke out of the centre bounce quickly and scored quickly - basically reliant on the 6-6-6 rule. Once the ball started meandering around our forward line, it would lead to nothing except a turnover to Geelong.

On the other hand, Geelong were able to break through our defence rather easily, and didn't have to rely on a quick break from the centre bounce.

Geelong appeared to run harder because they were first to the ball most of the time and were able to get into space, and in front of their man, and we weren't. Did the Cats set some kind of record for marks from opposition kicks?

We did endless circular handballs, poorly-timed and poorly-placed foot passes and pointless switches across the ground that led to nothing. It kind of looked like we were trying to be clever and pick our way through the Cats' defence methodically, but it just came off as pissing into the wind.

I don't think he was.

Agree, A grader with potential of being elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back