Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we have the wheels fall off I'd be looking to trade out some much loved player with any currency at end of year like an Elliott.
Harsh but we need trade currency to help stimulate the rebuild.

We got pick 33 for Taylor Adams.

We basically upgraded a pick in the high 30’s for a pick in the low 30’s for Jack Ginnivan.

What do you realistically think we’d get for Jamie Elliott?

We got pick 33 for Taylor Adams.

We basically upgraded a pick in the high 30’s for a pick in the low 30’s for Jack Ginnivan.

What do you realistically think we’d get for Jamie Elliott?

20 to 30 range if his form holds up to the right team contending.

Maybe it's a player swap someone off GWS reserves highly rated young talent but not getting a game.
Elliott himself was a pre list gws selection.

Outside that they stay and ride out a hard rebuild phase.
We have 9 30 plus.
3 28yo.

Elliott was just a name BTW more to the point we may see some moved on to expeidiate the process some what but not too much to not help the newbs learn what required.

And those were bad trade results other teams don't roll over like us.

20 to 30 range if his form holds up to the right team contending.

Respectfully disagree with that. I think all we’d get would be a token pick to help him get to the club we wants to go to (and who wants him). That’s no disrespect to him, it’s just the role he plays (making small forward) is not prized unless the player brings something else - eg: Toby Greene (leadership) or Charlie Cameron (speed).

He doesn’t have many seasons left in him, has never been part of the leadership group, and he hasn’t been the most durable player

Elliott was just a name BTW more to the point we may see some moved on to expeidiate the process some what but not too much to not help the newbs learn what required.

“Hard call” / “much loved” / “trade currency” would be players like Brayden Maynard (we might get a late first for him), or Josh Daicos (might get an early first)

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree with that. I think all we’d get would be a token pick to help him get to the club we wants to go to (and who wants him). That’s no disrespect to him, it’s just the role he plays (making small forward) is not prized unless the player brings something else - eg: Toby Greene (leadership) or Charlie Cameron (speed).

He doesn’t have many seasons left in him, has never been part of the leadership group, and he hasn’t been the most durable player

“Hard call” / “much loved” / “trade currency” would be players like Brandon Maynard (we might get a late first for him), or Josh Daicos (might get an early first)
Yep. we're not going to be able to get somehting good coming back from our over 30s or our unproven kids.Here are our blokes who currently have currency:

Naicos
Jaicos
Hill (might hold it, but it might drop)
Moore
JDG
Bruzzy
Schultz
IQ

Who wants to trade any of them?

Not sure if McReery has much currency or not? Murphy would have curreny if it wasn't for concussions.

Hopefully Reef, Macrae and another kid or two can grow their value over the coming year, but I can't see us willingly trading out anyone I've mentioned.

Yep. we're not going to be able to get somehting good coming back from our over 30s or our unproven kids.Here are our blokes who currently have currency:

Naicos
Jaicos
Hill (might hold it, but it might drop)
Moore
JDG
Bruzzy
Schultz
IQ

Who wants to trade any of them?

Not sure if McReery has much currency or not? Murphy would have curreny if it wasn't for concussions.

Hopefully Reef, Macrae and another kid or two can grow their value over the coming year, but I can't see us willingly trading out anyone I've mentioned.

I’d exclude anybody under 25 because there is not much point trading a proven young player for unproven 18 year old(s)

I’d exclude Moore because we need his leadership.

I’d exclude anybody under 25 because there is not much point trading a proven young player for unproven 18 year old(s)

I’d exclude Moore because we need his leadership.
I'd exclude them all. Regardless of how we go this year, I think that group puts us in a position to win another flag over the next 5 years if we can add some more senior players around them and a couple of the 30+ guys have some longevity. Adding senior players around the edges can be done cheaply - as we showed in 2022 - plus some of our up and comers aren't 18 and may be ready to contribute very soon.

Last edited:
Haven't seen him run away from an opponent in any game yet.

Might have good testing speed but on field he doesn't look quick.

He is fast. But he is also reactive and tentative currently. And he plays better as an inside mid than outside or on a wing, but lacks the strength to hold his frame in the contest at this stage.

IMO Allan should get a run in the seniors at some point this year before the bye

Still developing, prone to a clanger at times… but his VFL numbers are good. And he has size and run that projects well for AFL level

beyond Allan… the pies played 6 200 game plus players vs hawks - the most of any team last week

And only 2 players with less than 50 games - the least of any team

The team needs to regenerate

… and sometimes that means promoting kids a touch early in order to broaden their development

I remember the pies sticking with Maynard early… just pumped games into him despite his early brain fades… because the saw the ability and talent

Coaches need to focus more on who is going to be in the next top 4 Collingwood team… because with the current team they are not remotely there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the pies sticking with Maynard early… just pumped games into him despite his early brain fades… because the saw the ability and talent

Coaches need to focus more on who is going to be in the next top 4 Collingwood team… because with the current team they are not remotely there
Maynard isn't the norm. He's innately someone who goes twice as hard after he stuffs up or gets beaten - a lot go into their shell. Allan doesn't look like he's come out of his shell at VFL yet - let alone expecting him to do it at AFL. I'd let him develop in the VFL for a while. And it's round 5 - can't believe that people are writing us off.

Still developing, prone to a clanger at times… but his VFL numbers are good. And he has size and run that projects well for AFL level
He would have many others the Same

Maynard isn't the norm. He's just innately someone who goes twice as hard after he stuffs up or gets beaten - a lot go into their shell. Allan doesn't look like he's come out of his shell at VFL yet - let alone expecting him to do it at AFL. I'd let him develop in the VFL for a while. And it's round 5 - can't believe that people are writing us off.

Josh Daicos took 3-4 Years to come Really Good

IMO Allan should get a run in the seniors at some point this year before the bye

beyond Allan… the pies played 6 200 game plus players vs hawks - the most of any team last week

And only 2 players with less than 50 games - the least of any team

The team needs to regenerate

… and sometimes that means promoting kids a touch early in order to broaden their development

I agree.
As an example, Reef is a player that we now need to keep in the team and get games into.
He hasn't starred yet, but he has shown enough to suggest he can make it.

Some people are so quick to write players off.

Allan is literally 19. Frampton was never going to make it up until 26 years of age. He's now a premiership player and the our most improved player this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We've been spoilt with Nick & people looking at top 5 picks at other clubs.

Some seem to think all young players are duds unless they make an immediate impact.

Most need development & then opportunity.

There was not a time in Maynard's early career where we had a better option than him for his position running around in the VFL.

The issue is not persisting with the young guy like Allan, it's who goes out of the side and then runs around in the VFL because Allan is getting games.

There was not a time in Maynard's early career where we had a better option than him for his position running around in the VFL.

The issue is not persisting with the young guy like Allan, it's who goes out of the side and then runs around in the VFL because Allan is getting games.
If they were a top 4 side I’d agree…

But the side is 2-3 with a % in the 80s

There are several players who could be omitted so as to blood some kids

Starting with the players who are 30 plus…

cause these players aren’t carrying us to our next premiership

Maybe when they likely lose to port on Saturday… more people will begin to understand the need to regenerate… starting this year

If they were a top 4 side I’d agree…

But the side is 2-3 with a % in the 80s

There are several players who could be omitted so as to blood some kids

Starting with the players who are 30 plus…

cause these players aren’t carrying us to our next premiership

Maybe when they likely lose to port on Saturday… more people will begin to understand the need to regenerate… starting this year
Not even Anzac Day and we're already getting some pumping up a full blow-up. Jeesh!

Maybe we should wait until we have our first round pick before throwing games?

Maynard isn't the norm. He's innately someone who goes twice as hard after he stuffs up or gets beaten - a lot go into their shell. Allan doesn't look like he's come out of his shell at VFL yet - let alone expecting him to do it at AFL. I'd let him develop in the VFL for a while. And it's round 5 - can't believe that people are writing us off.
I can. We keep hearing stuff like Naicos’ comments yesterday or any of Fly’s through the first 6 weeks then see a massive disconnect on field. It’s hard to ignore.

For me it’s as simple as we aren’t going to qualify like we did in 2023 so it’s better to reference 2022. Even then it was a cliffhanger to finish top 4 and relied on an 11 match winning streak mid season. I may not agree with anyone writing us off, but I get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back