Freo robbed !!! Ball was clearly touched. AFL media trying to cover up the obvious umpire error

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the AFL trying to avoid legal ramifications from disgruntled punters who may have lost money on the Dockers?

Is that why they're trying to spin the story and not show us the conclusive footage?
I am a smart person.

Dockers fans on the dockers big footy board bag me out when I put money on freo to lose. I always say I win either way.

Dockers lose or get robbed of a win, I win some money. Smart way of thinking for me.

Once again would you be happy if sheeds mark and subsequent goal in the grand final was challenged and overruled by someone in a box because Maynard was blocked and the pies won the flag as a result?
The review would have shown Maynard incorrectly assuming the kick was going to Rioli, proceeding to make front on contact with him, without his eyes on the ball and then subsequently squealing about it to hide his own ineptitude?

Sure. Review that. :drunk:

Having 4 umpires has not worked needs to go back to 3. It takes away from their sense of accountability and responsibility believing someone else will make the big call. I just can’t believe or accept that not one of them thought it was touched. Need umpires to take charge not have 4 half asses
Yep, bystander effect. Why all the freo guys were pleading to the non controlling umpires, one of them saw it but no balls.

Go back to one with ultimate authority, they can be corrupt but then we all know and point the finger, stuff reviews

This thread is just one giant Freo melt.

If we're going to bring in reviews for marking decisions and all the rest of it then I reckon Curnow and McKay could have gotten about 20 free kicks from the scragging Pearce, Ryan and Draper were doing... Yet they got donuts on the day. Freo down the other end probably would have said the same thing.

Sometimes u get the rub of the green, sometimes you don't... That's just how it is in our game.

Reality is, if Freo didn't spend the whole game trying to play conservatively they probably would have been 5-6 goals up and nobody would have given 2 shites about the balls up at the end of the match by the umps.

Our last game of 2022 Saad was clearly blocked by Ginnivan as he tried to intercept a mark to Elliot who went on to end our season... On the flip side Maynard was clearly blocked in the Grand final which let Sheed kick the sealer and ended the Pies season... s**t like this happens every year.

Move on ya sooks.
I wish it was, the last few years of Carl/Freo have seen some great close games, several have been influenced by umpiring and it's all gone Carlton's way. I wasn't alone midway through the last quarter thinking this will be ump influenced and it wasn't gonna be Freo's way, such is life.

Cerra looks good, always rated his boot

Next time probably dont call the umpire a campaigner.

Didn’t you hear the explanation from Jordan Clark via John Ralph??

Apparently all he said was “****ing hell Jordan” out of frustration for losing the marking contest.

… and somehow the nearby umpire mistook this for “get **ed you cheating c%#!”

Makes perfect sense.

3 umpires watching that closely and not one of them picked up on the touch. The standard of umpiring has gone down the toilet. Need to make them professionals.

Everyone makes mistakes, including the players and umpires. There needs to be an ability to review all obvious errors from umpires, as there is technology available for it. Next season AFL must introduce either:

a) A challenge system, where the captain of each team is allowed to request a review of the previous play. Must be in the last 10 seconds. Potentially give each team 1 review a match and if they use it and get it wrong, they can't review again in the match. If they review and get it correct, they retain the review to use it again.
b) Umpires can choose to review decisions and send it upstairs to review, like the score reviews.

AFL would need to clarify what exactly can be reviewed e.g. Any marks for touched? Any in the back frees? Any above the shoulder frees? Etc.
Only B. If the entire Freo said start screaming TOUCHED like they did at the time, you'd hope an umpire would think BETTER CHECK THIS ONE and send it up.
I wouldn't give players power to review though.

Even if Clark did call the umpires '******* idiots' that's still not 50 as he is correct. You have to be a ******* idiot to miss that touched mark. The umpire knew he blew the call and got 'rabbit ears' as they call it in the MLB. Bloke does not have what it takes to officiate at this level clearly

What gets me is that this Umpiring is a part time job.

At AFL level the average field umpire will make 100k a year can get up to 150-160 depending on finals, for a part time job.

At that price I expect them not to make fundamental errors when there is 4 of them
Some players are on a million a year, and the average are on 400K, yet many make fundamental errors in execution

I'm looking forward to Carlton getting an easy run with umpires for all of 2024 at least - maybe they could lift their game a tad though and not give Freo 6 goals from frees and twice the number of frees for the game next time we play. Also Charlie is down on his free kick Charlie count - this is another area the AFL should look into very very closely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every close game has dubious calls that could arguably make the difference. The biggest reason Freo lost the game was there inability to put scoreboard pressure on Carlton after dominating the game for 98% of the time. Focus on that and they will move forward.

I'm looking forward to Carlton getting an easy run with umpires for all of 2024 at least - maybe they could lift their game a tad though and not give Freo 6 goals from frees and twice the number of frees for the game next time we play. Also Charlie is down on his free kick Charlie count - this is another area the AFL should look into very very closely.
Four of the free kicks were holding the ball. Three of them the player took two steps, got tackled and didn’t correctly disposal the ball.

All three of those was a lack of awareness from Acres.

The fourth holding the ball Blues player was on the ground and dragged the ball in. Didn’t get rid of the ball.

The other two free kicks were in a one on one marking contest. Both situations the blues defender was out of position. Bansfield defender had both arms around him and clearly stopped him from marking the ball.

The only free kick that was debatable was the Amiss where McGovern made slight frontal contact. Switta and Frederick got the contest and Switta kicked the goal from playing on.

Four of the free kicks were holding the ball. Three of them the player took two steps, got tackled and didn’t correctly disposal the ball.

All three of those was a lack of awareness from Acres.

The fourth holding the ball Blues player was on the ground and dragged the ball in. Didn’t get rid of the ball.

The other two free kicks were in a one on one marking contest. Both situations the blues defender was out of position. Bansfield defender had both arms around him and clearly stopped him from marking the ball.

The only free kick that was debatable was the Amiss where McGovern made slight frontal contact. Switta and Frederick got the contest and Switta kicked the goal from playing on.

Might be time for grief counselling.

What's funny is this kind of thing goes on every week in every game multiple times a game.

Player in front has the ball hit his hands or arm as the ball goes past to player behind who is then awarded a mark.

The ball was touched but they pay countless marks every week regardless of these small brushes of the ball.

Don't see any threads whining about those incidents every game.

Pretty obvious the Afl want the blues to do well this year, all about the moneyy.
True. That's how Collingwood have made so many GFs even in seasons when they clearly haven't been up to it. Explains how they have lost 27 of them n their homeground :embarrassedv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back