Review Fremantle Contest a Game in South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton peeps, come on, no one on here wants your advice, stay out

Edit: holy heck Carlton people, how can you think anyone here wants your input on umpires or anything to do with the game. Stay out or get pointed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be winning 2 if not 3 of the next 4.

5-3 or 6-2 isn't a bad ledger with 15 games to go.

I wish Carlton well with their upcoming run of 5 games against GWS, Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne and Sydney. May they lose all 5.
They're allowed to beat Collingwood and I'll be supporting that endeavor.

We should have buried them earlier. There was just way too many skill errors, indecisiveness, we seem to be hitting the grass with kicks/handballs more often than not rather than team mates. Lack of composure and awareness by some
Even if we were more direct the game would have been over before the controversial call. Chipping it in the 50 and turning it over, it was kind of hard to watch. Our forwards aren’t working hard enough and dropping too many marks. Even McKay who barely did anything took more marks than all of our big forwards.
Really liked Sharp and Aish this game.
All good, with any luck Darcy will be back in the next week or 2.

That should mean Taberner goes back to Peel and our big forwards can get back to doing what they do best without a serial pest buzzing around them and messing up their synergy.

Hopefully the JJJs should be back to scoring best over the next month.

I hope everyone on these pages complaining about the umpiring is out there every weekend umpiring junior football, because it's so easy to get right?
If you put yourself into umpiring you know exactly what sort of abuse and criticism it entails. You can’t deal with it, do a different job. It’s like being a politician and getting upset that people don’t like you.

Should be winning 2 if not 3 of the next 4.

5-3 or 6-2 isn't a bad ledger with 15 games to go.

I wish Carlton well with their upcoming run of 5 games against GWS, Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne and Sydney. May they lose all 5.

There was a period in our previous little golden era under Lyon where a team in good form would come up against Fremantle, lose, and then from then on all the sides copied how Freo beat them and they had no plan B.

I hope that happens for Carlton too.

In the article above, Pearce says "you can't win every game". Pearce is one of my fave's, and realistically he's probably right, but am I the only one who doesn't like to hear leaders saying that? I want us to be absolutely ruthless. I can't imagine Luke Hodge or Joel Selwood saying that.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope everyone on these pages complaining about the umpiring is out there every weekend umpiring junior football, because it's so easy to get right?

I understand the basic premise of this sort of post. It’s not easy. But if I may counter…

They’re literally professionals that undergo significant training. Not parents umpiring their child’s U12 match with just a basic level of the rules.

I would love to know what performance metric they need to meet to keep being employed.

I’d love to work in an industry where you can just stuff up and your boss goes ‘yeah we got that one wrong’

These are the top dogs in their field. The cream.

Now at the absolute minimum the 3 of them could’ve had a quick conference based on reading the room of multiple players saying touched. They stood firm.

Lastly, I’ve umpired countless games of basketball. Made many a howler. A simple who it came off out of bounds call can often be wrong. The players can react. Sometimes you just tap your head and say my bad and reverse the call. Not always and other times you’ll check with the other umpire. To be ignorant and not read reactions or confer smacks of arrogance and that’s what was on full display.

I understand the basic premise of this sort of post. It’s not easy. But if I may counter…

They’re literally professionals that undergo significant training. Not parents umpiring their child’s U12 match with just a basic level of the rules.

I would love to know what performance metric they need to meet to keep being employed.

I’d love to work in an industry where you can just stuff up and your boss goes ‘yeah we got that one wrong’

These are the top dogs in their field. The cream.

Now at the absolute minimum the 3 of them could’ve had a quick conference based on reading the room of multiple players saying touched. They stood firm.

Lastly, I’ve umpired countless games of basketball. Made many a howler. A simple who it came off out of bounds call can often be wrong. The players can react. Sometimes you just tap your head and say my bad and reverse the call. Not always and other times you’ll check with the other umpire. To be ignorant and not read reactions or confer smacks of arrogance and that’s what was on full display.
sealed with a kiss. The 'dissent' call that now apparently wasn't either heard properly by the umpires or was 'allegedly' Clark lambasting himself.

Didn't see the touched ball, didn't hear the dissent - who exactly was officiating, Helen ******* Keller?

What are we using as our guide out here, maggots - feels?
to quote Warnie/Joe the Cameraman, can't see, can't hear, can't umpire

The umpire paying dissent

steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

In the article above, Pearce says "you can't win every game". Pearce is one of my fave's, and realistically he's probably right, but am I the only one who doesn't like to hear leaders saying that? I want us to be absolutely ruthless. I can't imagine Luke Hodge or Joel Selwood saying that.....

I don't mind it. I think it's more said in the context of accepting the loss in the journey of season, and getting on with it. He's not saying you go into a game without desire/expectation to win.

The best part in the article is the last sentence, in tight close games you need to get the details right. That is the lesson from Saturday and perhaps walking away without the W will ram that lesson home even harder.

At this point it’s in the clubs best interest to move on and focus on next week. Port is already a huge task and any further preoccupation from the club regarding this mess and we risk venturing off task. I can already hear Kane Cornes talking about how we were too distracted / crying about last week's result should we lose to Port on Sat.

Nothing is going to change the outcome. Use it as fuel for the rest of the year.

Thanks - I was disappointed in Pearce and JLo. I know they risk fines, but their reactions were too vanilla. Would love to hear from someone with venom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back