Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't help but think he's miscast. Obviously has the talent to rack up possessions behind the ball, but to what end? He's not a damaging player, he's a damage control player at the moment.

I want to see what he can do in the forward half of the ground. Most his possessions are in the defensive 50. How will the ball move if he's getting 30 possessions between the arcs and forward of centre?
The problem for mine is forwards tend to have their best chance before players flood back which they're amazing at doing these days. This makes quality exists from the D50 critical in achieving that.

The problem for mine is forwards tend to have their best chance before players flood back which they're amazing at doing these days. This makes quality exists from the D50 critical in achieving that.
That’s why on the odd Occassion when North Ball is on during the game it actually works . Quick inside 50 entries help our forwards get separation & space from their backs

He wins a lot of contested ball - in the elite category for his position (7.3). But because he gets so much uncontested footy this can be overlooked. He's definitely contributing a lot in his current position and with Goater and Bergman injured he's probably had to stay back full time. Hopefully though, Clarko moves the magnets around a bit more. Afterall, he only discovered how good Sheezel is behind the ball by doing that late in his first preseason.

But equally as important, having your wings, mids and half forwards lead up and provide reliable, repeat options for a mark.

We have been woeful with this. We don’t have the cattle on the park to take consistent marks and we don’t have the fitness to provide repeat options.

He wins a lot of contested ball - in the elite category for his position (7.3). But because he gets so much uncontested footy this can be overlooked. He's definitely contributing a lot in his current position and with Goater and Bergman injured he's probably had to stay back full time. Hopefully though, Clarko moves the magnets around a bit more. Afterall, he only discovered how good Sheezel is behind the ball by doing that late in his first preseason.
I wouldn’t mind taking a gamble and just play him in the mud rotations this week with LDU, TP, Warlord and Laz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must play the Mid-Fwd role like Trac, Heeney, JDG and all the stars. Playing him off half back has done wonders for his development, however it is time to make the change for the benefit of the side and to try something new.

Our back 6 with him there is already the worst in the league. Moving him may very well fix our Forward line which is still one dimensional.
Well when Logue is back and with Comben holding Full back and Centre Half back then 1 of the following as the 3rd tall Dawson/Corr/Pink/Biggie or 2025 Draftee or Free agent then having following backs of Hardenham,Goater,Bergmann and maybe George and Archer and maybe a 2025 Drafter or Free Agent our backline will be better and the following players like Sheezel and McKercher can play up the ground and be involved more in the play.
Then Good thing with that then the Centreline and Half Forward line can be rejigged with Sheezel and Mckercher going into those areas.
As for the following players to qoate Coach Clarkson who said some players that are here atm will play in the next premiership and some not.
So the following players who I believe won’t be at North in the next year or 2 that won’t be part of the next premiership are McDonald,Simpkin,Pink,Corr,Coleman Jones,Stephen’s,Phillips and a possibility Stephenson unless his tried
In the Half back flank.
But will tell

What did this kid do to deserve us? Not only he's stuck without any wins, but at this rate we're going to destroy his development too. :(

He's probably doing the work of three or four players at the moment.

Gets the pill at half back, works, laces out a kick, pushes forward, gets it back, laces out another kick, pushes forward again and hits up another target. If he can be bothered after running all day, he'll have a shot.

The bloke is making everything look ridiculously easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back