Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The stats tell the story bad kicking and poor execution in decisive moments - should have won that game - easily with just average conversion it would have been 4-5 goal win.

All this Weitering this and Weitering that included. All teh Pittone it's this and that included.

At teh end of the day - it was a couple of decisive contests /moments and bad conversion- simple as that and that is what would grind Voss's gears.

Pretty much.

28 shots through the sticks to 20 plus Adelaide moved the ball off their back half with purpose for the first time this year contributing to them having 7 more marks inside 50.

As an aside Walsh alone laid more tackles than our entire forward line. (was exceptional though with 13)

A smidgeon unfair to defend Weiters and his defensive buddy's efforts for this loss, and lay all blame on Owies and a couple of other missed scoring opportunities.
The injuries didn't help, but lets face it, we should have towelled this mob up in Viccy. Crows looked like a less skilled version of Freo last week and it's obviously a tactic that works against us.

This game was decided exactly how you put it. Moments and kicking. There is still room for the other discussions because lets face it, Adelaide are a horrow show right now and beat us. They arent close to a top 8 side the way they are currently playing.

For 2 of those 4 qtrs Adelaide kept turning the ball over with poor kicking.

With us having a full list, we are a very good side with some minor issues to deal with. Without those players, we are also bog average.
There is always room for discussion - f(for me) I find it interesting how sometimes my view on a player is at odds with the great majority for example Pittonet - I thought he played well most have him playing badly....

The elephant in the room about our team right now isn more between the ears (IMO) we carry a lot of very dumb footballers- wether that means they are struggling with loads and or just lack footy smarts- either way that is why the team struggles to put any opposition away.

The better teams have more footy smarts. - like GWS Collingwood Geelong in upcoming games...and Sydney..

When's the last time a team has scored 3 goals in the final 7 mins of a game against us? Reckon Vossy will be extremely unhappy with how the game panned out as we gave up a 16 point lead. The game should've and would've been over...but it seems everything which needed to happen for the Crows to win did happen.
And in the 1994 preliminary final Mil Hannah at center half back got knocked-out [1st qtr] and Stephen Silvagni tore his hamstring off the bone in the 3rd qtr..... Two champion Backmen out of the same side on one day and the bottom falls out... [ like Saad & McGovern]...I.e. There are extenuating circumstances sometimes and we still should have won

I was filthy on Saturday.
Although I think back to a though I had in the first quarter which was "I want us to win this game but I feel like we need a loss"
The way we've been playing... I feel like we needed a bit of a reality check and to be brought back to earth somewhat. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but after the whirlwind that was the back half of last year and in to an undefeated start this year, I kind of feel like we needed a timely reality check, especially when coupled with the way we've been playing.
The good old "loss we had to have"... May be harder to confirm this with the personnel issues we'll now have.. but (maybe) time will tell...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the nailpolish. I hate commentators that nitpick without anything positive to say.
so do I. (the nail polish)

shows an admirable level of self-possession and self-knowledge
add that to an element of mongrel, he's a keeper.

have been keen on Boyd since an 'almost' game he had against Freo over in Perth a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
H
It was an ugly watch.

Kemp, for all his decent work on Fogarty, had his usual brain fade - bit like the captain obvious dragging the ball in last week - he dropped a sitter which resulted in Crows goal and shifted the momentum.

Gov & Saad out and Weitering having a poor game - Crows simply took advantage of their opportunities and when we had ours, we didn't.

I know Kemps was a mistake and it cost a goal, but the footage also showed a big error by Williams, Newman and Cottrell in the same play, Kemps was a skill error/mistake, Newmans and Cottrels was arrogance or laziness.

The mistakes by Hewett and Newman in the last quarter, which they showed a few more of the two of them on, On the couch weren’t skill errors, which is what’s the frustrating thing.

All game i thought we paid the Adelaide players no respect and they took advantage of it for sure.

All sides are now converse to Carlton's game plan.

No more surprises for teams that now know that carltons one wood ,once inside 50 will always be bomb it to Curnow and Mckay.

Never any easy goals to Charlie or Mckay when compared to Greene for GWS.. Voss needs to change things up by having at times Charlie playing a high half forward rotating with Mckay .

I still believe that Mcgovern, once fit again would be the ideal rotating full forward. this would ensure that opposition defensive teams are more accountable and the Blues become less predictable with their forward line structure.

Blues also need to slow things up a bit and lower their eyes when entering the forward line to allow the the 3 way leads that Curnow Mckay and the Gov would provide. this I believe would have more impact on the scoreboard and giving charlie some freedom to move one on one

PS Whos idea was it allow Caminiti to go to st kilda. Just the ideal 3rd tall the blues are craving for atm

Jack Silvagni

I was a little worried that we barely beat a Richmond team, that's currently losing to the Eagles.

I still hope that we'll be there or thereabouts come the business end of things, but a small part of me is wondering is this going to be one of those years where we have to backwards before moving forwards?

Hopefully this slight nagging fear at the back of my mind is unfounded. There's still plenty of footy to be played yet after all.
Very different side that Richmond put out today compared to round 1, they have been decimated by injury

I was filthy on Saturday.
Although I think back to a though I had in the first quarter which was "I want us to win this game but I feel like we need a loss"
The way we've been playing... I feel like we needed a bit of a reality check and to be brought back to earth somewhat. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but after the whirlwind that was the back half of last year and in to an undefeated start this year, I kind of feel like we needed a timely reality check, especially when coupled with the way we've been playing.
The good old "loss we had to have"... May be harder to confirm this with the personnel issues we'll now have.. but (maybe) time will tell...
Yes and no, that one we needed to win, as losses will come in the upcoming weeks. That one is the one that got away as it should have gone down as a "W"
If we had a full squad to chose from, it might be the kick up the bum we needed, but our supply of next man up are running thin so the next few weeks which were going to be difficult any way are going to be even tougher.

I know there has been a lot said on here re, "to Pitto or not to Pitto" but for Pitto to play, he has to be 100% fit and raring to go other wise he just unbalances the side. Yes, he is a big body and helps in clearances but if he can't take a mark around the ground, down the line or defensively, his value drops.

TDK does so much better as the lone ruckman, as he gets better as the game goes longer, look at last week as an example v Jackson. Then when Harry enters the fray it changes things up in our forward line, it gets Harry into the game if he has been quiet and makes us lower the eyes more going forward. TDK struggles to play as a forward as I still believe our talls play too close to each other allowing the opposition to come off their man and spoil in a 2 on one.

There are games that, yes, we will need Pitto, but he needs to be fit and if he is not at full fitness, he should be in the VFL. (Even though O'Keefe did a pretty good job on Sunday v Pies.)

How often does a side kick 16 goals from 20 shots?
As well as the last 3 goals to win?
NOT BLOODY OFTEN!

However this game is going to cost us, with injuries(to add to enough injuries already) and a tough draw coming it has last years 6 game losing streak written all over it!

I'm calling it 4-6 after 10 rounds just like I called losing our last 4 of 2022 missing finals....

1 Cunners is worth 2 Fanta's.
He is still a work in progress, but until we've got some other mid/small options, we are going to struggle to select a potent forward line.
I'd prefer to see only Fog and Motlop (if form warrents it) as the only smalls. Then Martin, Cotts, maybe Eli(even though I haven't seen anything to be convinced about him either)
supporting Charlie and Harry.
Or just add Kemp along with Martin and go with a taller but still mobile forward line.
If the smalls aren't getting crumbing goals or providing pressure, then don't feel obliged to select them.

Mate, he's 27 and a forward/mid - if he's still a work in progress at this stage then the horse has bolted.

Back