Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully this is deliberate and Bont just dialling up the pressure on the club

If he left I’m actually not sure I’d be able to stomach watching another AFL game
Do we have any proof that the Bont leaked this? Extremely concerning if he did, less than zero concern if he didn’t and this is just someone chasing clicks. Anyone really know?

Do we have any proof that the Bont leaked this? Extremely concerning if he did, less than zero concern if he didn’t and this is just someone chasing clicks. Anyone really know?

So much click-bait and rumour about our club atm, hard to know if all/some/none is even remotely accurate. I wouldn't dismiss all of it outright, but likewise don't stress too much about it.
As to Bont leaking it, I strongly doubt it, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures...

Surely it wouldn't take immediate effect?
It the easiest of them all to introduce straight away
Wouldn't be shocked if by June the announcements are done

Gives clubs 6 months to get ready

Maybe this is Bont saying ‘well you obviously didn’t listen to me last year, so I’m going to let this little piece of rumour loose in the media to see if you’ll listen to me now’
Hopefully this is deliberate and Bont just dialling up the pressure on the club

If he left I’m actually not sure I’d be able to stomach watching another AFL game
I've always been of the view that you never point pistols. You never threaten to walk out if you've tried to change things from within and not got a result. You just walk. Otherwise - if you get talked into staying - you are inevitably compromised. Any concessions made are usually superficial. I've only ever had to exercise that option once in my career but I have no regrets about it. However I allowed myself to get talked into staying once in an important volunteer role and soon regretted it. I swiftly put that right by departing for good.

That's probably what Griffen did in 2014. He was in an untenable position and saw no other way out.

I'm hoping Bont's situation is different. He's also more savvy than Griff. If he was at the point of no return like Griffen was, he should just walk now. However I suspect he wants for all the world to stay and has the smarts to see how much clout he has. So he has to up the ante, not for a better contract or personal conditions but for the benefit of the side looking to him for leadership and for the club he hopefully still loves. So he's cashing in a lot of brownie points and credibility to get a beneficial result. What his terms are, who knows, but I hope his aim is to get it out there early enough that it can prevent a total 2014-style implosion. I too would find it hard to follow footy if that eventuated.

Of course all that is based on the big "if" that there's actually some truth to this rumour. It'll be a big month or two ahead for the club.

My view is that Macrae and Daniel should be in the team as they offer more than the alternatives. However I do acknowledge that they, Dale and English are not performing as well as they have in the past. Past All Australian honours are fair enough , were richly deserved and carry credit but mean little in 2024 if the recipient has been under- performing for an extended period. The was/is a famous NFL coach who saiid “ I don’t pay for past performance “ ( famous enough anyway for me to remember what he said but not famous enough for me to remember his name). At some stage you have to say “ you have had enough chances go back and work on it”. We all have our own opinions on when that stage should come.
Should this mentality be applied to our coach as well?

Sounds like we’re going to go another list clogger with Phoenix Spicer. That “definition of insanity” quote comes back to mind, if so.
Would much much rather McLachlan/Uerata etc. Young guns games were Gags came from and he is miles ahead of the recycled players we keep picking from the msd. Would rather get someone of his type in 6 months early than another clogger.

Bont seemed angry last year. I had an awesome convo with him at the player sponsor dinner last year and he was angry about losing to sydney at the scg (was the week after it).
Assuming the Bont thing has legs, surely someone would be able say what his specific grievance is. Is it the administration, is it Bevo, is it the standards?

Bont seemed angry last year. I had a awesome convo with him at the player sponsor dinner last year and he was angry about losing to sydney at the scg (was the week after it).

He destroyed his mouthguard after the siren went. First time I have seen him genuinely angry and really pissed off. Seen frustration and disappointment since, but not real anger.

Didn't want to out our private conversation. But yeah, VitalDread gave me the heads up on this almost a week ago.

And I still hate it.
if the intel from last year was true, and Bont went to the board to say the player group had lost confidence in Bevo, and all they did was put Egan between Bevo and Grant and a new assistant, then he would be pissed off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have just been told by someone at the club who frankly should know that the Bont thing is about as real as our mutual friend’s chances of gainful employment in the legal profession in Melbourne.

Damn, so it’s real, just pending the inevitable all conquering and reputation cleansing advance upon the High Court.

I'm very much in the camp of 'get/find a small lockdown defender'. Bramble is a rebounder a la JJ, even if JJ is doing more defensive work these days. While Duryea is performing better than expected at this stage of his career, it really seems like he will leave a hole in our list when he hangs up the boots.

I'm very much in the camp of 'get/find a small lockdown defender'. Bramble is a rebounder a la JJ, even if JJ is doing more defensive work these days. While Duryea is performing better than expected at this stage of his career, it really seems like he will leave a hole in our list when he hangs up the boots.
Think the club was hoping Cleary would make it. Our player development is normally pretty good so hoping he comes good

Think the club was hoping Cleary would make it. Our player development is normally pretty good so hoping he comes good

Personally I don’t see it with Cleary. He’s not a hard nosed or athletic defender and he’s not a prolific accumulator. He’s sort half a bob each way, which I don’t think will work at AFL level. I don’t watch every VFL game though so you can take with a grain of salt.

These types can be found very cheap with a good recruiting team. Judd McVee at the Dee’s comes to mind

When it comes to Bont, my theory is IF and it's a big IF based on nothing but media BS he ever even contemplated leaving, whatever the cause/s of his distress would be changed and/or shown the door before their a**** hit the ground. It would be like lightning.

Having said that, the AFL media has as much cred as a real estate agent right now. Lower than shark droppings.

When it comes to Bont, my theory is IF and it's a big IF based on nothing but media BS he ever even contemplated leaving, whatever the cause/s of his distress would be changed and/or shown the door before their a**** hit the ground. It would be like lightning.

Having said that, the AFL media has as much cred as a real estate agent right now. Lower than shark droppings.
I mean, I don't think the media has the ability to understand the fact that Bont can be frustrated but also not be contemplating leaving.

As captain of the club, I'd be more concerned if he wasn't frustrated and opening dialogue with key members of the club and how we can improve.

I think it wasn't against bevo but against the lack of support around him. There was a lack of competent coaching beside Lade. Now there's Pratt, Johnson, Geary & Egan. Also new fitness staff.

Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)

“I think it's more likely he leaves now. I think a lot of people have got their head around that,” Cleary said on SEN Breakfast.

“There's three in the race - Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood.

“I think Hawthorn needs a first-round (draftee) as a key position player, but they might have a look at Bailey Smith.

“We'll see how that one unfolds, I don't have a clear frontrunner yet.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back