Autopsy Round 6, 2024: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Going into the season it looked like a really tough assignment with the 5 day break. The first quarter was a disaster though, it really just takes the wind out of a game when it's over at quarter time. Feel for anyone that went to the game.

Everyone wanted Sincs as a mid - personally I'd love to see him in AA form off the hbf and never moving from there

He's turned s**t anywhere he plays at the moment.

Yeaah
Well
As usual
It was Sharman’s fault .. no Sharman. We win by 120 lol

Kidding of course

But yeah, I was surprised to see Steele not offer a second effort near the boundary. Something was up (or rather, down) with the team tonight.

I swear, no matter what cliches about buttons not being pressed etc., the media had an impact on the game tonight. And it wasn’t in our favour.

One thing people
Let’s be real about our finish last year.
We were extremely lucky to make the 8. We were in free fall by June and it was teams like the Bulldogs that kept us in.
Alufulookingluyaa

Objectivity much

Season killer tonight. Especially after the Dons loss as well.

Through circumstances we are playing too many kids,and are buckling like all the other teams with too many kids.

That will not materially change for upto 6 weeks as players dribble back. All underdone from long stints on the sidelines.

The season will be over by then.

Also what Position does Poo play? Every week he seems to just cruise around do what he fancies. Plus is way too slow a decision maker after takes a rare mark.

Congrats to Wilson and Garcia though. Caminiti tried hard. But again we just have too many raw players in the team. Moreso when like tonight most of the experienced players went missing.

Talent is the issue...that is the worst performance we've put in over 15 years
Not going to get much argument there.

(Where was Billings - we needed his 5 goals when we were 55 points down? 🙄 Was 2015, I think?)

You said it was the worst performance by the club in 15 years. That's just over the top. I have no idea about a Lyon team or why you're even bringing that up but they must have had some bad losses before he got sacked at Freo.
Yeah, his win loss ratio at freo in his last 4 years was 33%...guess what Richos win loss ratio was over 5 years?

But tonight's loss was his worst ever

I don’t think we can blame RTB, but he’s made some errors this season. Dougald would’ve offered height down back, not that it mattered much, has been reluctant to rotate the mids (e.g., Chito and Nas) and this haphazard let’s move the ball forward quickly style because there’s nil foot speed just isn’t working.

Ball movement across the ground was a strength last season (#1 in AFL) now there’s next to no fluency. Would rather see a young side pad out their ball use and transition I50, build some gears, than what’s being dished up.

Not getting reward for effort not surprisingly has now resulted in lack of pressure and intensity across the ground. Interesting to see how things pan out from here for the rest of the year.

Geez they looked slow tonight.
Skills and effort deplorable.
Steele was well down and beaten but he gets a pass as he’s been enormous all year and he can’t carry the team on his own every week, tonight he looked a beaten man.
Where was our run and dare?
Really wish Marshall would stop taking it out off the ruck and booting it forward it never works and always ends up in a turnover.
We have some seriously uncontested forwards who aren’t willing to work atm the dogs backline did as they pleased all night.
What a pathetic, horrible response when we had the chance to lock the season away 3 and 3.
Port will smack as next week and I’m desperately waiting for Wood and Henry to return to drive some run and carry.
Dow and Crouch would make a difference in the contest.
Garcia and Wilson look like genuine footballers.
Owens has gone backwards and poo needs a rest in the 2’s.
I wish I could seperate myself from the club but I just can’t and I’ll be back next Friday night and hope to see some more development from the kids.
Really like Garcia’s competitiveness.

People shot me down earlier in the season, but I repeat our entire list looks phyically and mentally fatigued still now after only 6 games.

The players looked knackered leading into tonights game and its only getting worse IMO. They looked like it was their last game of very long 24 round season.

Is our game plan simply too taxing to train and play consistently?
Was the knock on Lyon at Freo...amongst other things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season killer tonight. Especially after the Dons loss as well.

Through circumstances we are playing too many kids,and are buckling like all the other teams with too many kids.

That will not materially change for upto 6 weeks as players dribble back. All underdone from long stints on the sidelines.

The season will be over by then.

Also what Position does Poo play? Every week he seems to just cruise around do what he fancies. Plus is way too slow a decision maker after takes a rare mark.

Congrats to Wilson and Garcia though. Caminiti tried hard. But again we just have too many raw players in the team. Moreso when like tonight most of the experienced players went missing.
Caminiti is t up to it
There’s a reason he wasn’t drafted
Think we need to be honest

Everyone wanted Sincs as a mid - personally I'd love to see him in AA form off the hbf and never moving from there
Well not everyone. I have long posted to leave him at hb.

No match practice in the preseason has not helped him. Ditto for Butler.

Ditto for a bunch of players that become available over the next 4 to 6 weeks who will all be short on touch.

I reckon we win 3 more games this season, Hawks and 2 of North, West Coast, Richmond or Adelaide.
Mate that was a shocking loss but I reckon with a bit of perspective it may not be as bad as we think. We were coming off a 5-day break having played in Canberra, against the Dogs off a longer break and having played in Melbourne. That is also following successive interstate trips - it was our third game in 11 days two of which were interstate.

I'm just not sure it's necessarily a sign of how terrible we are. When you look at those factors the writing was on the wall tonight, not making excuses for the performance and we clearly have issues but hopefully we can respond.

Really finding it hard to blame Owens and Pou this as so clearly on the mids today. A severe lack of hnt. I have never seen us have such crap pressure and poor tackling.

On the bright side I think we have at least one post-Steele midfielder in Windhager. 15 contested tonight. Let’s find some more.

Garcia decent contested numbers again.

It’s 2024. Key forwards aren’t 193cm anymore which means your key backs can’t be either. Committing to Battle as your 2nd/3rd key tall is committing to being physically outmatched for the next 10 years.

2-4 and soon to be 2-5. Season is probably gone. No more Ross, Jones, Bonner and there’s a couple I’d be moving on for draft picks at the end of the year but I’ll save that for later.

5 day break I’m sure had something to do with tonight but all we heard about was how fit we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back