Preview Round 6, 2024: North v Hawks, 4pm 21st April, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was against the eagles. He went goalless in just under half his games. 8 out of 17.

Was a great player for us and I hope he can still play some good games but his best is well in the past unfortunately.
On the weekend closest to the first anniversary of his father’s death as well.

Despite the VIC media narrative Fagan dropped Gunner and Rich last year. Getting picked for the game on that weekend against the hapless Eagles was a fine gesture but not an indication he deserved his spot

I love any player that wears the brown and gold.

But Butler was woeful against the Suns. There was a moment in the second quarter where his pressure was something you'd see in a training drill and the Suns scored. Right in front of me at Carrara. Totally unacceptable.

Instant delist in my mind. How he has 2025 sewn up is a mystery to me.

Hope he proves us all wrong. But I am doubtful. Has done very little in his 20-ish games. Supply has been atrocious...
but he ain't no Wizard :fire:.
There is a lot of competition for his spot. He's behind Moore, Watson, Wingard, Ginnivan. That's a lot of talent - infact I think we have overcapitalised in this area of the ground. Butler is there for depth and from a list profile perspective, he's surplus.

Fully expect one of Weddle, Serong or Sicily to play frwd but I'm hope I'm wrong but hopefully serong isn't the sub! Now, that would make zero sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love any player that wears the brown and gold.

But Butler was woeful against the Suns. There was a moment in the second quarter where his pressure was something you'd see in a training drill and the Suns scored. Right in front of me at Carrara. Totally unacceptable.

Instant delist in my mind. How he has 2025 sewn up is a mystery to me.

Hope he proves us all wrong. But I am doubtful. Has done very little in his 20-ish games. Supply has been atrocious...
but he ain't no Wizard :fire:.
He's not the lone ranger. I know last weak ... I mean week... was as low as it gets, but Chol has scarred me. Not only because of his dropped marks, but because of his lethargy & total lack of footy nous. In the last, the ball was in dispute in the fwd pocket. Rather than try & impact the play or present for a handball, he turned his back & nonchalantly walked away. It was like Bizarro world from Seinfeld. Just dumb footy.

So if we lose it's bad selection? If we win, good?
If we win I still think it is bad selection. I just don't understand what we are trying to achieve at the moment. I'm sure it will all work itself out in the long run but the start to this year has been confusing in regards to selection.

There is a lot of competition for his spot. He's behind Moore, Watson, Wingard, Ginnivan. That's a lot of talent - infact I think we have overcapitalised in this area of the ground. Butler is there for depth and from a list profile perspective, he's surplus.
That's the thing, I don't think that is his position. They need to start playing him high half forward combined with midfield minutes consistantly at Box Hill. Everytime he makes his way into the seniors, he's left to wither away in the pocket. He's worked on his fitness, if he can transition into the midfield similar to Nash a couple of years back, all of a sudden we have a goal kicking midfielder with breakaway speed, good overhead and can tackle hard (when his head is in the game).

Until we see him get a real go at a positional change, I think it's far too early to determine he's not capable of making it.

I think he is really a mid. Not sure if good enough but has shown little consistency playing forward and id be trying him through the middle at box hill.

How do we get the ball in his hands more? It’s a big area for improvement at the moment. He just can’t get into games with any sort of rhythm. Dare I say it put him the back pocket and see what sort of natural fight and competitiveness he has….

That's the thing, I don't think that is his position. They need to start playing him high half forward combined with midfield minutes consistantly at Box Hill. Everytime he makes his way into the seniors, he's left to wither away in the pocket. He's worked on his fitness, if he can transition into the midfield similar to Nash a couple of years back, all of a sudden we have a goal kicking midfielder with breakaway speed, good overhead and can tackle hard (when his head is in the game).

Until we see him get a real go at a positional change, I think it's far too early to determine he's not capable of making it.
I think this is a really important point across a number of players. Sam talks about players strengths but his actions say that he is doing the opposite. Butler should be coming in for CMac or Moore when they aren't performing. Ward is similar he should not be on a wing. If we rate Ward as a midfielder then he should play that role at Box Hill and then come in to that role to replace a mid that isn't performing. This all is starting to remind me of Schoey.....

He's not the lone ranger. I know last weak ... I mean week... was as low as it gets, but Chol has scarred me. Not only because of his dropped marks, but because of his lethargy & total lack of footy nous. In the last, the ball was in dispute in the fwd pocket. Rather than try & impact the play or present for a handball, he turned his back & nonchalantly walked away. It was like Bizarro world from Seinfeld. Just dumb footy.

Chol is a massive upgrade on Kozi but the reality is we are his third club for a good reason

We used to be a destination club not long ago but now we are seemingly the go to club when clubs want to dump their problem children or get paid way overs in draft picks Wingard, Scully, Paton, Chol and Ginnivan

Sad thing is we are so short on talent that we pretty much have to roll the dice to see if we can make it work. So far only Ginnivan looks to be a decent investment

To add insult to injury, we are also the number one club to go to when player agents want to maximize contracts for their players - McKay, Taylor, Bowes,

Last edited:

Chol is a massive upgrade on Kozi but the reality is we are his third club for a good reason

We used to be a destination club not long ago but now we are seemingly the go to club when clubs want to dump their problem children or get paid way overs in draft picks Wingard, Scully, Paton, Chol and Ginnivan

Sad thing is we are so short on talent that we pretty much have to roll the dice to see if we can make it work. So far only Ginnivan looks to be a decent investment

To add insult to injury, we are also the number one club to go to when player agents want to maximize contracts for their players - McKay, Taylor, Bowes,
I think it is unfair to lump Chol/Ginnivan with the previous three that were recruited under Clarkson. Both Chol/Ginnivan are upgrades paid for a reasonable price.

Hate to say it but I'm predicting a 4+ goal loss. Would be very very happy to be proven wrong.

I'm bullish, given that its North and given that we are under so much scrutiny.
Expect us to be genuinely hard at the contest in response to last week, and that should be enough to absolutely roll over the Kangas (whose toughest player is a kid - Wardlaw - and he is out this week).

Wouldn't be surprised to see us win by 6+ goals - which would be great, but would also piss me off a bit, as it will probably represent certain players who have been pathetic against better teams (Newcombe, Nash) beating up on weak opponents.

I'm bullish, given that its North and given that we are under so much scrutiny.
Expect us to be genuinely hard at the contest in response to last week, and that should be enough to absolutely roll over the Kangas (whose toughest player is a kid - Wardlaw - and he is out this week).

Wouldn't be surprised to see us win by 6+ goals - which would be great, but would also piss me off a bit, as it will probably represent certain players who have been pathetic against better teams (Newcombe, Nash) beating up on weak opponents.
Reckon we will have a moment like we did against the WCE last year and beat North by 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back