Preview Rd 7 Geelong V Carlton Sat April 27 435 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we just make Guthrie sub or have him run around in the VFL?

Clark out as sub and Guthrie in would still be an upgrade on sub output for the last couple of weeks.

Poor timing for Hardie... Even Rohan could come in as sub.
I'm tipping VFL. To be a sub, you would still need to be assessed as capable of playing an entire game in case there is an injury in the first minute of play.

Interesting that Guthrie is available. The report seems to suggest he's been ready for a few weeks and the last 2 weeks have been about conditioning. I reckon they'll play him if they think he's ready and it might come down to Hardie or Clark for the sub role to give him a chop out of he runs out of gas in the last.

The other interesting selection call will be whether Geelong wheel out the Conway and Stanley combo in this one - going up against TDK and Pittonet? Given the weather looks ok at this stage, do we try and stretch Carlton and take away one of their strengths (The McKay Curnow TDK combo). It might also be a consideration if we are trying to stretch them down back with McGovern out.

Is this the week they go with Neale, Hawkins and Cameron in the same side?

Given it's on the larger MCG and it's dry - it might be on the coaches radar?

Wrong chap to ask, haven’t watched the ressies since they were true curtain raisers.

Used to love that about the footy.
Normally I'd ask away but last week saw foot in mouth as a few uppity baggers, mostly on the main board, carried on like arrogant #threepeaters and I saw red and hastily proclaimed Blues needed a humbling.

So now I am too scared to pop my head in.

Hd Chuckle GIF

Not necessarily

He's played 10 seconds of match football since August last year - no matter how much training you do on the track, it doesn't replicate match conditions. So he may be "fit", but that doesn't mean he's "match fit"

If this recent set back was only 2 or 3 weeks, maybe even push it to 4, then I could see kept merit in coming back as sub. But with 9 weeks since the injury, blowing out the cobwebs in the VFL where there's a bit more control over his match time, isn't an unrealistic option
To be clear, I think VFL is certainly a realistic option. As you say, one of the main benefits being you can perfectly manage his minutes in the VFL, if that's required, which isn't possible as the sub. But if he doesn't require managed minutes and he's fit enough to play a full game (I don't know if this is the case), then there's not much to be gained from a player of his quality playing VFL. He would have had plenty of ball use and repeated running on the track, so I don't fully understand the "fit" vs. "match fit". If he can play a full game, he is match fit in my eyes

I think the club are generally pretty conservative, so he might play VFL. But if his conditioning allows him to play a full game at any level, I'd rather he play in the AFL in some capacity.

It's not something I'd normally endorse but taking a lesson from the Blues Giants game with Pittonet back in the ruck freeing Tom De Koning to go forward we need to be able to counter a formattable trio in McKey 204/99 Tom De Koning 203/97 and of cause Curnow, without Stewart we look completely out gunned this week in the air down back.
YPO, who do you think will play on Curnow?

Geelong has a good record over him:
Played 4
Win 1
Drawn 0
Lost 3

27727C6F-A1BE-4FE3-A77C-575300F817C8.png

A22F4F27-AB5E-4DEB-99CD-793070BE4CF0.png

ED649C13-A334-4906-AC1E-4FD009F89C17.png

Last edited:
YPO, who do you think will play on Curnow?

Geelong has a good record over him:
Played 4
Win 1
Drawn 0
Lost 3

View attachment 1968242

View attachment 1968243

View attachment 1968244
I can't see it being anyone player all match It will depend on Carltons forward rotations and how they use TDK at times they will be taller and shorter and the Cats need to be prepared to switch things up with no confusion about who's on who and their role regardless of our selected 23.

Cats twitter account saying Cam Guthrie is available for selection... does that signal him coming straight back in?
I was of the understanding a few weeks ago that he would come straight in. ‘Training the house down”.

I wonder whether they re think given how well the midfield has gone?

Although Guthrie for Clark probably strengthens us against Carlton if they think he is right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily

He's played 10 seconds of match football since August last year - no matter how much training you do on the track, it doesn't replicate match conditions. So he may be "fit", but that doesn't mean he's "match fit"

If this recent set back was only 2 or 3 weeks, maybe even push it to 4, then I could see kept merit in coming back as sub. But with 9 weeks since the injury, blowing out the cobwebs in the VFL where there's a bit more control over his match time, isn't an unrealistic option
Everything you say makes sense. And might be want happens. But I do know a couple of weeks back the view was he would come in against Carlton. Personally at 6-0 and with all mids in form I think they could bring him back in VFL. But won’t be shocked If he replaces Clark.

Reckon if he does play afl they start him and then can sub him if needed

Ironically, both sides have the same gameplan this week: Don't let them get it forward.

It spells shoot out with the class at both ends...but watch it end up being a 50 - 56 scoreline by the end of it.

Always the way with these games that are supposed to be a throwback to the 90s.
Knowing nothing about Carlton, how do MFs compare, please Kobe?

EDIT:
It’s OK, saw your post just now. Still curious about our young MF

Guthrie will play twos.
He hasn’t played more than 4 quarters of footy in 12+ months.

Rohan will come in,
So will Stanley

As for Hardie, Jeka, Conway, 2E, Knevitt
I have no idea

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hardie never gets a crack at senior footy even after his strong form

I'd expect the Geelong young mids to again lift the bar on the back of that news,no one will voluntarily want to give up their spot.
AFL website states:
“5) The young Cats midfield is on the rise
Prior to the season, the biggest question mark over a Geelong climb up the ladder was around its unproven midfield and Saturday night's win over Brisbane continued to quell any fears about that. Up against seasoned campaigners Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley and Hugh McCluggage, Chris Scott's men more than held their own. Alongside Patrick Dangerfield, who returned strongly after missing a couple of weeks with a hamstring problem, it was youngster Tanner Bruhn and the ever-improving Brandan Parfitt who did most of the work. Bruhn gathered 21 disposals, including seven clearances and nine tackles, while Parfitt also had seven clearances in his 17 touches. The Cats were even at the stoppages, with Mark O'Connor shadowing Neale to add a defensive element, and their speed and quick transition did the rest. – Michael Whiting“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back