Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jack CarrollOllie HollandsBrodie Kemp

In: Cerra Fantasia Binns
Out: Carroll owies (sub) hollands

Hollands’ wing is constantly a talking point as we give up way too much defensively. Content switching between him and acres across the field when he’s losing to his direct opponent going the other way. I’d happily play two defensive wings.

Binns to share with Cerra and Walsh at times. Even Cotterell moving back with Fantasia taking more responsibility inside 50.

I’d happily bring in cunners to play a similar role on the wing instead of Binns replacing hollands if he’s good to go.

McGovern gets another week ready for Melbourne. We could easily drop young for him this week if he’s ready as Collingwood are more dangerous on the deck.

Walsh BOG
Cripps another 2g and 35+ possessions
Harry and Charlie to combine for 8+
Weitering will NOT lose a contest and be EVEN BETTER after his corkie

Blues by 40+
GB

Sides are spreading the field more against us.

When we counter attack off a turnover, I get that we want to travel down a tight lane to get the footy into forward 50 quicker, but teams are setting up with the +1 defensively as well

I think we need a better balance/gears to control tempo, it also allows us to setup better behind the ball if we turn it over

We need different tempo gears, more angles and better patience

Not difficult tweaks, but might take time with different calibre of players still returning
Collingwood don’t have the intelligence in their backline to do what Geelong did to us.

The problem with targetting Charlie or Harry as much as is done is not targeting Charlie or Harry as much as it is don- but that they are targetted even though surrounded by 2-3 players in a pack ...this makes it difficult for umps to give a free as much as they are deserved...

now imagine Charlie and Harry actually learning to separate or be moving much more when the ball is coming - ie the ball isnt an up (and pray whilsyt defenders get set) but listed is kicked to a space much more that it is usually ..when there is a clear one on one and clear attacker and defender- the free if there is much easier to give and less easy to ignore

ther is too much kick an up an under and everyone charge to teh fall of the ball - in teh Geelong game Cripps was targetted beautifully all alone and two goals followed...in another Charlie did one of his cross kicks to someone all by themselves in space ...more of this and less being wasteful all the time is required...

Carlton needs to learn how to make teh forward fifty a big open space players should drag their directs away from the FF goal zone instead of waiting around for a 50/50 contested mark /spill...it is predictable and easily chopped off more often than not the way Carlton enters fifty and uses ball around 50.

TLDR: you have to force the umps to give frees by them having no excuses for clear infringements- which is all about clear line of sight and no big messy contested pack situations where everyone is infringing one way or another
Newman's delivery inside 50 has stood out to me in the last couple of weeks. Not rushing it, looking for the loose player or the pocket of space, making a good decision and then backing it up with good execution. Would love to see a few more take a leaf out of his book.

Has anyone else noticed how well Cripps' is kicking this season? Not just his goal kicking but overall I feel like his kicking has been levels better than in the past. I think the first game or 2 he had a few poor ones but since settling into the season his kicking has very good.
He is kicking the ball well and leading by example. Helps when he stays off his left.

Elijah and Cottrell have caused some headaches recently.

Owies was terrible yesterday. He's lacking confidence. For that reason, I'd bring Cunners in to replace him. We need some x factor up forward and Cunners can do that.

Durdin wasn't much better. Fantasia to come in for him. Not that Fanta has been impressive either but he's had a week off and he has been a bit of a big game player in the past. The cupboard is bare especially with Motlop out.

Then there's Kennedy and TDK who have been spending time up there. They've done ok but like you said, nothing to really worry the opposition.

We can start by kicking more accurately.

I know a lot missed goals but when Owies missed. Usually dead eye.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

3 words. Jamie f-in Elliot. He’s hit form of late and he always gives us nightmares.
Strangely enough he averages 1.5 goals a game overall and slightly less against us - 22 goals in 16 games. I think that it's more about when he does it against us - at key moments. I would be keen if we started adjusting his win loss record against us which is currently played 16 won 12 lost 4.

Exactly. We have more than enough talent out there to get the job done.

Call back to last year, they were missing Bobby Hill which let's be honest is a significant out...

But we were missing:

Walsh, Silvagni, Williams, Kennedy, McKay, Boyd and Cerra was BOG when he was subbed off at half time.

Bang on. Only time we’ve played with the intesity of last year is in that qtr v GWS. If we have that intent we win despite the outs.

But, there’s one player we’re missing. The fog. We play different when hes on the feild. He adds more than the sum of his stats. He sets the tone. He was one of the ins around the start of our run last year and i dont think thats coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When we counter attack off a turnover, I get that we want to travel down a tight lane to get the footy into forward 50 quicker, but teams are setting up with the +1 defensively as well

I think we need a better balance/gears to control tempo, it also allows us to setup better behind the ball if we turn it over

Not difficult tweaks, but might take time with different calibre of players still returning

Over to Voss and the coaching group

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newman's delivery inside 50 has stood out to me in the last couple of weeks. Not rushing it, looking for the loose player or the pocket of space, making a good decision and then backing it up with good execution. Would love to see a few more take a leaf out of his book.
More often than not he’s picking out H and it’s working

I am guessing McGovern won't play, if he does he Walks back in.

Durdin Weitering Boyd
Newman Kemp Williams
Acres Cripps Hollands
Cottrell Curnow Hollands
Durdin McKay DeKoning
Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Cowan Cerra Kennedy Owies
SUB: Fantasia

IN
Durdin - Looks to have some natural football ability, super form in the VFL last season and deserves a game.

Cerra - Walks straight back in.

Fantasia * - Nearly went Carroll again but I feel Fantasia just needs to keep getting AFL games to get him going.

OUT
Young - Has no football nouse. Doesn't read the game. Doesn't have any physical presence. Doesn't read the ball early in the air well enough. Is ok filling if for Weitering but it's a train wreck having him in the side playing another role or on a top quality opponent.

Carroll - Again, did nothing wrong but when the gang's back together he is on the fringes.

Binns * - Did nothing wrong, there is just not a spot available.

This team is a long way off our 2024 best 22 which I believe is the below side. Minus Silvagni and Docherty.
McGovern Weitering Newman
Saad Marchbank Williams
Acres Cripps Kemp
Cottrell Curnow Hollands
Martin McKay DeKoning
Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Boyd Cerra Kennedy Motlop
SUB: Owies

Half our backline is out. Explains why we leaked so badly against Geelong. Hoping it doesn't leak against Collingwood. Yes I think Kemp could be a gun on the wing. Hollands will be good but at this stage he is still developing. Cerra comes back in, he's a good in. A few forwards missing in Motlop and Martin.

I think Cincotta is a big chance to replace Cowan but I think we want to give him a run of games, the upside with him is pretty big.

We will field a better side this week and we will win.

Bang on. Only time we’ve played with the intesity of last year is in that qtr v GWS. If we have that intent we win despite the outs.

But, there’s one player we’re missing. The fog. We play different when hes on the feild. He adds more than the sum of his stats. He sets the tone. He was one of the ins around the start of our run last year and i dont think thats coincidence.

Point taken. But I would suggest that Adam Saad is probably the most important out. Just has the pace and know how to give a little leg rope to his opponent and close it down when required and take off when possible.

I'd like to have them both back ASAP.

We haven’t lost many games when he’s played

Looking at how all teams seem to be flooding against us people calling for the tall to be one out consistently unless from centre bounce is impossible the problem lies with our inability to generate from ground ball marking contest spillage and inside 50 clearance .. Just have to work out if it is personnel or structure why we are ineffectual in this area of the game ..
That's a personnel issue. We need smalls who can crumb effectively when we are getting repeat entries. Ours unfortunately do not.

If we can't find a crumbing small then we need other marking options to avoid the swamping of Curnow and McKay that we see each week.

Am i lonely in the williams out camp? Ive thought that we’ve leaked goals since round 1 because we have too many flair types in the back half.

Need some more meat and potato job doers that are unconditional. Williams has his moments of brilliance but geez his defensive accountability is real low. Cincotta in if fit for mine.

Perfect. That's it right there. We need patience. Well observed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back