Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Im watching the QnA and about 5 minutes in what has absolutely nailed it on the head Is.

THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO PLAY THE GAME TO WIN A FLAG.

The pagans, the blights, the malthouses etc were all different coaches bringing different ideas to the table.

With all the rule changes and the way the game is, concussion shit and everything else added to it.

There is ONE way to play.

The AFL have completely ****ed this game. This game was absolutely one where you could be the worst team however create some kind of base for a team to play and then compete to win.

I am one bloke that has really struggled to understand the game and what it is.

This competition wants to expand the game with limited talent? If it was a broader game wth various ways to win it might be a good game.

I personally believe the way the game is played, there are probably 6-8 teams too many right now.

Its a joke

Well done Harry in his interview with Dwayne Russell today, as per usual, Dwayne went fishing for a headline, but got zilch, in fact even kind of admitted to Sam Edmond later in the piece that Harry easily outplayed him in the point scoring stakes, not bad for a teenager v an old pro.

Im watching the QnA and about 5 minutes in what has absolutely nailed it on the head Is.

The pagans, the blights, the malthouses etc were all different coaches bringing different ideas to the table.

With all the rule changes and the way the game is, concussion s**t and everything else added to it.

The AFL have completely ****ed this game. This game was absolutely one where you could be the worst team however create some kind of base for a team to play and then compete to win.

This competition wants to expand the game with limited talent? If it was a broader game wth various ways to win it might be a good game.

I personally believe the way the game is played, there are probably 6-8 teams too many right now.

Its a joke

What in particular do you have an issue with?

Agree. I did notice, and to some,
maybe not worth noting given the frustration Luke and Jy cause us on-field, but I really liked how Luke waited at the entrance of the rooms post Tassie game, for everyone of his teammate and acknowledged them as they walked in. Small gesture but I liked it.

I don’t think for one second Luke and Jy are ‘not trying’ or ‘don’t care’. Sometimes you can try too hard and it all goes pear shaped.

Anyway, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
Yep. Lets face it someone will replace him soon enough but if they don't learn this stuff from him they won't be much good.

Viney says the about the Leaders standing up "it will come" - has this guy ever watched McDonald? At 29 and nearly 200 games, when exactly will he come good?

At some point you have to accept that some people just aren't up to it no matter how hard you push them.

Pretty disappointed with their answers around that stuff. Basically tells me don't expect much too much change for next year .. McDonald as captain again would be completely unacceptable.

It’s clear to me that the top two ingredients are stability and patience.

So regardless of their opinion on Luke, they need stability, patience and a gapvinisation of the team as the focus.

That’s not fun for us but I agree it’s really important and gives the young team more chance to settle and be confident in themselves.

Glad Todd pointed out that Clarko, Viney, Adcock and Clarke have been through this build before.
Also, Thursfield at Tigers as well would've seen how that list was built as well having lived it.

I just wish we retained Jordan Russell to spearhead that young coach brigade, he was doing good things for our midfield and would've fit in well amongst that group. Patch unfortunately ain't it.

I just wish we retained Jordan Russell to spearhead that young coach brigade, he was doing good things for our midfield and would've fit in well amongst that group. Patch unfortunately ain't it.

He probably has had more to do with LDU and Powell's patterns (which are being exposed) than Patch has so far so I'm not sure you're on the mark with this. Who knows.

With all the rule changes and the way the game is, concussion s**t and everything else added to it.

Its a joke

I have a mate that watches EVERY game every weekend

Or practically

Idk how they do it

Unless it’s two top quality teams the game has regressed as a spectacle

Go back and watch a 90’s game; totally different spectacles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a mate that watches EVERY game every weekend

Or practically

Idk how they do it

Unless it’s two top quality teams the game has regressed as a spectacle

Go back and watch a 90’s game; totally different spectacles
But sponsorship and AFL income are at record highs. So everything is good.

What in particular do you have an issue with?
My guess is his team is shithouse… like record breakingly shit!
It does make it hard for some of us North folk to fully enjoy any game of footy, knowing we just cannot compete in this comp.
If we were flying, he’d be saying the game/comp is in great shape!!

Its a joke

For a country with a population of 26 million, 19 teams is certainly plenty.

Its ****ed.

Concussion shit
Stand on the mark shit
Insufficient intent shit
Over umpired shit.

The game has been designed for “entertainment”

Its not Footy any longer.

Speed the game up, speed, speed speed. Coast to coast goals occur far too often in every game of the round.

Its now limited in physicality, highly skilled players who lack pace are phased out of the game, courage and toughness are pretty much suspensions..

The game is ****ing boring.

And also, don't expect to see us throw a 20 year old to the wolves in 2025 regardless of what happens with our win/loss ratio this year. The fact that so many North supporters are so willing to knife Jy and Luke despite them being our best and fairest winners in recent seasons really doesn't give me any confidence that the same wouldn't be done to Harry if his form dropped away after taking on the captaincy.
Don’t expect? How would you know? I distinctly remember reading elsewhere on this forum that you suggested Sonja was running a tight ship these days. I am not sure how you can jump to that conclusion about our leaders in 2025. :stern look

Its ****ed.

Concussion s**t
Stand on the mark s**t
Insufficient intent s**t
Over umpired s**t.

The game has been designed for “entertainment”

Its not Footy any longer.

Speed the game up, speed, speed speed. Coast to coast goals occur far too often in every game of the round.

Its now limited in physicality, highly skilled players who lack pace are phased out of the game, courage and toughness are pretty much suspensions..

The game is ******* boring.
Ageee with most of this Duck. So much statistical analysis overkill nowadays. ‘Feel’ for the game is not required by umpires. Decisions are made on incidents that don’t impact the game in anyway. Match review committee ignores precedent and intent and delivers decisions that don’t make sense to the majority of fans. And ‘insufficient intent’ is a joke rule for a game with an oval ball. I’ll accept ‘deliberate out of bounds’ but not insufficient intent. Was there ever a rule that said a player must try and keep the ball in play??? Everyone runs up one end then they all run back the other end. There’s few highlights and less good games.

Coaches are largely to blame for changing the nature of the game by contracting the ground so that we routinely see 36 players in one half and none in the other.

This is possible because we have a sport that has no offside rule.

Some of these annoying rule changes are as a direct result of that.

In Rugby League the opposite is the case, they’ve changed the nature of the game by deliberately changing the rules, the fact that there’s an off side rule has limited the extent coaches can influence how it looks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back