Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Right now I prefer Kennedy in the midfield over Hewett. Kennedy may get less touches overall, but he has mort impact with the touches he does have. Feel Kennedy plays slightly stronger physicality-wise, a more penetrating kick and a strong mark too.
Lineball but disagree. Hewett is cleaner and is a smarter player at stoppage. He does a huge amount of grunt work for Walshy & Cerra.

Kennedy looked bloody slow on occasions last night though he does have more weapons on the outside.

Now this is becoming an agenda. You claimed Kennedy played loose on Petracca while he scored 3 goals. Then you get told this didn't happen (in fact Petracca was moved forward specifically because Kennedy had shut him down), and you pivot to the slow midfield being the problem and Kennedy being part of that midfield, doesn't deserve praise.

You know you need to give and take in discussions right?
I gave and I took on board the comments, and then gave some more, all while too many of the same posters mock and refute without genuine rebuttal. The midfield needs to improve... are we removing Walsh, Cerra, Hewett or Cripps instead?

They're all prolific when fit (which they MOSTLY are), but need an athletic type so they aren't arguably the slowest midfield in the AFL despite Cripps and Hewett having solid acceleration off the mark. Just a smidge of variety to buy space that we cannot otherwise find in matches.

The outside mids are basically doing the bulk of the defending in open midfield, and are doing it well enough, but are supported by Cottrell who gets lost in that phase.

I'd rather have us continue to put time into Carroll, and to get some additional outside speed into the team. We've given two rucks a go and TDK is doing OK, but Pittonet isn't really significantly outperforming TDK's rucking efforts despite having improved this year, and is now on the wane, while McKay's form has also been patchy without the extra touches.

Last year we brought in Dow, finally gave Fogarty a suitable role once fit, and tried to go single ruck and went on one of the greatest run of games we've seen this club produce in the last 30 years, then we started reversing course with the GWS game and tried to headbutt our way through 3 finals before collapsing against Brisbane.

We went back to the mobility focus at the start of this year and looked solid despite our clearance numbers being down - a normal outcome when you sit back on the counter as we were - but now we're back to the same old slog that cannot be sustained.

I want a sustainable brand of football that buys us a little space to breathe and plan for September, so that we're actually capable of showing up for prelims and grand finals. That's my 'agenda', and I genuinely believe there are too many egos getting in the way of a constructive plan for that.

I respect what you're doing ODN, and I have respect for what My Hat is saying and is trying to pull me up on, but your combined approach towards me is very much in the minority, simply because I challenge a status quo that has us still playing like a mid-table team.

My comments are not easily dismissed, or people would just coast past them without any reaction.

Last night was a slightly different situation, but should have not been so poorly managed in terms of the absurd work rate of the first quarter and a half. We are a mature team, and we should have the ability to navigate that better at every level of planning and execution.

Anyway, those are the team changes I'd like to see, hopefully we make some strides.

If you want some balance I'd suggest saving those thoughts for the weeks that we don't get the 4 points.

After a win the cheerleaders are out in force ready to shut down any opinion that isn't glowingly positive.
Then you're just accused of sinking the boot in. I'm trying to offer a balanced view with an eye to winning the premiership.

Right now I prefer Kennedy in the midfield over Hewett. Kennedy may get less touches overall, but he has mort impact with the touches he does have. Feel Kennedy plays slightly stronger physicality-wise, a more penetrating kick and a strong mark too.
Kennedy is the reason we started so well. Midfield petracca got Absolutely destroyed by Kennedy

So we're lauding Kennedy - and apparently Pittonet - for a single quarter? What are you even arguing for, mediocrity and flippant defensive responsibility in midfield?

Improve the midfield that can't arrest the manic slide after the manic start... hint: it's mostly slow and lacks genuine body strength.
Did you want Kennedy to play full back? They used their talls to take weitering away from full back to play through petracca banking on winning stoppage when TDK was in the ruck. Yes we spent too many tickets and yes we shut down way too early but Kennedy dominated petracca they moved him to full time forward. Need more run from durdin Newman Hewett Martin etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney is the best side in the comp at the moment.

Our biggest challenge to date this year.
Yes they are.
Pray for a bit of rain to make it a slog on the confines of the SCG.
Also don’t think they have obvious matchups for Charlie and Harry….though that doesn’t seem to phase them as they are so good at transitioning the ball.
That said, I’m confident we can bring them down.

Pitto attended 72 ruck contests vs TDK's 36.

For the record I like seeing Pitt getting the majority time in the middle.

But it's going to be hard for TDK to be better when he gets half the opportunity.
TDK had all the opportunity and got his pants pulled down repeatedly in ruck contests. All week before this game footage on the footy shows was of Carlton players expecting Cripps/ whoever to win contested ball cleanly and so these players were cheating and running goal side too early. TDK is a ****ing ruckman and was one of the main culprits. He jumps, has a poor undirected tap and then tries to play first receiver instead of shepherds, blocks, imposing. It's absolutely not surprising at all we were near last in the comp for clearance work before pitto came back.

I gave and I took on board the comments, and then gave some more, all while too many of the same posters mock and refute without genuine rebuttal. The midfield needs to improve... are we removing Walsh, Cerra, Hewett or Cripps instead?

They're all prolific when fit (which they MOSTLY are), but need an athletic type so they aren't arguably the slowest midfield in the AFL despite Cripps and Hewett having solid acceleration off the mark. Just a smidge of variety to buy space that we cannot otherwise find in matches.

The outside mids are basically doing the bulk of the defending in open midfield, and are doing it well enough, but are supported by Cottrell who gets lost in that phase.

I'd rather have us continue to put time into Carroll, and to get some additional outside speed into the team. We've given two rucks a go and TDK is doing OK, but Pittonet isn't really significantly outperforming TDK's rucking efforts despite having improved this year, and is now on the wane, while McKay's form has also been patchy without the extra touches.

Last year we brought in Dow, finally gave Fogarty a suitable role once fit, and tried to go single ruck and went on one of the greatest run of games we've seen this club produce in the last 30 years, then we started reversing course with the GWS game and tried to headbutt our way through 3 finals before collapsing against Brisbane.

We went back to the mobility focus at the start of this year and looked solid despite our clearance numbers being down - a normal outcome when you sit back on the counter as we were - but now we're back to the same old slog that cannot be sustained.

I want a sustainable brand of football that buys us a little space to breathe and plan for September, so that we're actually capable of showing up for prelims and grand finals. That's my 'agenda', and I genuinely believe there are too many egos getting in the way of a constructive plan for that.

I respect what you're doing ODN, and I have respect for what My Hat is saying and is trying to pull me up on, but your combined approach towards me is very much in the minority, simply because I challenge a status quo that has us still playing like a mid-table team.

My comments are not easily dismissed, or people would just coast past them without any reaction.

Last night was a slightly different situation, but should have not been so poorly managed in terms of the absurd work rate of the first quarter and a half. We are a mature team, and we should have the ability to navigate that better at every level of planning and execution.

Anyway, those are the team changes I'd like to see, hopefully we make some strides.

Jim, unfortunately most of the content is factually incorrect

I like Carroll but he doesn't improve our outside run, he isn't quic

Kennedy is actually quicker than Hewett and Cripps

Cottrell doesn't get lost in defensive phases, in fact he reads the play better than most, hence why he gets his hands on the ball first when supporting the backline

Yes, we may have lost some run with 2 ruckmen, but most sides play a ruck and ruck/forward. What we have lost in run, we have gained in an additional aerial option forward in TDK, and better predictability and competitiveness at stoppages. Pitto leads centre clearances for ruckmen and is top 6 for HTA%. Both numbers are better than Gawn this year

But let's same everything you have posted is true, what I don't understand is, you name the same players as outs each and every week, even when they are amongst our best, in solid or close wins

Last edited:
Binns should come in for OHollands if there is any sort of selection integrity.

Neither will win or lose us this game but it is important to reward good form and not continually gift games to those in poor form.
Did you watch yesterday’s game? Ollie’s best game this year. I’m so confused sometimes.

Lineball but disagree. Hewett is cleaner and is a smarter player at stoppage. He does a huge amount of grunt work for Walshy & Cerra.

Kennedy looked bloody slow on occasions last night though he does have more weapons on the outside.
Completely incorrect. Hewitt makes us too slow through the middle. It’s no coincidence, that we lost plenty of clearances in the last when he was in the middle and Cerra was off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back