Any stock tips? - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Any stock tips?

MAH is another miner you should look at. Hopefully LEI put a takeover bid in the medium term.

Should be around $2 by xmas.

MAH isn't a miner.

They do mine but it is on a contract basis to the actual mine owners, but are also involved maintenance and construction
They have more recently, and wisely, added to their construction operations.

They have significantly added to their Eastern Australian operations and with the amount of budgeted government spending should be in a very good position.

I have owned MAH shares for a bit over 3 years now and they are a very well run company.

They continually return good ROE and ROC, so they actually grow the company with the money they make.

They have recently lowered their debt while returning a great full year result

It is my belief that it is only a matter of when, not if they are a take over target and as Astro suggested it will most probably be Leighton, but i don't believe they will be the only bidder, but with a current stake in MAH they are in the best position

There current year order book is already extremely healthy.

This is not a plug from me to suggest buying their shares but if you did have an interest it's more of an evaluation from a longish term shareholder.

PS: I have never taken a dividend from them but have reinvested all my dividends in their DRP and will continue to do so.

http://www.macmahon.com.au/

MAH isn't a miner.

They do mine but it is on a contract basis to the actual mine owners, but are also involved maintenance and construction
They have more recently, and wisely, added to their construction operations.

They have significantly added to their Eastern Australian operations and with the amount of budgeted government spending should be in a very good position.

I have owned MAH shares for a bit over 3 years now and they are a very well run company.

They continually return good ROE and ROC, so they actually grow the company with the money they make.

They have recently lowered their debt while returning a great full year result

It is my belief that it is only a matter of when, not if they are a take over target and as Astro suggested it will most probably be Leighton, but i don't believe they will be the only bidder, but with a current stake in MAH they are in the best position

There current year order book is already extremely healthy.

This is not a plug from me to suggest buying their shares but if you did have an interest it's more of an evaluation from a longish term shareholder.

PS: I have never taken a dividend from them but have reinvested all my dividends in their DRP and will continue to do so.

http://www.macmahon.com.au/

MAH works in the same space as LEI and has LEI as a major shareholder (currently owns 14.9%) so you can clearly identify synergy's between the 2 companies and see that there is the distinct probability of Macmahon's ability to leverage off Leighton strong contract/acquisition strategy going forward.

That was an odd month then?

I'm only in 3 shares but

I had BHP go up from $37.00 to $38.42
CSM from $3.72 to $4.07
and CEU $1.55 to $1.74

and it was all doom and gloom at one point?

CSM's the standout there, under takeover at present but were $1.79 this time last year.

I just sold out of CSM at $4.27. Might still be some legs left but time to take profits. 148% in a year.

They're going along nicely up +10% since your post

The SP is still lagging considerably behind it's actual value, next report is in a day or so. I can't tell what the market is excepting but I can tell that it's worth close to $2. I had them valued at around $1.50 3 months ago, and the SP has only recently gone above that.

My thoughts on the descrepency are that until there is more confidence in the Chinese market there will be a fairly big gap. Also the fund has only been around a year or so.

So my TIP is 3 months from now SP to be around $2.00.

Conservative stock but a good one to build your portfolio around, and although the SP generally moves in the same direction as our index, it does add some diversity.

What going on with NMS, seem to have gotten pretty harrd hit when the US fell, Hows the long term outlook doing

Here we go boys and gals, recession time in the US. Will be interesting to see the impact it has but the normal reaction of cutting interest rates to fuel growth may not work this time.

Due to the credit market problems, the LIBR rate that is used for most loan deals is refusing to come down and the spread has blown out despite the best efforts of the Fed, may mean actual rate cuts have little impact.

Interesting times ahead.

Hope some of you got onto GBG. Currently still a good buy IMO at $1.70, after some good announcments last weekend involving Ansteel. Look for it to go north in the coming months, even a chance of this stock hitting $2.00 by the end of this month.
Do plenty of research before buying in and also join the aussiestockforum.com as I have personally found this site very helpful.

Here we go boys and gals, recession time in the US. Will be interesting to see the impact it has but the normal reaction of cutting interest rates to fuel growth may not work this time.

Due to the credit market problems, the LIBR rate that is used for most loan deals is refusing to come down and the spread has blown out despite the best efforts of the Fed, may mean actual rate cuts have little impact.

Interesting times ahead.

It's a bit early to call that there will be a recession yet.

It has been common knowledge for awhile now that a slow down is coming, but how far it cuts is still debatable.

There is still a good chance that they will avoid a recession but no doubt there are interesting times ahead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been common knowledge for awhile now that a slow down is coming, but how far it cuts is still debatable.

There is still a good chance that they will avoid a recession but no doubt there are interesting times ahead

Forget who it was from AMP, one of their major fund managers, a major bull, bragging that there was 'only' a 40% chance of recession in the US.

Much depends on spillover from the housing debacle, which we have only begun to see the start of.

The SP is still lagging considerably behind it's actual value, next report is in a day or so. I can't tell what the market is excepting but I can tell that it's worth close to $2. I had them valued at around $1.50 3 months ago, and the SP has only recently gone above that.

My thoughts on the descrepency are that until there is more confidence in the Chinese market there will be a fairly big gap. Also the fund has only been around a year or so.

So my TIP is 3 months from now SP to be around $2.00.

Conservative stock but a good one to build your portfolio around, and although the SP generally moves in the same direction as our index, it does add some diversity.

Valued at $2.18

Interesting to note that inflation rising in China largely due to low currency value. Over time they will have to let it rise - good for AGF value in AUD.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/pork-fuels-china-inflation-to-decade-high/2007/09/11/1189276691867.html

Forget who it was from AMP, one of their major fund managers, a major bull, bragging that there was 'only' a 40% chance of recession in the US.

Much depends on spillover from the housing debacle, which we have only begun to see the start of.

I once started a market trends thread, round the time of the Chinese Correction in March, might be a more appropriate thread for market/economic discussion.

4 to 6 months ago the odds of recession in the US were quoted at 40-60. With what has happened since the odds will have firmed. Fed will cut and cut hard, problem is that despite cutting the inter bank loan rates credit spreads have continued to blow out. If this is not brought under control the cost of borrowing will rise. Some analysis has it that in Japan real rates have gone up 4 times whilst in the US and Europe it is 2.5 times. So the Fed has to negate this before it even effectively cuts rates.

Slightly off topic but Bush has been alseep at the wheel (what a surprise), they may avoid a technical recession but tell that to the millions who have seen their homes re-possessed and the others who have seen their house value fall. The US is driven by the consumer, if you saw this going on, would you

a) spend extra income, or
b) pay off more of the mortgage

It had to happen as their was too much cheap money around, now we have to go through some pain. Good news is Oz is pretty strong and is more linked to China and India so after an initial blip away we go. I expect the US equity markets to have a good run once the clean out has occurred. After all Bush is nearly gone and that can only be a good thing! :)

Does anything know much about Zinifex?

Divesting itself of its smelting business and changing to a pure mining company.

Also rumours that Zinifex and Oxiana (a company i hold) are in talks to merge their businesses once Zinifex has divested the Smelters.

Divesting itself of its smelting business and changing to a pure mining company.

Also rumours that Zinifex and Oxiana (a company i hold) are in talks to merge their businesses once Zinifex has divested the Smelters.

Yep - I've had my eye on ZFX for a few months now. A mate at work suggested them and was kicking myself for not buying in when they bottomed out at 14.00 in the mini 'crash' recently. They are now up around 17.00 and have been as high as 22.00 in the last six months. Yield is pretty good too.

so what do people think of zinifex??? buy or watch???

i have read conflicting reports about an oversupply and undersupply of zinc and also china stating that the prices of zinc will stay constant due to china's continuing purchase and usage as a commodity

thoughts???

i have a few grand that im looking to throw around and im wondering if zfx is good for a decent trade...

Article in today's Heraldsun regarding Oxian and Zinifex;

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22408072-664,00.html

Miner Oxiana's urge to merge with Zinifex

Felicity Williams and Emma Ambler

September 13, 2007 12:00am

OXIANA says it is willing to make a multi-billion dollar acquisition for the right business, after tipping further consolidation in the resources sector.

But the copper and gold miner also concedes it is a potential takeover target, following recent speculation about a possible merger with Zinifex.

Oxiana chief executive Owen Hegarty said yesterday that there was "no question" the company would be willing to commit to a multi-billion dollar acquisition for the right project.

He said the company would prefer to be a buyer, despite conceding that it was a potential target.

"I've got no doubt that in the same way we're looking at other people, they will be running the ruler over us," he told journalists at the Merrill Lynch Australia Investment conference in New York.

The comments follow a sharp spike in Oxiana's share price in late August, fuelled by speculation about a potential approach from Zinifex Resources.

The lead and zinc miner revealed that it had invested $199.5 million in a potential opportunity but had decided to liquidate the holding after circumstances changed.

Commenting on the outlook for the resources sector, Mr Hegarty said commodities demand was being fuelled by universal growth led by China and, to a lesser extent, India.

"There's no doubt you'll have humps and blips along the way, but as we say the direction is clear.

"It is unstoppable, text-book economic growth that you've never ever ever seen before of this scale."

Citing mining giant Rio Tinto's $US38 billion ($A45.68 billion) acquisition of Alcan, Mr Hegarty said there was "no doubt" that consolidation in the resources sector would continue.

"I don't think you've seen anything yet," he said.

Oxiana has been actively pursuing growth in the past few years, scooping up gold producer Agincourt Resources earlier this year.

The company also holds stakes of 57 per cent and 25 per cent respectively in soon-to-be-merged uranium explorers Nova Energy and Toro Energy.

Stock Resource analyst Peter Strachan said that Oxiana could look as far afield as South Africa and South America for its next buy.

"It depends on whether Owen (Hegarty) is keen enough to take on those political risks" he said.

"He's already in Laos, and part of the reason he's done what he's done in Australia is to ameliorate that political risk."

Mr Strachan said Mr Hegarty, who used to work at Rio Tinto, may also be interested if the world's third biggest miner sells off assets as part of its $44 billion takeover of Canadian aluminium producer Alcan.

Oxiana also wanted to attract more big US investors to help it grow.

Oxiana shares closed 3 higher to $3.34.

so what do people think of zinifex??? buy or watch???

i have read conflicting reports about an oversupply and undersupply of zinc and also china stating that the prices of zinc will stay constant due to china's continuing purchase and usage as a commodity

thoughts???

i have a few grand that im looking to throw around and im wondering if zfx is good for a decent trade...

My advice is make your own decision and if you don't have the knowledge to do your own research, then pay for someone who does.

With all due respect to the posters here, you don't know the knowledge any of them actually have, so essentially you would be taking a punt.

Does any1 have any info on NMS, bought before the mini crash, now seem to be going to right way. looking to have a big year next year.
Also just to recap about the REO game, got into LYC at .95c, now up to 1.13. There the biggest REO producer outside of China and have signed up contracts with some of the biggest plants in the US, Europe and China. I think i've found a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back