Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL at some of the commentary on a kid that's had two knee recos and playing his 5th game. just for those who care a comparison against other champions of our game on their 5th games.

Judd 19 D 6 Clangers
Ablett Jr 13 D 3 clangers
Franklin 10 D 1 Clangers
Bontempelli 15 D 2 clangers
Selwood 18 D 5 clangers

Shaz 15 D 0 Clangers
And Duckwood would have got 5 disposals off the umpires ;)

Interesting stats, well done

Scharenberg would be a lot older than those who I'm guessing would be 18 when they debuted straight out of TAC.
Do you ever do happy?

Ya know what lets just hope he builds and next season has a breakout game....i admitive been negative towards scharenberg but tbh i only watched the game cause i wanted to see how he went......was there a moment where the crowd jeered him?? Honest question to those that were there?? Anyway itbwas basically his first game so lets give the kid a break....go schaz!!

Ya know what lets just hope he builds and next season has a breakout game....i admitive been negative towards scharenberg but tbh i only watched the game cause i wanted to see how he went......was there a moment where the crowd jeered him?? Honest question to those that were there?? Anyway itbwas basically his first game so lets give the kid a break....go schaz!!

I dont recall the crowd jeering Schaz yesterday. Why on earth would that happen?

he got a possession on the members wing and I definitely thought it was a cheer.

Agree 'cheer' but not 'jeer'. As others have said, there's a lot of goodwill for Schaz, and a near universal hope that he'll make it.

My footy mate travelled to the game on the train yesterday. She was wearing her Pies scarf, and a stranger came up to her and spent the entire 30 minute train ride talking about Schaz and his return game. He has that effect on us.

What were people expecting?

He was always going to be cautious in his first game back in the senior team for 650+ days.

87.5% disposal efficiency.

Quality ball users out of defence is something we desperately need.

Will take the rest of this year to get AFL "match fit"... expecting a big 2018 from him.

Just stoked to get games into him this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 games in right ?

The guy has the composure of a surgeon and is going to be a jet. Surely everyone that knows the game see it?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He does some things to a very high level but there's also areas of his game that are a long way behind.

He'll make it at AFL level but it remains to be seen whether he'll be a star or more of a handy contributor like Goldsack type

He does some things to a very high level but there's also areas of his game that are a long way behind.

He'll make it at AFL level but it remains to be seen whether he'll be a star or more of a handy contributor like Goldsack type
That susincts it

Dunno thought i heard it when Brisbanemade there comeback....guess i heard things.....anyway was supposed to be a positive post
Didn't happen - any jeering.
Only cheering.

A lot of chat on Scharenberg.

Agree most want him to do well.

I guess sometimes people aren't as patient and expect to see Francis Bourke or Keith Grieg games or a player is just ordinary.

Three things take time.

May happen, may not.

But as a much touted junior and high draft pick the odds suggest if healthy there is more chance he'd blossom to a fine footballer than say Josh Smith (even though Smith has made a fine fist of his career).

And we will need players like the Berg to go up levels to see us to be a real threat in time.
That's why to me this era of successful will be built on players like Treloar, Grundy, de Goey, Maynard, and others and Scharenberg. If they blossom we will be successful if not, feel free to book your holidays in September, won't be much to do in Melbourne.

A lot of chat on Scharenberg.

Agree most want him to do well.

I guess sometimes people aren't as patient and expect to see Francis Bourke or Keith Grieg games or a player is just ordinary.

Three things take time.

May happen, may not.

But as a much touted junior and high draft pick the odds suggest if healthy there is more chance he'd blossom to a fine footballer than say Josh Smith (even though Smith has made a fine fist of his career).

And we will need players like the Berg to go up levels to see us to be a real threat in time.
That's why to me this era of successful will be built on players like Treloar, Grundy, de Goey, Maynard, and others and Scharenberg. If they blossom we will be successful if not, feel free to book your holidays in September, won't be much to do in Melbourne.
Take a break from the Scharenberg thread old boy.

The young man will be fine. Would have done him a world of good getting through the game in one piece. And he managed to do all the basics of the game well, which is incredibly important.

I'm not sure what miracles some expect in his first senior game (his 5th overall) in basically 2 years.

Agree going to be another Goldsack type.

Or FAIRANDBALANCED...

I'm going out on a limb here and will step in only to state that I believe one does it in support another player whereas the other has NFI.

Did laugh at the Goldsack type talk! By no means am I saying he'll be a star, but Goldsack is a deadset battler having a career year at 30. I will put my posting future on Scharenberg having a much better career should the footy gods smile upon him injury wise for the next decade!

Overall comparing him to a guy that's had over 20 possessions just 4 times in a 150 match career given his talent levels is a pisstake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back