Draft Profile Izak Rankine

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting if the Crows make a play for an top pick. Not sure either slides like Fogarty but both would be wanted at the Crows.
I think as this draft is so strong in the first round two first rounders would be worth more than pick one or two. Connor Rozee could well turn out better than Rankine at the end of the day for instance.

Apparently interviewed so badly with Melbourne based managers none picked him up and has gone to W sports in Adelaide run by ex-AFC employee Garry Winters who also manage Eddie Betts, Kyle Hartigan etc.

Also training with the crows.

I doubt he would fall to Adelaide or Ports first picks regardless.

They'll have to trade up picks or cough up two years down the track.

If rumours about his attitude and wanting to stay in SA carry on...

Never thought Fogarty would get to 12 either

That's a bit of a stretch. Fogarty had a poor year in terms of results and didn't address the big question mark of whether he could play in the midfield.

Assuming Rankine backs up last year he will be hot property. Assuming the first Melbourne/Adelaide pick comes in at 10.

Let's say Lukosious, Walsh, King and King are off the board. You need another five players to get selected before Rankine. And they are likely to need to be Victorian players as if you are going to get scared off by flight risk for Rankine why wouldn't you be for Hill, Rozee.

Clubs in the 5th -9th draft range wouldn't pass on a prodigious talent like Rankine. They'll back themesleves in and if he wants to leave the SA club that gets him will pay up big assuming he turns out good.

Apparently interviewed so badly with Melbourne based managers none picked him up and has gone to W sports in Adelaide run by ex-AFC employee Garry Winters who also manage Eddie Betts, Kyle Hartigan etc.

Also training with the crows.
I wouldn't be getting too excited yet. I have heard some whispers about him wanting to stay in SA. Fair enough: lots of kids want to stay at home. However, he may well be selected anyway if he is good enough. Unless Adelaide or Port want to trade to get a top 5 pick. Otherwise he could well be fined for draft tampering.

That's a bit of a stretch. Fogarty had a poor year in terms of results and didn't address the big question mark of whether he could play in the midfield.

Assuming Rankine backs up last year he will be hot property. Assuming the first Melbourne/Adelaide pick comes in at 10.

Let's say Lukosious, Walsh, King and King are off the board. You need another five players to get selected before Rankine. And they are likely to need to be Victorian players as if you are going to get scared off by flight risk for Rankine why wouldn't you be for Hill, Rozee.

Clubs in the 5th -9th draft range wouldn't pass on a prodigious talent like Rankine. They'll back themesleves in and if he wants to leave the SA club that gets him will pay up big assuming he turns out good.

Rankine won't get past pick 2 should he not be selected 1st pick and absolute elite footballer.

I think Rankine will play the Wingard playbook at some point this year.

Problem is Wingard just had to slip to pick 6, not pick 10-14.

No way he gets past a St Kilda, Dogs, Collingwood, Fremantle, West Coast type in that mid pack that will finish lower than Melbourne/Adelaide.

Fogarty slipped because he played absolutely shithouse last year, un-injured, to say he tanked the year is a long bow, he was lazy and out of form.

I think Rankine will play the Wingard playbook at some point this year.

Problem is Wingard just had to slip to pick 6, not pick 10-14.

No way he gets past a St Kilda, Dogs, Collingwood, Fremantle, West Coast type in that mid pack that will finish lower than Melbourne/Adelaide.

Fogarty slipped because he played absolutely shithouse last year, un-injured, to say he tanked the year is a long bow, he was lazy and out of form.

And Wingard only had to convince one club, already stocked to the gills with young talent, that he wasn't worth the risk.

Good luck doing that with multiple clubs.

Chances are he'd get over here and realise he actually quite likes it.

And Wingard only had to convince one club, already stocked to the gills with young talent, that he wasn't worth the risk.

I think this is true.

I think he'll end up in Melbourne somewhere though as I think the (non SA) interstate clubs may not have the stones to pick him.

Agreed - with Wingard it was also significantly about going to a brand new club. If it was a matter of moving "down the road" to Melbourne from Murray Bridge then I would not have expected for him to have had any issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't put much stock in the standard "this guy doesn't want to leave his home state he's a flight risk" talk that you hear every year unless it is directly from the guy in question. Sure a lot of the draftees would prefer to stay in their home state but the vast majority of them are open to a move interstate.

The same was rumored re Cameron Rayner last year and he has signed a 2 year extension already.

I don't put much stock in the standard "this guy doesn't want to leave his home state he's a flight risk" talk that you hear every year unless it is directly from the guy in question. Sure a lot of the draftees would prefer to stay in their home state but the vast majority of them are open to a move interstate.

The same was rumored re Cameron Rayner last year and he has signed a 2 year extension already.

Totally agree, unless there is a coin toss between the choices.

If the player is that good, you still pick them in the knowledge a home state club will give you back more in value as draft picks.

Live trading will assist this greatly and both Adelaide (currently 9, 16 and 18) and Port (8, 21 and 26) have currency this year. Port might also end up with essendon's pick 4 for Wines, which would definitely place them in Rankine range, or they could trade up both 4 and 8 for pick 1 and Lukosious.

I reckon Adelaide could throw all 3 picks on the table to get Lukosious.

Last edited:
True, although didn't Schache sign an extension? Mitch Clark was 'homesick' too (until Melbourne found a bag of cash for him).

Quite a few players leave their state and decide they love the place and never leave - Jono Brown is a good Brissie example despite Collingwood chasing him multiple times.

True, although didn't Schache sign an extension? Mitch Clark was 'homesick' too (until Melbourne found a bag of cash for him).

Quite a few players leave their state and decide they love the place and never leave - Jono Brown is a good Brissie example despite Collingwood chasing him multiple times.
Yep, on field success will enhance our ability to retain players no end, hopefully we start showing definitive signs of improvement via the win/loss column before all our young guns start coming OOC. I'm confident we will in the not too distant future.

Yep, on field success will enhance our ability to retain players no end, hopefully we start showing definitive signs of improvement via the win/loss column before all our young guns start coming OOC. I'm confident we will in the not too distant future.
The Clug still looks like the no 1 pick from his draft and you do have very promising talls. Brissie much more competitive this year too, I think you're building pretty well.

Schache was a * with his reasoning for leaving being labeled a mental health concern...So while he signed, a few of us still had doubts that signature meant much more than ink on paper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back