- We were not bullied around the ball, contrary to expectations. Huge plus
- Ridley as discussed looked completely at ease. He'll play 200 games
- Tippa looked his old self
- Raz has a class that is almost impossible to put a value on
- Hooker is an amazing footballer
- Heppell's best game of the year easily, I thought
- Bags may well have a role as a negating forward
- in general, the 1% style defensive desperation this week was fantastic
- a little disappointing to let them close the margin to as little as 34 points; the gulf between the sides on the night was more in 10-11 goal range I thought, we smashed them

Away from Essendon, I also feel Geelong have particular foibles that mean they fundamentally do not match up well with Essendon; in particular, the slowness of their midfield apart from Danger does play into our hands and Hawkins is simply a bad matchup for Hooker. It's why I was desperate to get a crack at them in the finals last year.

I'd just implore people not to expect the season to suddenly progress 10-3 win/loss wise; there's still a lot that needs to be sorted out. But that was our most complete performance as a team in a while and that is immensely pleasing.
they are a team we match well and tend to struggle with quicker teams.
Our next 3 are bogey teams. We haven't beaten the good GWS since their early days and richmond pressure us out of our preferred game plan (we should really try peg them down a level or too and make the game ugly).
And Brisbane, well, we all know what happens there
2 from the next 3 would be a good result, as there are only 2 or 3 really difficult games post-bye (eagles in WA, tigers again and Port in SA).

12 wins is achievable.

beat GWS and brisbane, and ill start to believe finals are back on the cards.
Lose the next 2 or 3, then its back to 2019 planning
Probably looking too far ahead by here is our fixture and my predictions of our chances:
Giants (a) - 50/50
Tigers (h) - 20/80
Lions (a) - 65/35
Eagles (a) - 25/75
Roos (h) - 45/55
Pies (h) - 45/55
Suns (a) - 65/35
Dockers (h) - 55/45
Swans (h) - 40/60
Hawks (h) - 45/55
Saints (h) - 60/40
Tigers (a) - 20/80
Power (a) - 35/65

Probably looking too far ahead by here is our fixture and my predictions of our chances:
Giants (a) - 50/50
Tigers (h) - 20/80
Lions (a) - 65/35
Eagles (a) - 25/75
Roos (h) - 45/55
Pies (h) - 45/55
Suns (a) - 65/35
Dockers (h) - 55/45
Swans (h) - 40/60
Hawks (h) - 45/55
Saints (h) - 60/40
Tigers (a) - 20/80
Power (a) - 35/65
We will need to win all our 40 or greater games (GWS, Lions, Roos, Pies, Suns, Dockers, Swans, Hawks, Saints) to scrape in.

So what happens when Joe's back. Pretty harsh dropping Smak if he plays like that every week. Hard to drop Stuart. Probably too tall with Tbell. Good problem I guess. I'd say Smak over Stuart because he's a good ruck. Either that or Tbell sits out...
Just drop stringer. We only need only player who doesn't lead at the ball and instead points to the goal square

One good win and we are already talking finals chances. Being essendon, we could lose to carlton again next week if we played them!

We bring that level of intensity and effort consistently and it's the only thing I really hope to see.
The Club and players are still talking finals. What you are saying is true but if they are believers, we may as well jump on board.

Just drop stringer. We only need only player who doesn't lead at the ball and instead points to the goal square
Stringer played a great game yesterday. His first and last quarters in particular. He started in the midfield playing on Selwood in both. One minute he was marking the ball on the full back line, next minute in the goal square. And his 2nd and 3rd efforts were impressive. And he doesn't wobble at the knees every time he takes a shot at goal.

woke up this morning, essendon be flying!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Anyone else pick up that the comradrie and excitement after goals seem to come mostly from the young guys? The older still didnt seem to get that into it...

I think Heppell understated demeanor doesn't work for him in this area and needs to even fake it if he has too.

After Hepp kicked the goal he was just going to stroll back to the middle but the kids were up and about and all over each other. He should have gave Clarke a dry root

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t team psychology easily the most important factor in success?

Sure, general skill level, player development, fitness, structures/tactics, and individual match-changing brilliance are all still vital ingredients but in an elite sporting environment those ingredients are all there to a degree but become completely irrelevant if the opposition are simply ‘on’.

There’s no way that you can leave out Joe, Hurls or McGrath on return to fitness but I’d take a unified bunch of lesser-lights every day if they perform like yesterday. Those 3 blokes provide a higher ceiling and, from a selfish perspective, a greater aesthetic to watch, but you just want to bottle the psychology of yesterday. Of course, we might still have played the same way with them in but it should tell them that their skill-set is not the defining be-all of team success. I want Joe to come back and hit up forward 50 leads when teammates have space instead of the long bomb. Those players making better position need to be rewarded. I want Hurls to hit the contests at full pace even if someone else will be required to clear defensive 50 after the carnage. I want McGrath to take the game on but only secondary to his defensive priorities because his defensive attributes are currently his elite capability when contributing to the team performance we just witnessed.

Last edited:
This win feels different that the ones against Crows and Port.

Against the Crows and Port, I was rapt to win but the way we were playing still wasn’t exciting to watch (compared to last year).

This win was genuinely great to watch, and something that I’ll be rewatching over and over.
When they lay bone crunching tackles, especially on oppositon guns it is awesome viewing. As good as a speckie or great goal imo.

Such a dramatic shift in the way we move the ball.

The last 4 weeks we switched and went backwards at what seemed like every available opportunity.

I reckon I could count the times we switched yesterday on both hands and when we did, we did it with purpose. We did it fast and used it to create space, not because players were scared of making mistakes.

We were brave with our ball movement and we used the corridor when we could.

It would be pretty hard to work out why from outside the club, but I hope like hell the coaching box knows.

???

he can fire next week. and the next week. geez he can win the bloody brownlow for all i care. but you’re disappointed he didn’t play well tonight? you great big silly billy

I only went to see Ablett, Danger and Selwood, not expecting anything from the other side but geez five minutes in I was like what is this side in Red & Black, where have they come from, and why have I not seen this from them before.

One good win and we are already talking finals chances. Being essendon, we could lose to carlton again next week if we played them!

We bring that level of intensity and effort consistently and it's the only thing I really hope to see.
I've only really seen people say we're a chance if we can bring that intensity consistently. Nobody saying we're sure things.

Worsfold was talking of Myers, Hurley and McGrath all being available.

Reckon Myers is too slow to play midfield and his reflexes in tight are not sharp enough. But he is a Woosha favourite. Don't know where he fits in.

If they drop Ridley (composed contested marking and precision kicking), Ambrose (hardness at the contest) or even Dea (110% effort .. chasing and nice mark) for Hurley, reckon it will hurt us.

Who will McGrath replace? Clarke got 3 possessions 1 tackle in crucial last quarter and hurled his body in and under but looked a fraction tired. Guelfi run in a straight line and was very hard at the ball but only had 1 possession in last quarter. Langford looked like he belonged and was far more physical. Laverde had 3 possessions 1 tackle in the last quarter (8 for the game) and put in.

Agree that Dea was good, thought he was among the best in the first half. Out of the mids you mention,

Langford was good
Lavarde was quiet but several times he looked strong in the contest and could have had a goal if Fanta had kicked it too him when dead in front
Guelfi was good
Clarke seemed to struggle with the pace of the game early and may have suffered from first game nerves because he seemed to play better as the match went on

I think after such a good four quarter effort and considering the lack of changes after poor performance then there shoulnd't be any changes.

McGrath, Parish and Hurley in the VFL will in itself keep the senior guys on their toes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back