Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

yeh...its pretty rough!

just lost an hour or so in old stories just then.. he was resigned to death way out

Especially the detail of the time they tried to record two tacks for music bank, everyone had given up hope
And all that stuff about his estranged father making contact and reconnecting with him after he was famous.. so he could score good drugs. Cutting off his bandmates. His body literally falling apart and knowing he'd be dead soon. Such a waste. So sad.

And all that stuff about his estranged father making contact and reconnecting with him after he was famous.. so he could score good drugs. Cutting off his bandmates. His body literally falling apart and knowing he'd be dead soon. Such a waste. So sad.

yeh terrible!

his old man nicked off when he was 15... layne tried to find him for years then didn't like the trail that lead to him (drug abuse) so focuses everything on music.. then dad sees him in magazine, finds him, uses him for drugs, gets him hooked then gets clean again.

super dad!

Hey maddog have you ever heard of/have any experience with a sydney guitar brand called Artist? They do kits and cheap knock offs. Looking at a 335 knock off for $300 free postage. Almost worth taking a punt on for that price even if it is a piece of s**t.
They look like generic Chinese jobs, which were garbage ten years ago, but those factories were always going to sort their quality control out sooner or later.

Hey maddog have you ever heard of/have any experience with a sydney guitar brand called Artist? They do kits and cheap knock offs. Looking at a 335 knock off for $300 free postage. Almost worth taking a punt on for that price even if it is a piece of s**t.
Yeah I have one of their basses which I got when I first started mucking around with bass, It's nothing special but at $200 delivered with a practice amp it got the job done.
It's chalk and cheese compared to my Ibanez but I got that cheap at 10 times the price.

I generally use artist for accessories

Ooh I nearly forgot to post a pic of the Jazz bass I bought recently.

LHHSdpR.jpg

They look like generic Chinese jobs, which were garbage ten years ago, but those factories were always going to sort their quality control out sooner or later.
Yeah they used to be really bad consistently but you can actually get some good ones now if you're lucky. Probably about 10 years ago I bought a Fender style twin neck 6/12 for $120 with a gig bag inc postage. :drunk::D The 12 string is actually surprisingly good considering the hardware is all cheap s**t but the 6 string has some problems. I've never looked at it properly. One of those jobs on the list.. but yeah for $300 I just thought it's almost worth a roll of the dice. Apparently they have a 100 day return policy if it came down to it. It's certainly about as close as I'll get to a $3-$5k one. :(

Ooh I nearly forgot to post a pic of the Jazz bass I bought recently.
Very nice. :handok:

DapperJong this is so bad it's good.

169. Unchained - Van Halen - Fair Warning

168. Covered In Chrome - Violent Soho - Hungry Ghost

167. Devil In A Midnight Mass - Billy Talent - Billy Talent II

166. Few Against Many - Hell Is For Heroes - The Neon Handshake

It's criminal that I've gotten into him so late, but this is so beautiful -

hit me up (by posting in here and not PMing as I don't check) if you ever want a couple of bootlegs i've got; one's from a show around the Teenage Snuff Film release, and one from just before his passing (edit: heh, turns out this on youtube). can't remember the audio quality on them, but I doubt Rowland's posthumous career is gonna feature a bootleg series...

I know one of his exs. She's a video editor.

my mother ****ed him, but she lies about everything so I took it with a grain of salt

Yeah they used to be really bad consistently but you can actually get some good ones now if you're lucky. Probably about 10 years ago I bought a Fender style twin neck 6/12 for $120 with a gig bag inc postage. :drunk::D The 12 string is actually surprisingly good considering the hardware is all cheap s**t but the 6 string has some problems. I've never looked at it properly. One of those jobs on the list.. but yeah for $300 I just thought it's almost worth a roll of the dice. Apparently they have a 100 day return policy if it came down to it. It's certainly about as close as I'll get to a $3-$5k one. :(

Very nice. :handok:

DapperJong this is so bad it's good.

Haha, started well but that keyboard needed to be unplugged at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got the guitar today. Have to say I'm pretty damn impressed for $300. The shittiest thing is the strings. Feels really nice. Nice weight. I only plugged it into my little Peavey practice amp just to check the electrics all worked as they should and they do. No crackling and the pots are all smooth as. Intonation almost perfect out of the box. Tuners nice and smooth with no play when you turn them either way. I'll give it a better go through my valve amp on the weekend sometime. There are actually a few weird little dark spots in the finish on the back but it's the back and, once again, for $300 I really couldn't care less. Was far more worried about s**t joinery, the neck and fretboard.

This song is ******* badass. Two golden era wrestling references also.

Grandad leaves behind treasure trove of 80,000 records, believed to be Australia's biggest collection

ABC Gold Coast
By Lucy Murray

Photo: A small sample from Ken Perkins' vast collection. (ABC Gold Coast: Lucy Murray)

What is thought to be Australia's biggest record collection is up for grabs.

The collection belonged to Gold Coast grandfather, Ken Perkins, who left behind a treasure trove of more than 80,000 records after his death.

Mr Perkins spent more than 50 years building the archive, which would take more than six-and-a-half years to listen to in its entirety.

"If anyone knew my dad, they would know he had this little black book," his daughter Natalie Perkins said.

Photo: Ken Perkins worked in the mining industry which was very ordered and consisted of lists and catalogues, also evident in his collection. (ABC Gold Coast: Lucy Murray)

"He would pull it out of his little jacket pocket and he had just the catalogue numbers of the missing pieces, the gems he was looking for."

Ms Perkins has been left with the mammoth task of clearing out his crowded house.

Photo: Natalie Perkins inherited her dad's record collection, but not his love of blues. (ABC Gold Coast: Lucy Murray)

"Just walking into the collection is overwhelming in itself, let alone trying to catalogue it," she said.

"We did try and prod Dad to give us some sort of instructions, we knew that the day would come he would pass away and this collection would be left to my sister and I.

"But he never saw this collection going in his lifetime, he wasn't interested in selling it, he didn't collect for anyone else bar himself."

Notes from beyond the grave

Ms Perkins was not left completely in the dark, however.

The ever-meticulous collector left notes for her inside the covers of his favourite albums.

"He has slipped handwritten notes into the a few of the sleeves, just indicating what they may be worth," she said.

"The first one I found was just so exciting, it was beautiful.

"With something like this you're looking for a sign and I just took that. It was a sign."

What is the collection worth?

The vinyl collection is thought to be the biggest in Australia.

Modern antiques expert Dr Daryl Sparkes said he was blown away by the size of the collection.

"It is one of the most awe-inspiring moments of my life actually," he said.

"I would have to say this is the most impressive and largest collection I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of collections."

Dr Sparkes said all the records were in perfect condition, which was surprising as some of the 78s were more than 100 years old.

"It says to me the person who was collecting these went beyond just being passionate about his collection, he was treating these albums like they were his own children," he said.

The collection was Mr Perkins' life's work and his daughter said she had no idea how much he spent putting it all together.

"Dad was from the UK originally and he was very tight-lipped about things like money," she said.

"So I don't know how much over the 50-odd years he would have invested into this collection, but I'm assuming it was quite a bit."

Dr Sparkes said pricing the records won't be easy.

"You would have to go through each individual album and rate them for quality and also for rareness and then you'd be able to work out a price," he said.

"I found some Elvis stuff, I've found some really rare Johnny Cash and people will fall over themselves for some of that stuff."

Photo: Dr Daryl Sparkes said looking through the records was awe-inspiring. (ABC Gold Coast: Lucy Murray)

Is there a buyer?

Photo: Natalie Perkins with her father Ken. (Supplied: Natalie Perkins)

Mr Perkins' collection spanned several genres, unlike many collectors who stuck to a niche, like an era or specific type of music.

"I don't think you'll ever see another collection like this in your entire life," Dr Sparkes said.

If it is to be sold, the collection would likely be split up.

"There is jazz here, there is blues here, there's surf music, there is '50s rock and not all collectors collect all of that," Dr Sparkes said.

"They will just collect a small niche area — it would be easier to sell it in sections rather than all in one go."

Photo: Natalie Perkins would like to see her dad's collection kept together, rather than cherry picked by collectors. (ABC Gold Coast: Lucy Murray)

But the Perkins family would love to see the lifetime of music kept together and not cherry-picked by different collectors.

"We believe it does have cultural significance and historic significance," Ms Perkins said.

"So we would love to see it move onto someone else — the right person."

Dr Sparks agreed.

"It is a cultural treasure, it probably needs to go into a museum or The National Film and Sound Archives," he said.

"Someone at a governmental level needs to take control of this collection as it is a national treasure."

While Ms Perkins waits for a buyer, she has created an Instagram account, The Ken Perkins Collection, dedicated to the gems in this haystack.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-18/australias-largest-record-collection-for-sale/9875556

Are you telling me you have actually heard this stuff and know what it's worth or havin a laff?

Not individual songs/artists but if you put the words Turkish (or anything middle eastern), funk and psych together, it's gonna be fockin $$$$

I looked up one of them out of interest. The 45 wasn't too bad actually. But the albums were $150 plus.

165. Many Of Horror - Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions

164. The Meaning Of Life - The Offspring - Ixnay On The Hombre

163. Thunderstruck - ACDC - The Razors Edge

162. Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

D_P_S how on earth did you come up with your top 200 list?

I flip and flop according to mood when listening to tunes, let alone when trying to rank them overall. I can't even get a consistent in order top 5 or 10 for my favourite bands!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back