Opinion The NBA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the point of following your team in the NBA when the Warriors just get star players year after year. It's a joke. Even more of a joke that you don't hear a word from Silver.

It's a joke when not only KD joins a 73 win team, but DeMarcus Cousins joining that big 4. Just wow!

It's a joke when not only KD joins a 73 win team, but DeMarcus Cousins joining that big 4. Just wow!

Might as well just give them the Title Now.

People just won't watch the NBN this Season

What's the point of following your team in the NBA when the Warriors just get star players year after year. It's a joke. Even more of a joke that you don't hear a word from Silver.

NBA will lose Money as people just won't be Intrested

Might as well just give them the Title Now.

People just won't watch the NBN this Season

It's likely going to take major injuries for the Warriors not to win the chip again this year.

NBA will lose Money as people just won't be Intrested

While you are right in so much as people will lose hope that their team will go all the way, given how overpowered the Warriors are.

I don't see the NBA losing money. I see as with the Heat when LeBron created the big 3 there, people similarly will be tuning in to all the Warriors games and rooting against them.

The media conversation will also be interesting with a lot of the talk about "is this the greatest team ever assembled in NBA history?"

You've also got the drama king LeBron in LA with all the Ball dramas and goofballs JaVale McGee and Lance Stephenson who will probably garner even more media attention and be just as interesting from the "what have they done now?" perspective. There will be a hell of a lot of people who will want to see that mess unfold.

IYou've also got the drama king LeBron in LA with all the Ball dramas and goofballs JaVale McGee and Lance Stephenson who will probably garner even more media attention and be just as interesting from the "what have they done now?" perspective. There will be a hell of a lot of people who will want to see that mess unfold.

Very True. The Circus of James at the Lakers would keep People's Attention

A lot of the mainstream media analysis today around Cousins I've found to be around the severity of achiles injuries in the context of NBA players. Other than Dominique Wilkins, no other star has been able to come back from it and play at a high level. And based on usual timelines, he shouldn't be back before the trade deadline as a best case scenario or for a more common recovery time, the playoffs. And like with ACL's it typically takes another year on top of that to get the movement or lift back (thought fortunately for Cousins movement and certainly not lift isn't such an essential part of his game).

So while Cousins is a huge number and pre-injury a big time player.

He's probably not going to give the Warriors all that much during the regular season. But during the playoffs. He'll be handy. Just having a big guy who can get rebounds is going to be big for them with the Warriors v Cleveland losing the rebound battle in each of that four game sweep.

Keeping on the most interesting team in basketball - Lakers.

There is a lot of discussion about who they should start. I'd go with.
PG: Ingram
SG: Pope
SF: LeBron
PF: Kuzma
C: Javale

Javale is an ideal guy to lob to and he's a good rim protector. Kuzma stretches the floor. Pope is a 3 and D guy. And Ingram actually plays his best basketball at the point - he can defend the position, he can score and shoot, but he's also a good handler and passer and that ideal second handler to have on the court next to LeBron because he can stretch the floor and has that shooting stroke where unlike Lonzo/Rondo he can take advantage of that space created by LeBron.

The most essential thing from here for the Lakers is moving that Deng contract. They should be calling OKC and asking about a Deng/Lonzo for Mello trade. Get rid of those years of contracts and throw in a first round pick to get the deal over the line if needed.

Otherwise it's just being opportunistic. Any stars who can be had who are compatible with LeBron. AD, Lillard, Kawhi. Go get them.

Sexton is a beast

I wanted the Bulls to draft Sexton. He was my best available on the board.

In saying that, I'm enjoying the play of Wendell Carter Jr - he may well be the best big man from last years draft the way he is playing - as something like the drafts Al Horford equivalent as that team first guy who defends, rebounds, scores, passes and doesn't need possessions to have an impact on the court.

It's a bit like in last years AFL draft, liking Darcy Fogarty, but the Pies taking Stephenson. Still getting someone seriously good even if it wasn't at the time of the draft my preferred player.

--
Really those first 9 in last years draft + Gilgeous-Alexander, Lonnie Walker, Grayson Allen, Chandler Hutchinson, Aaron Holiday, Robert Williams, Jevon Carter and Mitchell Robinson are those I'm predicting early days make it in the NBA as role players or better.

Of that first group, Marvin Bagley is the pick I question and feel Sacramento will look back on as a blunder. If it works out, he is something like Kenneth Faried with shooting which is something, but I just don't feel like he'll be that guy.

Anyone have any views on Trae Young?

I had him throughout the College Basketball season as the best prospect and he was number one on my draft board.

Started out Summer League slow, but got to Vegas and started playing good basketball.

A lot of speculation that he will fail, but I'm not seeing it. He's Steve Nash with the ability to pull up from anywhere inside half court with a release as quick as Steph's - and that gravity only opens up the floor further. I've found his lateral quickness through Summer League has been good, and he's getting stronger. Like with Nash, he won't ever be a good defender, but I think he'll put enough effort in on that end to be fine.

I'm really interested to see how the Trae/Lin combo work. Will Lin be the point guard and Trae plays off ball? Will they share the ball as per CP3 and Harden and be dual handlers?

It's a baron roster that could start to develop a successful system of play if they get a Kenneth Faried running the floor and more floor spacers, maybe a Doug McDermott and some high volume 3pt shooter around Trae/Lin.

Why should he speak? They haven't broken the rules?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone have any views on Trae Young?

I had him throughout the College Basketball season as the best prospect and he was number one on my draft board.

Started out Summer League slow, but got to Vegas and started playing good basketball.

A lot of speculation that he will fail, but I'm not seeing it. He's Steve Nash with the ability to pull up from anywhere inside half court with a release as quick as Steph's - and that gravity only opens up the floor further. I've found his lateral quickness through Summer League has been good, and he's getting stronger. Like with Nash, he won't ever be a good defender, but I think he'll put enough effort in on that end to be fine.

I'm really interested to see how the Trae/Lin combo work. Will Lin be the point guard and Trae plays off ball? Will they share the ball as per CP3 and Harden and be dual handlers?

It's a baron roster that could start to develop a successful system of play if they get a Kenneth Faried running the floor and more floor spacers, maybe a Doug McDermott and some high volume 3pt shooter around Trae/Lin.
I think he will fail at reaching superstar status this is how i rank the players drafted personally: (didnt include doncic as i didnt watch him but i think he will be a jet based on what i have heard)

1. Ayton
2. Bamba
3. Jaren Jackson
4. Bagley
5. Carter
6. Mikal Bridges
7. Sexton
8. SGA
9. Trae Young
10. Miles Bridges
11. Williams
12. Walker
13. Spellman
14. Knox

I think he will fail at reaching superstar status this is how i rank the players drafted personally: (didnt include doncic as i didnt watch him but i think he will be a jet based on what i have heard)

1. Ayton
2. Bamba
3. Jaren Jackson
4. Bagley
5. Carter
6. Mikal Bridges
7. Sexton
8. SGA
9. Trae Young
10. Miles Bridges
11. Williams
12. Walker
13. Spellman
14. Knox

I only posted by top 5 on Twitter but my draft board was:
1. Young
2. Bamba
3. Jackson Jr
4. Doncic
5. Sexton
6. Carter Jr
7. Ayton
8. Porter Jr
9. Knox
10. J.Carter
11. Hutchinson
12. Bagley
13. R.Williams
14. Gilgeous-Alexander
15. M.Robinson
16. A.Holiday
17. L.Walker
18. Mikal Bridges
19. Miles Bridges
20. G.Allen

--
After Summer League I'm tempted to move Knox up to 8, Robinson up to 9 and Walker up to 10 and everyone else moves down to accommodate that. Though really until regular season, I won't know how right/wrong or otherwise I am on any of these guys.

I only posted by top 5 on Twitter but my draft board was:
1. Young
2. Bamba
3. Jackson Jr
4. Doncic
5. Sexton
6. Carter Jr
7. Ayton
8. Porter Jr
9. Knox
10. J.Carter
11. Hutchinson
12. Bagley
13. R.Williams
14. Gilgeous-Alexander
15. M.Robinson
16. A.Holiday
17. L.Walker
18. Mikal Bridges
19. Miles Bridges
20. G.Allen

--
After Summer League I'm tempted to move Knox up to 8, Robinson up to 9 and Walker up to 10 and everyone else moves down to accommodate that. Though really until regular season, I won't know how right/wrong or otherwise I am on any of these guys.

How can you rate SGA at #14 when countless commentators in the US are saying he's the best PG in the draft?

How can you rate SGA at #14 when countless commentators in the US are saying he's the best PG in the draft?

He's long and intriguing which seems to be why media commentators are interested in him. If things work out, he could be Michael Carter Williams with a better shot.

I see other guys who are more special.

Trae Young I view long term as Steve Nash with longer shooting range and a quicker release.

Sexton is ultra aggressive, athletic and has a lot of Westbrook to him. Similarly isn't that kind of range shooter, but something like a slightly less ball dominant Westbrook.

I don't have SGA on that level.

Young and Sexton for mine are underrated.

Jevon Carter I also view as severely underrated. He's your Patrick Beverley from the draft - pick you up full court but has a complete game - good scorer, shoots from range and can score in a number of ways, good passer. He's probably the most ready-to-go prospect in the draft given his experience, but he's a low risk type who can play a role tomorrow.

MCW was a rookie of the year. He'd be fine if he could shoot. He just can't.

Saying SGA is MCW with a better shot is probably fair.

MCW had a great rookie season and has done nothing since.
I have high expectations for SGA.

What are your thoughts on Jerome Robinson?
Apparently he was Jerry West's favourite player from the draft but it seems like he's the only one who sees something in him.

MCW had a great rookie season and has done nothing since.
I have high expectations for SGA.

What are your thoughts on Jerome Robinson?
Apparently he was Jerry West's favourite player from the draft but it seems like he's the only one who sees something in him.

He's a good shooter and someone I probably should have fit inside my top 20. He'd probably be that next guy on my draft board and in thinking about him further probably could have been ahead of both Bridges and Allen. I can see him finding a role as a shooter who fits into a rotation, possibly starting down the track but probably more likely coming off the bench and fitting in.
He's not ball dominant or one of those iso players who doesn't move it. So I don't mind him. He's below average defensively and he won't be a star, but I see him as a component of a team which in that range where taken is fine.

Extremely early days but Bagley has been awful, classic Sacramento..... Mikal Bridges has been disappointing too

Ayton, Sexton, SGA, Doncic, Jackson jnr all showing things.

Doncic and Sexton will be the two in the mix for ROY.

Wendell Carter Jr will be one of the best from last years draft.

Kevin Knox and Miles Bridges are both far exceeding my expectations and well be focal points in the Knicks/Hornets offences respectively.

Ayton going much better than I predicted, though he'll have to not be a black hole on defence and continue that kind of production into the season to prove me wrong.

I also see Trae Young coming good. It's just going to be hard early days with no one around him and defences to lock in and play tight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back