Food & Drink The Hangar Beer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

images
So is it a Schwarz or a Dunkel?

Garage Project Cereal Milk Stout is utterly smashable. Nothing too complex but easy to drink.

The Chop from Hop Nation in Footscray is a cracking IPA.

How much are they Doss ? per slab? Dan Murphys?
Nah it was at Westgarth cellars. Never seen the Colonial porter before and unfortunately they weren’t cheap; they were charging $29 for the six pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when you think you be gotten over something, things that s**t me...

I had a craving for a porter a coupla weeks back so i found myself in the only bottleshop to be open post 2100hrs in this god forsaken town, BWS, and was scouring the fridge as best i could. This itself raised my BP a little as the seemingly random way chain bottle shops "sort" their fridges is one of the thing that shits me.

So Mr Shop-closes-in-15-please-let-there-not-be-any-customers comes over "can i help you?" to which it turns out the correct answer was "well obviously you can't" but instead I mistook him for somebody who at around 40 years of age should have some reasonable level of vocational knowledge and I asked him if they had any porters.

His response was to repeat the word porter in a slightly higher pitch than the pitch he used for any of the other words he used whilst in my presence.

I should've known to quit with this bloke earlier than I did, but the conversation unfortunately dragged out a little further and as it did it seemed to me this glorified trolley boy was accusing me of making something up that didn't exist, like I'd just walked in asked him where they keep the Skittlebräu.

Now the thing that really shits me is that in his attempts to expose me for the fraud that i am he ran a little one man inquisition hoping that I would crack and confess to having made s**t up "have you ever bought this [so called] porter before? Have you ever bought it here? What brand is it?"

I actually lost my cool at this point, and so rather than finding a way to tactfully disengage from further conversation I regrettably pushed on with a mistaken belief that somehow I could achieve some purpose in proving the existence of the alleged beverage to this unconvinced fridge disorganiser.

I thought back to the last time I could remember Porter on the shelves of such an establishment and I offered up an answer to his rat-a-tat tat multi-pronged question "James Squire make one you've sold" and quick as a flash and with one eye no doubt on the clock, he pointed out a bottle of pale ale "Here's James Squires" he said condescendingly.

Now I know what you're thinking; "surely you bludgeoned him to death with that bottle?" But I didn't, as that would constitute murder most foul.

Instead I pushed through the red mist and, after briefly thinking about the futility of explaining my repulsion to the notion of drinking 50 lashes in 7 deg weather, I exited the store vowing not to settle for a stout. * them, compromise would only reward the employment of somebody who knows nothing about what they're doing and encourages further homogenisation on our available choices.

Long story short: I could've killed for one of those...

Just when you think you be gotten over something, things that s**t me...

I had a craving for a porter a coupla weeks back so i found myself in the only bottleshop to be open post 2100hrs in this god forsaken town, BWS, and was scouring the fridge as best i could. This itself raised my BP a little as the seemingly random way chain bottle shops "sort" their fridges is one of the thing that shits me.

So Mr Shop-closes-in-15-please-let-there-not-be-any-customers comes over "can i help you?" to which it turns out the correct answer was "well obviously you can't" but instead I mistook him for somebody who at around 40 years of age should have some reasonable level of vocational knowledge and I asked him if they had any porters.

His response was to repeat the word porter in a slightly higher pitch than the pitch he used for any of the other words he used whilst in my presence.

I should've known to quit with this bloke earlier than I did, but the conversation unfortunately dragged out a little further and as it did it seemed to me this glorified trolley boy was accusing me of making something up that didn't exist, like I'd just walked in asked him where they keep the Skittlebräu.

Now the thing that really shits me is that in his attempts to expose me for the fraud that i am he ran a little one man inquisition hoping that I would crack and confess to having made s**t up "have you ever bought this [so called] porter before? Have you ever bought it here? What brand is it?"

I actually lost my cool at this point, and so rather than finding a way to tactfully disengage from further conversation I regrettably pushed on with a mistaken belief that somehow I could achieve some purpose in proving the existence of the alleged beverage to this unconvinced fridge disorganiser.

I thought back to the last time I could remember Porter on the shelves of such an establishment and I offered up an answer to his rat-a-tat tat multi-pronged question "James Squire make one you've sold" and quick as a flash and with one eye no doubt on the clock, he pointed out a bottle of pale ale "Here's James Squires" he said condescendingly.

Now I know what you're thinking; "surely you bludgeoned him to death with that bottle?" But I didn't, as that would constitute murder most foul.

Instead I pushed through the red mist and, after briefly thinking about the futility of explaining my repulsion to the notion of drinking 50 lashes in 7 deg weather, I exited the store vowing not to settle for a stout. **** them, compromise would only reward the employment of somebody who knows nothing about what they're doing and encourages further homogenisation on our available choices.

Long story short: I could've killed for one of those...
Works at a bottle shop. Doesn't know what a porter is. Jesus...

Having said that, I'd have settled for the stout if I were in your shoes.

Watching this trade table rubbish...and I keep seeing this reference to 'Carlton Zero'.

As if Carlton beers (other than Carlton Black and Abbotsford) aren't rubbish enough as is; now they go and make a zero alcohol shemozzle. Jesus Christ.

Watching this trade table rubbish...and I keep seeing this reference to 'Carlton Zero'.

As if Carlton beers (other than Carlton Black and Abbotsford) aren't rubbish enough as is; now they go and make a zero alcohol shemozzle. Jesus Christ.
It's horrible. There are good alcohol free beers, but Carlton is malt driven. So without the fermentation turning all that sugar to alcohol you are left with loads of sugar. I think that's the story. Doesn't taste like beer (like good zero beers do).

One day "craft brewing" will grow up and realise that the extent to which the taste of beer resembles potpourri is not reflective, in any way, of its quality.
A very old quote but worth dragging up; I feel we're still a way off getting to this point. Still far too many beers being churned out that taste more like an orange and pineapple splice, than actual beer.

I don't think I ever posted this here; but in the hours before my wedding last year, myself and the groomsmen got together for some pool and relaxation once we were all dressed and ready. I supplied Coopers Mild (the orange labelled one) so that we could have a few without getting tipsy - I couldn't slur my lines at the ceremony, you see.

It's a beer I've had a bit of through the years, without it ever becoming a regular.

Anyway, man it went down well. It's only 3.5% but it's full flavour and very, very smashable. I recommend it thoroughly to anyone who is looking to have a few, with less risk of getting plastered.

Was the recipient of one of those international beer 12 packs for the work Kris Kringle. Nothing incredible, some decent enough numbers in there though, for example Estrella and Hoegaarden.

At the other end of the scale, Miller Chill - gross. Coors - barf.

The worst though? A Fijian number by the name of Vonu. In fairness, it does say it's an ultra low carb lager so it was never likely to be full of flavour, but this stuff is hideous; it may as well be soda water with straw dye dropped in.

It may well be the worst beer I've ever had.

This stuff honestly makes Corona seem full of flavour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back