Song Contest Part XIII, Host: JoshWoodenSpoon, Theme: Woodblocks/Cowbells, Noms Due: Mon 8:45pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can see what will probably be my billy.

Can't get into them.

I wouldn't call them derivative exactly. But they just leave me cold apart from the odd dreamy section.

Do they have a standout song?
Dying To Hear, Come Across, Rain, All My Girlfriends are Zeppelins and Falling Away are all gems. Derivative isn't the word, but they definitely do wear their influences on their sleeves (most particularly The Go-Betweens imo). I also have a soft spot for them because they put on a great live performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point on TGB.

The Go-Betweens with a healthy dose of UK new wave and and a pinch of shoegaze is a good description from what is heard. I'll give those tracks a listen.

Being a local band and likely to produce more music means I'm interested.
The keyboardist of the band, Sarah Sykes, is the frontwoman of another band that have a pretty similar sound. I prefer Flowertruck, but it's cool that Sykes has another project. She's too good a vocalist to always be playing second fiddle.

Charles Rushforth is in another band too (Bored Shorts). Their new single is good, but again, they aren't as good as Flowertruck.

The keyboardist of the band, Sarah Sykes, is the frontwoman of another band that have a pretty similar sound. I prefer Flowertruck, but it's cool that Sykes has another project. She's too good a vocalist to always be playing second fiddle.

Charles Rushforth is in another band too (Bored Shorts). Their new single is good, but again, they aren't as good as Flowertruck.

Vocally, she reminds me of James Reyne circa 1987.

Vocally, she reminds me of James Reyne circa 1987.
Both hers and Rushforth's songwriting reminds me a bit of his too, actually.

A lot of the acts on Dinosaur City Records seem to be inspired by 80s Australian bands, but they mostly have a pretty refreshing approach.

Gee, it's such a shame for this contest that I've been so busy lately. Some of the absolute gems I've been listening to as of late could quite literally drag this contest up to levels of integrity that most would have thought to be impossible.
The contest is not the same without you SS.
Your integrity award should be an every round thing if you have the time.

Also as you may or may not be aware I have instituted a new anti-award for the most whiny example of Millennial softcockery each round- 'The Limpy' award.
The fear of receiving one had the effect that the next round people lifted their game significantly.

Would you be so kind as to take 2 minutes to run your eye o' integrity over each round and pick out a 'Blatant bote whore of the round' award or 'The Streetwalker' even if you dont have time to bestow a well considered 'Integrity' award?
This stick rather than carrot approach may have seen roo2macca avoid nomming a ******* Beatle the very next round.

He's the king.

People love modern jazz like Kamasi and Pungo, but you can't beat the originals.

Most only like Kamasi when there's a whiney bloke from Compton rapping over the top.

The contest is not the same without you SS.
Your integrity award should be an every round thing if you have the time.

Also as you may or may not be aware I have instituted a new anti-award for the most whiny example of Millennial softcockery each round- 'The Limpy' award.
The fear of receiving one had the effect that the next round people lifted their game significantly.

Would you be so kind as to take 2 minutes to run your eye o' integrity over each round and pick out a 'Blatant bote whore of the round' award or 'The Streetwalker' even if you dont have time to bestow a well considered 'Integrity' award?
This stick rather than carrot approach may have seen roo2macca avoid nomming a ******* Beatle the very next round.
Things will clear up and I will look to institute both very soon. I haven't done enough charity work this year.
Never heard of Sunscreen. I'll give it a go.

Is Bored Shorts a reference to Bored Nothing?
I'm not too sure. Such a shame about him though. His first album was really solid.

He's the king.

People love modern jazz like Kamasi and Pungo, but you can't beat the originals.
Most only like Kamasi when there's a whiney bloke from Compton rapping over the top.
Kamasi is good, just too much filler on his 2 latest albums (not familiar with his other work).

Speaking of Coltrane, Alice Coltrane is so underrated. Ptah, the El Daoud, Journey in Satchidananda and Universal Consciousness is an incredible run of albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back