Mitch McGovern 2: As The Worm Turns (read the OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Research is not that simple.
since 2000 SA has had 17 top ten,
6 stayed including Francis and Mayes. Both who still may move.
5 return to SA,
4 Changed Clubs
2 went to Port.

South Australia drafted top ten are not grantee to stay at there clubs. More so when you add Mayes and possibly Francis.
6 out or 17 stayed and how many picked up by local? Cmon you know you’re making something frightful look less than average, sir.

If McAdam is valued at pick 30, and you're getting pick 25 as well, you're getting the equivalent in points value of pick 10-11. That seems more than fair. Even if McAdam is only valued at pick 40, you're still getting the equivalent in points value of pick 13-14. Seems to me that Reid is getting a good outcome for your club.

You know what's better than having the points equivalent of pick 10? Actually having pick 10

6 out or 17 stayed and how many picked up by local? Cmon you know you’re making something frightful look less than average, sir.
I mention that,
5 returned to SA. Cannot see what your problem is.
Looking at the more recent stats it an even better chance that Luko and Rankine will return to SA at some time.

If McAdam is valued at pick 30, and you're getting pick 25 as well, you're getting the equivalent in points value of pick 10-11. That seems more than fair. Even if McAdam is only valued at pick 40, you're still getting the equivalent in points value of pick 13-14. Seems to me that Reid is getting a good outcome for your club.
May I interest you in a handful of picks in the thirties in exchange for pick one? Points wise it would be a good outcome for your club.

But you're not understanding ....it's not about points, it's about you getting us a pick, we can further bundle to advance the Draft Order

You (Carl) have a strategy .....but you have to realise, we do as well

If Adelaide had been scouting McAdam for some time then he's obviously part of the strategy (maybe not the 'get a top 5 pick' part, but presumably there are several parts of the strategy, and this is one). Your club knows him, and obviously rates him.

If Adelaide had been scouting McAdam for some time then he's obviously part of the strategy (maybe not the 'get a top 5 pick' part, but presumably there are several parts of the strategy, and this is one). Your club knows him, and obviously rates him.
Reportedly signing with Gold Coast

Yes, because then we can use those delicious points to bid on that gun f/s or academy player we're after this year.

Oh, wait....

It's already been pointed out to, but to be clear - the points equivalent of pick 10 is NOT THE SAME AS ACTUALLY HAVING PICK 10.

Even SOS understands that. Maybe.

Does it spend much time in their defence, though? From what I saw of them, it was through there and back to the centre bounce pretty damn quickly.
Does conceding a goal count as a Rebound 50?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern and 8 for 1 is also the equivalent of pick 10-11. I’ll assume you’re ok with that?

Looks like Shiel is headed to Hawthorn, which is helpful for us, especially if Setterfield opts for the Bombers - it means that, along with Sam Mitchell taking a coaching job at the Hawks, all their destination club targets will have knocked them back in public, and they'll become even more desperate to land the one player that actually wants to go there. If they fail to land McGovern after convincing him to break a contract, on top of the rejections, it would be a PR catastrophe rounding out an already historically disastrous season.

Looks like Shiel is headed to Hawthorn, which is helpful for us, especially if Setterfield opts for the Bombers - it means that, along with Sam Mitchell taking a coaching job at the Hawks, all their destination club targets will have knocked them back in public, and they'll become even more desperate to land the one player that actually wants to go there. If they fail to land McGovern after convincing him to break a contract, on top of the rejections, it would be a PR catastrophe rounding out an already historically disastrous season.
All the others choosing potential premierships over Carlton....good move

They were after Rockliff and Devon Smith last year as well, and look how that turned out.

Edit: They did get Lobbe, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Last edited:
Both Bickley and Rowe are saying that the McGovern to Carlton deal is done.

They're intimating that its one of picks 24 or 25 (which will blow out to 27 or 29) plus McAdam

There is the small detail that McAdam isn’t even a Carlton player and therefore not there to trade.

However, I’m not putting this as a limiting factor in the AFL. Hopefully we can use the same loophole to trade Gaff for Fyfe and Hannebery and Polec for Grundy. That should strengthen our list.

I think there is an end game here.. I really don’t care what we get for McFlimsy, as long as we get Luko or Rankine...
It may seem like we’ll get unders, but packaged up, it could get us what we want..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That doesn’t make any sense. If we accept under for one trade, and use that under with a top up to do another trade - how does that negate us getting 60c on the $ in the first place?

They were after Rockliff and Devon Smith last year as well, and look how that turned out.

If it happens as being suggested (only the Sam Mitchell bit is confirmed thus far), they'll have placed themselves into a position similar to Gold Coast last year, where they'll have to pay up just to get a public win that keeps the wolves at bay another year.

You don't need our pick 1 anyway. We'll be taking Walsh, so you only need pick 2 or 3 to guarantee one of Luko or Rankine. I can see you bundling picks to get one of those from GC. I reckon your recruitment team know this too which is why it works better to keep your other round one picks rather than working them into the McGovern deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back