Mitch McGovern 2: As The Worm Turns (read the OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's see how long before the carlton fans turn on him when he has continuous sub-10 possession games without a shot at goal.
He'll kick the odd bag. But very interesting to see how he goes in a poorer team.
On reflection, contracted or not, I'm happy with what we got for him.

Let's see how long before the carlton fans turn on him when he has continuous sub-10 possession games without a shot at goal.
He'll kick the odd bag. But very interesting to see how he goes in a poorer team.
On reflection, contracted or not, I'm happy with what we got for him.

Nail, hammer, head.
I'm glad he's gone from our team. Think he would've played a fair bit of SANFL in 2019 if he'd stayed.

I'm suggesting that the mounting humiliation can be wiped out with one premiership.

Do you think Richmond fans carry humiliation now? (leaving aside their finals exists). I don't.
Of course they do.

They are 1 or two seasons away from that same crap. 1 flag will be forgotten.

I still wish we would win something i could forget though.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Would cost you 2 first rounders though.
But seriously as Adelaide start their rebuild this year, what positions need prioritising in this years draft. Fantastic draft hand so Adelaide should be hopeful of pushing for finals again in 5-6 years but can't afford to take quality players that leave after a few years.
Always admired your ability to develop players (something Carlton have struggled with until the last couple of years) but must bea focus on local talent perhaps?
Good luck in the draft!
LOL, a Carlton fan trolling a team for not making finals...hahahhaha

That being said - winning needs to eventually amount to something.
And this is where the frustration creeps in when you read posts like your ' 3rd best winning % since beginning' . Thats great and its nice that the club thinks being competitive is fine but there comes a time it needs to come together to get the payoff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought they were still scratching around for the deposit?

Nobody said the loan was going to get approved. Tighter lending standards these days etc, they won't just lend a pile of money to any idiot off the street like they used to :p

Is it safe to say the AFL came down hard on Carlton for salary cap cheating in the 90s and they haven’t recovered since?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those penalties were a generation ago, and weren't really all that much heavier than what we copped over the Tippett affair. Although we did have the advantage that free agency had been introduced, so we were at least able to land Eddie Betts that way. But Carlton could have and should have rebuilt the entire list with the number of early draft picks they've had since those days. The problems have actually been caused by the recruiting / development AFTER the salary cap breach penalties. They made some atrocious calls at the draft and trade tables, and they were nothing to do with the salary cap penalties.

Is it safe to say the AFL came down hard on Carlton for salary cap cheating in the 90s and they haven’t recovered since?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would be inclined to argue that is one part of the problem, but not the thing that has forced Carlton into 15 years of shitness.

Just looking at the Draft order and thinking being in the right place /right place scenario. WC received an end of 1st round draft pick 20 for their 2nd /3rd string ruckman owing to RFA and if Gov was a RFA we would have pick 9.

Just looking at the Draft order and thinking being in the right place /right place scenario. WC received an end of 1st round draft pick 20 for their 2nd /3rd string ruckman owing to RFA and if Gov was a RFA we would have pick 9.

Depends on how good McAdam turns out. 13 + McAdam may, in the long run, be better than just pick 9. Although I'm still unhappy we allowed the pick swap from round 3 down to round 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back