The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you thoughts on the pathways programs and army of coaches seemingly in place from under 12 right through? What I'm seeing is a generation of bowling-machine fed bastmen, who are taught to react not to think. The sameness in technique and reliance on belligerent batting is a concern to me.

I've long been keeping an eye on Sangha. While he's rrelatively recently entered the pathways system he did start out playing against men from a young age and have to work stuff out by himself etc. I think batsmen who have to struggle and work stuff out is a good thing.
I personally think there are too many coaches and way too many fingers in the pie , especially at club and through rep and development systems these days .
Coaching in general has become incredible rigid with no real flexibility.
It’s frustrating to watch to be honest but has been happening for a long time

Bowling machines can be a batters best friend and worst enemy all in one. I always think you need someone feeding the balls who is good at .
Someone who will make subtle length and line changes .
Most just drop the ball in after the batsman asks to crash half volleys to the back of the net .

The art of building an innings for the most part is a lost art now.
From my start in premier cricket to my finish the coaching and training ethos with batting had changed dramatically
Was play in the ‘v’ , work singles , get in and then play some shots .
But the end it was open the face to third man , hit over the top to spread the field and be aggressive .

I always advise budding batsman to find a good 1-1 coach who can give technical advice but teach the craft also.
They are out there you’ve just got to find them .

I could talk about this stuff all day long but I don’t want to bore you to tears !

I personally think there are too many coaches and way too many fingers in the pie , especially at club and through rep and development systems these days .
Coaching in general has become incredible rigid with no real flexibility.
It’s frustrating to watch to be honest but has been happening for a long time

Bowling machines can be a batters best friend and worst enemy all in one. I always think you need someone feeding the balls who is good at .
Someone who will make subtle length and line changes .
Most just drop the ball in after the batsman asks to crash half volleys to the back of the net .

The art of building an innings for the most part is a lost art now.
From my start in premier cricket to my finish the coaching and training ethos with batting had changed dramatically
Was play in the ‘v’ , work singles , get in and then play some shots .
But the end it was open the face to third man , hit over the top to spread the field and be aggressive .

I always advise budding batsman to find a good 1-1 coach who can give technical advice but teach the craft also.
They are out there you’ve just got to find them .

I could talk about this stuff all day long but I don’t want to bore you to tears !

You're not boring me. I know exactly what you're saying.

Not a bad effort to dismiss India twice for less than 600. In with a chance if only the batsmen could dig in without getting too cautious.
Unfortunately with our batting being shaky at best we probably need to keep them 250 max per innings
I actually think they out bowled us overall, were a bit more patient then we were

Unfortunately with our batting being shaky at best we probably need to keep them 250 max per innings
I actually think they out bowled us overall, were a bit more patient then we were
Disagree about being out bowled. The Indian batting order is VASTLY superior to ours. For us to get that close in the end is clearly a testament to our bowlers - as good as any in the world.

Disagree about being out bowled. The Indian batting order is VASTLY superior to ours. For us to get that close in the end is clearly a testament to our bowlers - as good as any in the world.
No doubt , its miles ahead of ours and I dare say will only get better each test match.

I thought they bowled with far more patience than we did , they had clear plans and stuck with them bar when Kohli hit the panic button late in the game .
At times we looked like we were trying to take a wicket every ball which played into there hands . If you were picking one of the attacks you pick ours though.

No doubt , its miles ahead of ours and I dare say will only get better each test match.

I thought they bowled with far more patience than we did , they had clear plans and stuck with them bar when Kohli hit the panic button late in the game .
At times we looked like we were trying to take a wicket every ball which played into there hands . If you were picking one of the attacks you pick ours though.
These stats seem to back up your position, so I will concede.
upload_2018-12-12_19-3-54.png

I am looking forward to the Perth test. Love the pace and thrioll of it all.

I remember when I was a kid and the great West Indian sides visiting our shores. Well, for the first test some idiot thought it would be a good idea if it was played in Perth. And then another idiot won the test and decide to bat... well, my memory was Michael Holding steaming in and destroying our summer before it hardly began.

I remember when I was a kid and the great West Indian sides visiting our shores. Well, for the first test some idiot thought it would be a good idea if it was played in Perth. And then another idiot won the test and decide to bat... well, my memory was Michael Holding steaming in and destroying our summer before it hardly began.
It’s my favourite test to watch , sounds like new ground has some more of the old bounce and pace in it.
Used to love at the waca how by day 4/5 you got the massive cracks and inevitable a bowler would hit one on a good length and the ball would end up in 2nd slips hands .
Then someone would I’ll be bowled by a grubber

Oh and Curtly steaming in and hitting the bats splice off a full length .......taking 7/1

Speaking of the West Indies, I remember as a kid growing up in Wangaratta, the Windies played the local XI at the Wangaratta Showgrounds. Now this is not a small ground by any means. The local team was batting and I stood behind the stumps at the bowlers end (behind the boundary fence, of course). Wes Hall came on and I swear I could see the whites of his eyes before he turned and started his run in. Awesome to watch. Later, Sobers came in to bat and started flaying it all over the park. He was on about 45 when he played a slightly lofted cover drive. A local bowler at full stretched dived and caught the ball in one hand inches off the ground. One of the best catches you will ever see. But he was roundly booed. No one wanted to see the great man end his innings.

My cricketing highlight. Not even a test match.

Speaking of the West Indies, I remember as a kid growing up in Wangaratta, the Windies played the local XI at the Wangaratta Showgrounds. Now this is not a small ground by any means. The local team was batting and I stood behind the stumps at the bowlers end (behind the boundary fence, of course). Wes Hall came on and I swear I could see the whites of his eyes before he turned and started his run in. Awesome to watch. Later, Sobers came in to bat and started flaying it all over the park. He was on about 45 when he played a slightly lofted cover drive. A local bowler at full stretched dived and caught the ball in one hand inches off the ground. One of the best catches you will ever see. But he was roundly booed. No one wanted to see the great man end his innings.

My cricketing highlight. Not even a test match.
Sobers is one guy I would love to be able to go back in time and watch bat live ( Pollock and Bradman the two others )
What a record he has

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1984. Holding was unstoppable in that test. Routed us.

All the commentators are saying that Aus did really well in the first session. Well, maybe they did compared to last test. But they scored only 19 in the second hour. FMD. The slow down came when Finch was hit on the pads twice in consecutive balls. Kohli reviewed the first and lost, but didn't review the second - and lost again as the ball was on track to hit.

Finding myself more interested in the ICC U19 World Cup qualifiers Asia Division Two where Hong Kong is playing Maldives in Chiang Mai. All sides in this comp seem to be made up of resident players of Sub-Continent heritage. Maldives has just scored a run after losing their first 3 wickets for zip. Massive interest in seeing if they can get to 20 in a rain-shortened match of 28 overs.

After 12 overs, Maldives are solidifying their position with the score at 3/10. Pick of the bowlers is Vikas Sharma with figures of 5-4-1-1.

Have to leave it at that because I do not have time to sit and watch.

But I will come back to check the result.

Edit:
After 16 overs, Maldives were 4/16. Then the no. 6 batsman went berserk hitting 16 off the 17th over, doubling the score in one fell swoop. Whilst the opening bowler for Hong Kong, Mohammed Hassan, bowled quite well, his team mate, Hassan Mohammed is just leaking extras at every turn and has been replaced mid-over.

In the words of Bill Lawry, it is all happening here.

In an eventful 20th over, Abdul Urslan comes on and bowls 2 no balls, 2 wides and takes 2 wickets.

And there we have it. Maldives all out for 48 from 26.2 overs. The berserker and extras top scored with 17 a-piece. The rest contributed a mere 14 runs.

Hong Kong are in with a bit of a shot here, I think.

Last edited:
Paine played Kohli on an absolute break yesterday .

The comment to Vijay was just icing on the cake .

Kohli's comment today stamps him as one of the world's biggest arseholes.

Paine comment to Vijay (re Kohli) was perhaps the greatest sledge of all.

Yeah, it was awesome. Loved it.

What a great to watch. I've been quite impressed with Paine's batting too. He's calm.

Finding myself more interested in the ICC U19 World Cup qualifiers Asia Division Two where Hong Kong is playing Maldives in Chiang Mai. All sides in this comp seem to be made up of resident players of Sub-Continent heritage. Maldives has just scored a run after losing their first 3 wickets for zip. Massive interest in seeing if they can get to 20 in a rain-shortened match of 28 overs.

After 12 overs, Maldives are solidifying their position with the score at 3/10. Pick of the bowlers is Vikas Sharma with figures of 5-4-1-1.

Have to leave it at that because I do not have time to sit and watch.

But I will come back to check the result.

Edit:
After 16 overs, Maldives were 4/16. Then the no. 6 batsman went berserk hitting 16 off the 17th over, doubling the score in one fell swoop. Whilst the opening bowler for Hong Kong, Mohammed Hassan, bowled quite well, his team mate, Hassan Mohammed is just leaking extras at every turn and has been replaced mid-over.

In the words of Bill Lawry, it is all happening here.

In an eventful 20th over, Abdul Urslan comes on and bowls 2 no balls, 2 wides and takes 2 wickets.

And there we have it. Maldives all out for 48 from 26.2 overs. The berserker and extras top scored with 17 a-piece. The rest contributed a mere 14 runs.

Hong Kong are in with a bit of a shot here, I think.
For those interested, Hong Kong beat Qatar for third place.
The final between Kuwait and Oman was tied. I guess they will play again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back