Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hazelwood out for the test series with a stress fracture.

Also, it was funny listening to Warne when all the Vics pissed away our chance of winning.
Will be interesting to see who replaces Hazelwood. It's a pity Pattinson isn't fully fit yet. Selectors will probably pick Siddle, but don't believe he is the answer.

Will be interesting to see who replaces Hazelwood. It's a pity Pattinson isn't fully fit yet. Selectors will probably pick Siddle, but don't believe he is the answer.
Going to be super depressing seeing the squad announced a few weeks back + Pattersons form compared to what we likely end up going with.

Burns, Harris, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Pucovski, Head, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Siddle is what we likely field.
Would much prefer Patterson in for Labuschagne.
And a number of quicks before Siddle.

Richardson.
I like Siddle, but he's past his use-by date and was ineffective against India. Richardson and Stanlake are worth developing. Stanlake is one-dimensional at this stage but he's young, tall and keen, and should get better.
Pattinson would be a bonus. We're spoiled for bowling choices right now, but need a wicket-taking spinner for the ODI World Cup (is Zampa the one?).
Does Rashid Khan want to play for us :rolleyes: :)? I wish.

Kurtis Patterson gets another 100 while 2 of the 4 incoming players fail against Sri Lanka.

Lampshade got a 50 and Pucovski 30 odd not out.

Maybe we picked the wrong bloke.

Says something about the selectors don't you think? lol
To be fair, your criticising the selectors for making exactly the same changes that most of the BF intelligentsia were calling for them to make.

To be fair, it was reasonably predictable. Renshaw's form has been awful for the last 6 months, Burns hasn't played List A cricket in almost 2 months, and the Lampshade has never been any good. Burns is a victim of CA's sh!thouse scheduling.

That’s alright, I’ll just keep highlighting it, eventually it will sink in for you and you might become a better person. Just think of it as community service
[keeps pressing ignore troll button]

To be fair, your criticising the selectors for making exactly the same changes that most of the BF intelligentsia were calling for them to make.

To be fair, it was reasonably predictable. Renshaw's form has been awful for the last 6 months, Burns hasn't played List A cricket in almost 2 months, and the Lampshade has never been any good. Burns is a victim of CA's sh!thouse scheduling.
Why don't we go horse for courses rather than restrictively sticking to the squad...

Harris
Khawaja
Labushagne
Patterson
Head
Pucovski
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Richardson

Ps. Just heard Richardson has been added so must play ahead of Siddle.

Why not add the in form Patterson too...

CA has done this to themselves anyway. I personally don't care for T20 as I enjoy Test Cricket more but I can see why T20 is now in the limelight and CA likes the cash it makes.

The CA Selectors (the ones that choose the main squad and the team selectors just keep the some old failed batsmen, Only one that has promise is Harris. In the current climate CA should have gone youth at least against SL, but that's just IMHO lol

Why don't we go horse for courses rather than restrictively sticking to the squad...

Harris
Khawaja
Labushagne
Patterson
Head
Pucovski
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Richardson

Ps. Just heard Richardson has been added so must play ahead of Siddle.

Why not add the in form Patterson too...
This is my preferred team. Would enjoy watching this XI play with an eye for England whilst still winning.
Then we could bring in Smith and Warner for Harris/Khawaja (form) and whoever out of Pucovski, Head, Patterson and Labuschagne hasn’t performed.

CA has done this to themselves anyway. I personally don't care for T20 as I enjoy Test Cricket more but I can see why T20 is now in the limelight and CA likes the cash it makes.

The CA Selectors (the ones that choose the main squad and the team selectors just keep the some old failed batsmen, Only one that has promise is Harris. In the current climate CA should have gone youth at least against SL, but that's just IMHO lol
CA is responsible... but the selectors aren't. The selectors aren't responsible for the scheduling, which has seen Renshaw & Burns playing grade cricket for the last 2 months. The selectors can only work with the material available, and right now our batting stocks are completely bare. Dropping the Marsh brothers, and replacing them with Renshaw & Burns, is really just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patterson "... roared into form against Sri Lanka on Thursday with 157 not out before he followed up with 102 not out today.
In grade cricket last weekend, playing for St George against Western Suburbs, he hammered 167 not out off 147 balls. That came after he hit 107 in Perth in the second innings of the penultimate Shield match before the Big Bash break."
(https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...p/news-story/66ab65cd55feb86e75cdc0575f33eb21)
FOUR tons, close together. He's hungry for runs and converting starts, which the Aussie side needs badly.
Why can he not now be picked to play vs. Sri Lanka? Is the squad that was picked set in stone?
("Patterson’s 259 runs for the match without being dismissed far exceeds the combined 155 runs scored across eight innings by incumbent Test squad members Matt Renshaw (17), Joe Burns (26), Marnus Labuschagne (56) and Will Pucovski (56). "
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...atterson-into-test-squad-20190119-p50sem.html)

Last edited:
Its damning really, the guys in form.

But is he a good enough bloke??

Its damning really, the guys in form.

But is he a good enough bloke??
Are you trying to be funny? I hope so. The other alternative is CA to emphasise on ‘pleasant culture’ without the ‘mongrel mentality’ needed for a successful chain of wins.

As of now and barring none, Kurtis Patterson is our most in-form batsman. The fact he’s scoring consecutive centuries, whilst others have all flopped, tells you he has the right hunger/application for runs.

Do we want all nice guys in the team?
Or..
Do we want guys who have shown consistency with taking wickets, and getting centuries?

Are you trying to be funny? I hope so. The other alternative is CA to emphasise on ‘pleasant culture’ without the ‘mongrel mentality’ needed for a successful chain of wins.

As of now and barring none, Kurtis Patterson is our most in-form batsman. The fact he’s scoring consecutive centuries, whilst others have all flopped, tells you he has the right hunger/application for runs.

Do we want all nice guys in the team?
Or..
Do we want guys who have shown consistency with taking wickets, and getting centuries?
Yes I was joking, sort of. We now know character is important to selection which is fine..... IF that decent bloke is scoring runs.

Patterson should be playing in the Test this week, that's pretty clear.

Yes I was joking, sort of. We now know character is important to selection which is fine..... IF that decent bloke is scoring runs.

Patterson should be playing in the Test this week, that's pretty clear.
Are you claiming to be a mental profiler and can judge a good character when you see them play cricket? :)
I personally rather not dwell too much about their Id versus their Ego, and prefer to see them focus more on taking wickets and piling on the centuries.

Also if they did pick him, wouldn't people accuse them of panic?
Yes, some probably would, but they're un-pleasable. Somebody will always complain.
John Who, what Warner did in concocting a plan to cheat then bully Bancroft into it showed a serious failure of character and integrity. Smith's failure was more about leadership, but allowing (enabling) or turning a blind eye to ball-tampering is almost as bad. We won't know if Patterson is Warner incarnate until he's selected and we see how he behaves in the cauldron of Test Cricket. His behaviour in Shield and Club games must have been noticed somewhere, sometime, if he is a Warner-like bully.
At this point in time, Patterson would be one of my first selected.

Yes, some probably would, but they're un-pleasable. Somebody will always complain.
John Who, what Warner did in concocting a plan to cheat then bully Bancroft into it showed a serious failure of character and integrity. Smith's failure was more about leadership, but allowing (enabling) or turning a blind eye to ball-tampering is almost as bad. We won't know if Patterson is Warner incarnate until he's selected and we see how he behaves in the cauldron of Test Cricket. His behaviour in Shield and Club games must have been noticed somewhere, sometime, if he is a Warner-like bully.
I know we disagree over Warner - but I feel behaviour is only relevant when it starts to impact performance (either of the player himself, or teammates).

I probably rather a bad behaving Warner in a winning side, than good character blokes who can't make a run.

CB, I’m not in denial that some dodgy stuff didn’t happen last year, and that there isn’t a culture of cheating/bullying mentality even sometime before that. What I’m trying to say, is that when we’re dealing with penalties (criminal or sporting activities), there is often a chance for redemption unless the crime is in disrepair of public forgivings. It is not unanimous that a ball tampering/bullying incident(s) is a crime that befits no chance of redemption.

As a byproduct, if Warner/Smith can return and have changed their mannerisms, then not only Australia would benefit in overall performance with the batting, but cricket would also see a better spectacle, particularly the forthcoming World Cup/Ashes.

1) I know we disagree over Warner - but I feel behaviour is only relevant when it starts to impact performance (either of the player himself, or teammates).
2) I probably rather a bad behaving Warner in a winning side, than good character blokes who can't make a run.
1) Yes, we've disagreed about Warner, and that's ok :).
Here's why we disagree: Warner's bad behaviour has impacted performance for some time. He's had many run-ins with players who took offence to his offensive sledging and returned in kind, prompting him to cry foul/victim. His double-standards were nauseating. He could dish it out, and did in abundance --- but he couldn't take it. Instead of finding ways to improve his and his team's performance when getting beaten by superior opponents, he resorted to cheating and bullying the most junior player in the side to carry it out. He wants to cheat? OK, David, but at least have the guts to do it yourself. Pushing Bancroft was the act of a slimy, calculating coward. If you want to look at impact on players' performances, the team we have now is a batting rabble, rudderless and without concentration/application. Aussie cricket teams are getting beaten, thoroughly. Often.
Thanks, David.
2) Warner hadn't been behaving badly in a winning side for some time. He was just behaving badly, then resorted to cheating. I'll bet he still doesn't realise that when you're getting done by a better opponent, all you can do is say" Well done, too good" and then work hardhardhard on getting better. No, not Warner. His solution was to cheat.
As for "good character blokes who can't make a run", well, they shouldn't be selected in the first place.
I don't know what sort of bloke Patterson is, but he's making a lot of big scores.
I say give him a chance on the basis of that and if he turns out to be a Warner-clone and cannot play hard to win by ability without cheating, then piss him off, as they did with Warner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back