QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone is telling you porkies. That used to be the case, but last couple years they've thrown a bit around.

Max $60 matchies for the last couple of years. Most of the allocation of club funds has gone to subsidizing registration for the squad to encourage the transition of colts to senior football and keeping the rego as low as possible.

The womens side get more attention/funding than the QFA....

Exactly. the idea that a club thats been around 5 years can just easily move up a Division to play a much higher standard of footy, with 3 x 3 hour round trips against 3 powerhouse clubs is probably a little far fetched.

Getting a 2's side together with the prospect of a 3 hour trip to get pumped by 150 wouldn't be too appealing, and a club thats only 5 years old can't readily hit the phones of their extensive ex players to top them up in this situation.

Maybe they should have let them in div 1 as a seniors only prospect? Seems a shame to have a quality club in the fastest growing region in SEQ about to have a huge injection of council funds for a new facility drop down to a Friday night league. (I'm not saying this just because I now have to play against these blokes either!)

Really setting back footy in a huge growth area back several years here.

I heard Park Ridge put out olive branch to Yeronga to try and join forces to stay in Div 1. Apparently Committee at Yeronga knocked it on the head straight away. Didn't even take option to Coaching Staff or players?

And Yeronga now having an emergency meeting tonight as to whether they drop down from Div 2 to a one team Div 5 Friday night team?

If that happens AFLQ certainly looking a bit second hand, as they appear to be doing nothing to help these clubs. Eyes all on Women's Footy ATM.

I heard Park Ridge put out olive branch to Yeronga to try and join forces to stay in Div 1. Apparently Committee at Yeronga knocked it on the head straight away. Didn't even take option to Coaching Staff or players?

And Yeronga now having an emergency meeting tonight as to whether they drop down from Div 2 to a one team Div 5 Friday night team?

If that happens AFLQ certainly looking a bit second hand, as they appear to be doing nothing to help these clubs. Eyes all on Women's Footy ATM.
Most clubs struggle for numbers why should these clubs get special treatment ?

Most clubs struggle for numbers why should these clubs get special treatment ?
I agree why should there be special treatment there definitely wasn’t any for us a few years back when we were struggling to field a ressies side, not sure what some clubs do for recruitment but for us we had to build a lot of bridges, get some structures off field set up, get a number of people involved in recruiting not just 1 or 2 to do it, even get the players you do have to help they all have mates who could possibly play,utilise Social Media that is the key and most important is put together a coaching group that care about the playing roster. It can be definitely done with hard work

Max $60 matchies for the last couple of years. Most of the allocation of club funds has gone to subsidizing registration for the squad to encourage the transition of colts to senior football and keeping the rego as low as possible.

The womens side get more attention/funding than the QFA....

Yeah thats what i've been told too Barb.

Its very easy to blame headquarters - only thing that they can be accused of is registration fees costing player numbers - not sure they can be held responsible for recruiting guys to a footy club nor for having them leave. Easy cop out tbh. I'm not sure if the rego per team is fair or not but it cant ALL be heaped on AFLQ. My main criticism would be is that they dont appreciate that there is nothing wrong with a junior club remianing a junior club and that the number of senior clubs should be about a 2/3 of junior club numbers - let the senior clubs create relationships with these junior clubs to create the natural pathway of those who dont have a senior club.

I agree why should there be special treatment there definitely wasn’t any for us a few years back when we were struggling to field a ressies side, not sure what some clubs do for recruitment but for us we had to build a lot of bridges, get some structures off field set up, get a number of people involved in recruiting not just 1 or 2 to do it, even get the players you do have to help they all have mates who could possibly play,utilise Social Media that is the key and most important is put together a coaching group that care about the playing roster. It can be definitely done with hard work

I agree, we have one club who paid overs to win a flag and another who didn't concentrate on their primary teams, realising too late that all the flowery feel good accolades about catering for a third senior team or how off field development programmes mean squat when its all said and done. I think they will be playing each other this year in Div 4.

Its very easy to blame headquarters - only thing that they can be accused of is registration fees costing player numbers - not sure they can be held responsible for recruiting guys to a footy club nor for having them leave. Easy cop out tbh. I'm not sure if the rego per team is fair or not but it cant ALL be heaped on AFLQ. My main criticism would be is that they dont appreciate that there is nothing wrong with a junior club remianing a junior club and that the number of senior clubs should be about a 2/3 of junior club numbers - let the senior clubs create relationships with these junior clubs to create the natural pathway of those who dont have a senior club.

I wasn't blaming AFLQ for recruitment, I think there are not enough players to constitute 3 Divisions of seniors and ressies footy on top of QAFL competition.

Throw in extra Friday night teams and there just isn't enough players registered to go around.

AFLQ would have access to registration numbers and with general drop offs, retirements etc should be an easy calculation you would think.

Just reckon the ball has been dropped as lot of attention on growth seems to be in women's/girls footy from headquarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't blaming AFLQ for recruitment, I think there are not enough players to constitute 3 Divisions of seniors and ressies footy on top of QAFL competition.

Throw in extra Friday night teams and there just isn't enough players registered to go around.

AFLQ would have access to registration numbers and with general drop offs, retirements etc should be an easy calculation you would think.

Just reckon the ball has been dropped as lot of attention on growth seems to be in women's/girls footy from headquarters.
Yep you might be right still me. No doubt they are under pressure from the AFL to grow the game but I’m not sure you need to plant an acre of average crops when you can grow half of this with great produce.

Yes you boys are right on the money there.the fees are so high in a so called development state with so many other activities to choose from in the climate.i know at Noosa we offer a large discount for those that pay early and that actually works pretty well especially among the senior group.but for a bloke who’s happy to just play his mates in the twos,train once a week and generally have some fun to have to fork out 500 bucks for rego is ridiculous and a big reason why player depth number wise is so hard for many clubs.we also encourage our players to get sponsors and of course help them to find sponsors to relieve the rego expense.no where near as expensive as back in Victoria where I’m from but that I’m assuming is because there is only one Afl paid representative in the area.

Good point.

Unsure why each league needs a full-time employee running the competitions? Can't be that hard.

Running a club is a much bigger task, and its done by a handful of volunteers.

Good point.

Unsure why each league needs a full-time employee running the competitions? Can't be that hard.

Running a club is a much bigger task, and its done by a handful of volunteers.

When the competition was SQAFA many years ago I'm sure Noel Wallis did all the competitions by himself and the cost was around $3K per club no matter what competition.

Seems a lot more cooks in the kitchen now. If Div 1 is $25K + not sure where quarter of a million goes to run competition. Umpires obviously main cost but should still be plenty left over.

Obviously AFLQ get yearly budget monies from AFL. Just seems a lot of bodies at Headquarters.

On the recruiting front I hear the premiers have welcomed back Jed turner from Southport.Him and Simpson will be a great ruck combination.The old saying if you look after your good locals they’ll often come back

On the recruiting front I hear the premiers have welcomed back Jed turner from Southport.Him and Simpson will be a great ruck combination.The old saying if you look after your good locals they’ll often come back

Where did you hear that? Can't see it happening at all!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back