Toast Hoff

Remove this Banner Ad

Which seasons?

2008. 2009. 2010. 2011 2012. 2013 2015.

His set shot kicking was flakey too until the last couple of years, missing very gettable shots easily within range and angle.

We all remember what we want to remember about players. What I remember now, is a player, performing to his strengths, whether up forward or floating down back. He's marking is consistent, his set shot kicking alot more consistent, and tackling effort up to a high standard. If people believe he was doing this is whole career I politely disagree.

Westhoff has been elite since Ken came to the club and recognised that his greatest strength is his ability to get up and down the ground.

We drafted entire plays around that ability - who could forget the “W” sign players would make which meant “Westhoff back”?

The only thing stopping him from reaching 300+ games is his desire to play. He could play 400 if he wanted to.

Yes Hoff has benefited from Ken's approach, but until 2016, Ken still fell into the trap of naming him as the CHF as he is tall but playing him on the wing. He finally started naming someone else to play CHF as Hoff didn't really play there.

Under Hinkley Hoff's B&F finishes
2013 5th, 2014 4th, 2015 5th, 2016 10th, 2017 10th, 2018 1st

Under Choco and Primus top 10 finishes
2010 8th, 2011 6th, 2012 7th

2008. 2009. 2010. 2011 2012. 2013 2015.

His set shot kicking was flakey too until the last couple of years, missing very gettable shots easily within range and angle.

We all remember what we want to remember about players. What I remember now, is a player, performing to his strengths, whether up forward or floating down back. He's marking is consistent, his set shot kicking alot more consistent, and tackling effort up to a high standard. If people believe he was doing this is whole career I politely disagree.
Yeah but he has been pretty consistent the last few years, yet even last year you were calling for him to be dropped. Wanted him traded/delisted. You've been his most consistent critic. Even when everyone could see he was playing consistently well, you were on the anti-Westhoff path, only capable of back handed compliments. Sometimes you just need you just need to assess the evidence and admit you are wrong.

Fishing Rick you were wrong! (Apologies to Chocco).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes Hoff has benefited from Ken's approach, but until 2016, Ken still fell into the trap of naming him as the CHF as he is tall but playing him on the wing. He finally started naming someone else to play CHF as Hoff didn't really play there.

That is a good point about the CHF wing, part of my complaint was he was throwing our structures out and if he's named forward play forward. However it's not his fault if he's being asked to fill in somewhere else also.

Yeah but he has been pretty consistent the last few years, yet even last year you were calling for him to be dropped. Wanted him traded/delisted. You've been his most consistent critic. Even when everyone could see he was playing consistently well, you were on the anti-Westhoff path, only capable of back handed compliments. Sometimes you just need you just need to assess the evidence and admit you are wrong.

Fishing Rick you were wrong! (Apologies to Chocco).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm pretty confident I didn't want him dropped last year and I recognised his improved his performance, feel free to find a post where I wanted him dropped last year? If anything I would of been complaining to play him as a forward or defender not a floater.

Big day for Ceeeeentraaaals - Shannon Hurn also playing his 250th this week. Have they had anyone drafted since these two?
Ashley Browne from SEN and AFL Record said both Hurn and Hoff play 250 this week and grew up within 10km of each other. Said the Record will have a story on them both this weekend.

Ken doesn't put players into their positions on the team sheet you know. He just tells the AFL and the club who is playing, and someone else decides where they think players are going to line up.

Ken doesn't put players into their positions on the team sheet you know. He just tells the AFL and the club who is playing, and someone else decides where they think players are going to line up.
Its a combo of being named there on the team sheet, not playing enough tall forwards, actually playing/starting there in the 1st quarter but not spending the majority of game there, that fans judged him as not producing enough as well as seen as just getting lots of cheap possessions as the +1 in defence.

Sometimes perception becomes reality - even though its not.

I'm pretty confident I didn't want him dropped last year and I recognised his improved his performance, feel free to find a post where I wanted him dropped last year? If anything I would of been complaining to play him as a forward or defender not a floater.

Can't quote it for some reason but in the Player list management thread 2019. (post #8,275) "The Hoff can go" in response to someone worried about him re-signing. Suggests to me you wanted him out of the club.

Same thread

I threw it out there for all the Rick fans thinking I'm a Hoff hater

Seriously, it wouldn't bother me, even though he's coming off a career best season. The only disappointment for me is more senior names aren't being thrown around. If we are serious, we should be putting everyone up and see what comes of it. Shake the tree hard, only the strong hold on.

Our last 11 years is unacceptable, from board level, to coaching to playing. This has a Hawthorn 04 feel too it

I can quote here

Who makes way for him? Marshall, Watts, Dixon, Hoff?

Pretty sure if I went through the podcasts you were questioning his place in the side in the early part of the season.

You have a ridiculous dislike of the Hoff, He had a few quite years when we were crap, and his form was sporadic. But the last 5 or so years, he has been really good. He is one of the most versatile players in the comp, you see his versatility as a weakness, but it's his great strength.

His body language in his earlier days gave the impression that he was a bit laconic/lazy, but when you look at things like distance run in games, he is nearly always up near the top. Which suggests his actual workrate was pretty good, it's just a perception thing.

People remember things like the awful shot against GC, and just can't let it go. Sometimes, you have to re-evaluate players when new evidence comes to light. I've been wrong on many players before - the difference is when I don't have a fixed perspective, when I see a player perform I adjust. I probably would have dropped Houston after his first season, but I was wrong. I had more time for Big Matty T than most, but I was wrong.

hoff_Back_1024x1024@2x.jpg

FwGuS5_T

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't quote it for some reason but in the Player list management thread 2019. (post #8,275) "The Hoff can go" in response to someone worried about him re-signing. Suggests to me you wanted him out of the club.

Same thread

Seriously, it wouldn't bother me, even though he's coming off a career best season. The only disappointment for me is more senior names aren't being thrown around. If we are serious, we should be putting everyone up and see what comes of it. Shake the tree hard, only the strong hold on.

Our last 11 years is unacceptable, from board level, to coaching to playing. This has a Hawthorn 04 feel too it

I can quote here

Pretty sure if I went through the podcasts you were questioning his place in the side in the early part of the season.

You have a ridiculous dislike of the Hoff, He had a few quite years when we were crap, and his form was sporadic. But the last 5 or so years, he has been really good. He is one of the most versatile players in the comp, you see his versatility as a weakness, but it's his great strength.

His body language in his earlier days gave the impression that he was a bit laconic/lazy, but when you look at things like distance run in games, he is nearly always up near the top. Which suggests his actual workrate was pretty good, it's just a perception thing.

People remember things like the awful shot against GC, and just can't let it go. Sometimes, you have to re-evaluate players when new evidence comes to light. I've been wrong on many players before - the difference is when I don't have a fixed perspective, when I see a player perform I adjust. I probably would have dropped Houston after his first season, but I was wrong. I had more time for Big Matty T than most, but I was wrong.

Well we sucked bad and clearly this was a shot at any older player on our list. I really didn’t care

I played against his old man when he would have probably been in his 40s so you could be onto something.

Rowdy was a great player.

Same thread

I can quote here

Your sentiments to him almost mirror mine.

Westhoff has been elite since Ken came to the club and recognised that his greatest strength is his ability to get up and down the ground.

We drafted entire plays around that ability - who could forget the “W” sign players would make which meant “Westhoff back”?

The only thing stopping him from reaching 300+ games is his desire to play. He could play 400 if he wanted to.
Yep I agree! Westhoff was very much an enigma before Ken unleashed the Hoff! So brilliant at times, hellishly frustrating at others.

Over the last six years, he has become the complete player! Just love the guy!

Ps, I done mean to pump Ken's tyres too much by saying this. He has used Westy badly at times. Not The Hoff's fault though!

So he's finished top 10 in the B&F every year this decade.

I wonder how many players across the league would've done that?

So he's finished top 10 in the B&F every year this decade.

I wonder how many players across the league would've done that?
GAblet can't only played 6 games in 2015 and didn't make top 10 last year at Geelong.

Franklin can't he missed Sydney's top 10 in 2015.

At half time of the u/23 game against the crows a few weeks ago I went over to the brickworks to get something to eat. There I saw Justin sitting at a table outside with Jack’s Trengove and Watts plus someone else. The someone else (whose face I couldn’t see, may have been TJ) was wearing one of these.

He is so on top of his game in recent years, no nonsense, ever reliable, big bodied, match winning champion under rated by many here. Every club would love a Westhoff. Lucky to have him

Last edited:
At half time of the u/23 game against the crows a few weeks ago I went over to the brickworks to get something to eat. There I saw Justin sitting at a table outside with Jack’s Trengove and Watts plus someone else. The someone else (whose face I couldn’t see, may have been TJ) was wearing one of these.
Clurey.

Could it have been Kane?

833654E0-9CFB-43CF-AFB9-043408DEB691.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back