List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The easiest part of the rebuild is the first 18 months. You basically get rid of the low hanging fruit - incompetent coaches and administrators and delist a bunch of spuds and washed up players. It's a free hit for the new coach, while the players enjoy the low expectations.

Tougher decisions need to be made as you start to climb the ladder.

Yup, and the kids are motivated and have a point to prove at this point as well.

it certainly gets tougher from here, even if we don't climb the ladder. After all, you have to manage a club, and keep everyone believing and willing to work hard even though it's a slog.

Last edited:
Lol why does Adelaides rebuild suddenly look better than ours one season in? Your senior players are still earning their spots in the side, you have a wealth of picks that you can package up and upgrade in the draft or use to bid on NGA/FS prospects as well as a Top 5 draft pick and another pick just outside round 1.. This is what a good organisation looks like. Really think, regardless of wins this year - that your club is doing all the right things to move this Football team forward.
Funny you should mention this as I was literally comparing the two today. Both are nearly at opposite ends of things. Carlton have been applauded for attracting high profile names to the club while Adelaide have been criticised for a player exudes. Adelaide are at the start of a rebuild while Carlton should be towards the ladder end of a rebuild, and yet there’s 7 percent separating them.

Having said that it’s way too soon to say this rebuild is a success

Lol why does Adelaides rebuild suddenly look better than ours one season in? Your senior players are still earning their spots in the side, you have a wealth of picks that you can package up and upgrade in the draft or use to bid on NGA/FS prospects as well as a Top 5 draft pick and another pick just outside round 1.. This is what a good organisation looks like. Really think, regardless of wins this year - that your club is doing all the right things to move this Football team forward.

On the way home this evening I heard a snippet about Carlton doing an external review but being heavily criticised for only looking at the football department and not including the board like what happened at Richmond and Collingwood. My first thought was that we weren’t so different, as our board had also managed to avoid scrutiny despite years of poor decisions. While some of our coaching changes and onfield performances have been positive, I'm yet to be convinced that as a organisation we've really improved. At the very least we haven't done anything terrible yet, but that's a low pass mark.

Funny you should mention this as I was literally comparing the two today. Both are nearly at opposite ends of things. Carlton have been applauded for attracting high profile names to the club while Adelaide have been criticised for a player exudes. Adelaide are at the start of a rebuild while Carlton should be towards the ladder end of a rebuild, and yet there’s 7 percent separating them.

Having said that it’s way too soon to say this rebuild is a success

What the hell are the players exuding? Any pictures? :)

I like this, though I don't think Binuk would like a trade of 22 and 23 for 14 (say); this is a big points overpay by us.

I wouldn't mind talking to Richmond about doing a Stacker Trade - one of their 2021 1sts for a first round pick swap next year.

Re the proposed 22 and 23 for 14 trade - it would no doubt also include a late pick (let’s say 45-50) coming back our way. When the drop off in this draft after the top 15 or so, combined with the fact that it’s likely that a bid for one or both of our NGAs comes after pick 35, I like this trade.

Re the proposed 22 and 23 for 14 trade - it would no doubt also include a late pick (let’s say 45-50) coming back our way. When the drop off in this draft after the top 15 or so, combined with the fact that it’s likely that a bid for one or both of our NGAs comes after pick 35, I like this trade.
I think an overpay is an overpay - though that's not so bad.

I think the draft will go through to pick 25, but you should trade out picks in the 30s for later points.

Very strong top 10-15, very weak after the first round is the vibe I believe.

Can change a lot with late season form though.
Going to be pretty hard to place all these boys with champs late this year - September I think.

U18 Comp here hard to Assess with so many talented boys out of the system and in school footy. Vic boys comp also been redone this year with less games and boys going in and out of school games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather your list. Walsh, Cripps, Weitering, McKay, C. Curnow (if he can get fit). Thats a group of 5 that can get you places. Carlton's problem is they get judasses from other clubs with no moral fibre, backbone or team spirit to come in to take them to the next step.

Your list management has been appalling. What do you expect going out of your way to get McGovern!

I would have a solid "no trade ins" rule for the next 3 and concentrate on recruiting and developing what you got. Adam Saad and Zac Williams aren't going to get you anywhere.

Hugh Jackson

Jees, he looked quick and smooth out of stoppage. Seemed to be able to read the ball a split second faster then his opponent and then burst both forward, and laterally depending on where the space was.

Also just based off that footage his kicks seem to go to very dangerous positions for the opposition defenders, give his player a more the 50% chance of winning it (Not just a bang long and hope). I wonder if he was just having a good day, or whether that's a feature of his game.

Regardless, interest very much piqued!

Last edited:
Jees, he looked quick and smooth out of stoppage. Seemed to be able to read the ball a split second faster then his opponent and then burst both forward, and laterally depending on where the space was.

Also just based off that footage his kicks seem to go to very dangerous positions for the opposition defenders, give his player a more the 50% chance of winning it (Not just a bang long and hope). I wonder if he was just having a good day, or whether that's a feature of his game.

Regardless, interest very much piqued!
I think the main problem for our SA U19 Champs midfield is that there won’t be enough footy’s to go round.

I think the main problem for our SA U19 Champs midfield is that there won’t be enough footy’s to go round.
If their true aim is getting as many SA youngsters drafted as possible exposure should be paramount ahead of winning games at the Nationals.

That would mean giving similar opportunities to ALL the better midfield prospects not just Horne and Roberts etc.

If their true aim is getting as many SA youngsters drafted as possible exposure should be paramount ahead of winning games at the Nationals.

That would mean giving similar opportunities to ALL the better midfield prospects not just Horne and Roberts etc.
Absolutely agree with you, I’d like to see as many as possible get a run. I’m sorry That was just an old time footy phrasewe used to say when there were a lot of good players in the side - not enough footys for them all - And there are a lot this year.

Horne, Roberts, Draper, Murley, Jackson, Dudley, Rayson, Stagg, Linke - probably more I haven’t thought of.

Should be a strong side

Carlton would have been better off giving the Williams money to Brad Crouch, he is what they needed, or accepting Jarryd Lyons when we offered him in the Gibbs trade.

They've made some terrible list management decisions over the the last 20 years and their development skills are just as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back