QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah great get by Grange! Will surely be a serious contender if best team on the paddock!
Obviously the salary cap is out the window as I know at least 3 clubs that spoke to Matho and he was hard set on a number just short of the entire salary cap and had no interest in anything other than the cash.

Good luck to Grange as I think it’s also great for competition. But the financially struggling clubs are even more under pressure in 2024 than they have been for years.

The points now become main factor especially for clubs with not strong junior programs.

Next few years will be very interesting to see who is competitive and survives.

Obviously the salary cap is out the window as I know at least 3 clubs that spoke to Matho and he was hard set on a number just short of the entire salary cap and had no interest in anything other than the cash.

Good luck to Grange as I think it’s also great for competition. But the financially struggling clubs are even more under pressure in 2024 than they have been for years.

The points now become main factor especially for clubs with not strong junior programs.

Next few years will be very interesting to see who is competitive and survives.

I don't think anyone is financially struggling.

There are rules that govern what you can spend, all the clubs have acknowledged they can afford to spend that.

If someone spends more than that, it doesn't mean another club is struggling, they are just playing by the rules.

Up to AFLQ to police this.

I don't think anyone is financially struggling.

There are rules that govern what you can spend, all the clubs have acknowledged they can afford to spend that.

If someone spends more than that, it doesn't mean another club is struggling, they are just playing by the rules.

Up to AFLQ to police this.
Do you honestly think Thommo that AFLQ have the expertise and resources to do this mate?

I think that it is just beyond most competitions all around the country trying to control it. The points system is really the only way to put clamps on clubs with huge spending capabilities.

I know clubs get investigated but not sure how well equipped the investigators are to go to depths required.

Do you honestly think Thommo that AFLQ have the expertise and resources to do this mate?

I think that it is just beyond most competitions all around the country trying to control it. The points system is really the only way to put clamps on clubs with huge spending capabilities.

I know clubs get investigated but not sure how well equipped the investigators are to go to depths required.

I'm not suggesting anyone is cheating.

I'm just saying nobody is struggling. If someone were cheating, the pressure is on another clubs morals, not their finances.

You love lobbing grenades at other clubs 🤣🤣🤣

Salary cap needs to be there even though it’s far too hard to police.Mathieson was asking around the 60k mark initially but I have no idea what he is being paid nor should I.A lot of things have to go right still for Grange to win this thing,not to mention the two Grand Finalists and all the Gold Coast teams who seem to have recruited really strongly also.Makes for a great comp!Grange have been pretty patient,set their sights on a 5 year plan which they have stuck too,adding quality each year which should be admired.The Boston,Payne and Eagles experiments didn’t bring team success and losing Martin to the VFL hurts! Gee they are having one hell of a go though and good luck to them!

Salary cap needs to be there even though it’s far too hard to police.Mathieson was asking around the 60k mark initially but I have no idea what he is being paid nor should I.A lot of things have to go right still for Grange to win this thing,not to mention the two Grand Finalists and all the Gold Coast teams who seem to have recruited really strongly also.Makes for a great comp!Grange have been pretty patient,set their sights on a 5 year plan which they have stuck too,adding quality each year which should be admired.The Boston,Payne and Eagles experiments didn’t bring team success and losing Martin to the VFL hurts! Gee they are having one hell of a go though and good luck to them!
Noosaboy,
isnt the salary cap only 60k ,,or is it 80k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how do Grange manage to pay Mathiesons big bucks and the new quality recruits, let alone the current members of the 2023 finals side ?
Was told other attractions came into play such as mates with Granges VFL Lions players, living locally, the coaches ambition to succeed and play at a higher level and attachment to Granges junior program. Not just the money. Let's hope it works as they have been proactive recruitment wise.

Theres always "other" attractions. Depends on the person and future aspirations.

The salary cap should be scrapped when a points system is in place.
Salary cap is impossible to police and clubs are cheating themselves if the ain’t spending what it takes to be successful .
Plus clubs shouldn’t be penalised for being successfully ran and very financial to make it fairer for the poorly ran clubs .
Clubs have missed out on obtaining AFL players due to its miserable salary cap not because of a lack of appeal.
The QAFL would be a lot better standard with no salary cap and have more X AFL players involved , another example of how backward QLD footy is , minor comps in Vic have double the salary cap than the QAFL whom are supposedly a State Comp which is embarrassing.

Was told other attractions came into play such as mates with Granges VFL Lions players, living locally, the coaches ambition to succeed and play at a higher level and attachment to Granges junior program. Not just the money. Let's hope it works as they have been proactive recruitment wise.

Every club says that when they’ve paid well overs for a player to justify its spending.
Fit n firing he’ll get 40 touches without breaking a sweat

Magpie boy,,, I understand all the issues yoive commented on ,, but you have not provided a answer as to how do Grange pay this guy the big bucks , recruit some other good players, have a good list there from 2023 ,, and pay everytone of these players .. please tell me how with a 75 k salary cap

Magpie boy,,, I understand all the issues yoive commented on ,, but you have not provided a answer as to how do Grange pay this guy the big bucks , recruit some other good players, have a good list there from 2023 ,, and pay everytone of these players .. please tell me how with a 75 k salary cap
Being a Broady man you should know exactly how it’s done Stuyd considering you guys very recently had an ex-AFL player on “junior development” payment off the player payments.

Actual Player payments go on the contract but as you well know clubs have arranged things like jobs with coaches/presidents/sponsors for players, all the off the club books stuff which is completely within the rules (or not covered by the rules if you prefer to call it) provided that off club financial stuff is a commercial transaction and not paid from the club bank accounts.

This thread has had the same discussions many times, so ncluding recently regards cars for players from sponsors.

Without any of inside info I dare say Grange have done something of this type with Rhys.

I wish him well and hope he plays somewhere near his best. I think it’s great that a player of his profile is playing in QAFL.

Being a Broady man you should know exactly how it’s done Stuyd considering you guys very recently had an ex-AFL player on “junior development” payment off the player payments.

Actual Player payments go on the contract but as you well know clubs have arranged things like jobs with coaches/presidents/sponsors for players, all the off the club books stuff which is completely within the rules (or not covered by the rules if you prefer to call it) provided that off club financial stuff is a commercial transaction and not paid from the club bank accounts.

This thread has had the same discussions many times, so ncluding recently regards cars for players from sponsors.

Without any of inside info I dare say Grange have done something of this type with Rhys.

I wish him well and hope he plays somewhere near his best. I think it’s great that a player of his profile is playing in QAFL.
Lagging Behind,
absolutely are aware of all the items youve mentioned. My comments are going off reports that Mathieson made it loud and clear he wanted cash/ player payments only... No less then 60k were the reports.

You love lobbing grenades at other clubs 🤣🤣🤣
What was the grenade Akers? Really just saying what everyone is thinking but don’t want to say it. I said good luck to Grange but honestly the salary cap is not really working when everyone is trying to get around it.

The points are the greatest leverage that all competitions have to keep the playing field level so really in my opinion they should scrap the salary caps as you can only have certain amount of high point/ high cost players.

Our problem is that we had clubs come back into competition from stronger competitions with varying concessions that has put a few clubs in strong positions currently. That will eventually level out then the points should be the major governance of our competition.

Lagging Behind,
absolutely are aware of all the items youve mentioned. My comments are going off reports that Mathieson made it loud and clear he wanted cash/ player payments only... No less then 60k were the reports.
Matho had stated towards the end of last year if he couldn't continue with footy as a career, he'd be keen on joining the police or perhaps the military. Perhaps with no clubs able to satisfy his original demands, he's accepted less and moving on with that next phase of his life.

Asked the same question - didn't get an answer- don't think he knew.

Is it still the case that a senior player can be listed as a playing coach with only half salary attributed to the actual salary cap? This could be the case for many new ex-afl recruits.

Is it still the case that a senior player can be listed as a playing coach with only half salary attributed to the actual salary cap? This could be the case for many new ex-afl recruits.
Correct,, I dont know the policies 100% ,, but in Mathos case ,, this is not hapening ( or so its reported that way ) ,, so how the hell do the Grange afford this ,,, the reports just cannot be correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Back