Bancroft overlooked

Remove this Banner Ad

our domestic competition has good bowling talent. the wickets generally do a bit as well so scoring isn't as easy as it is on some international wickets.

That’s generous on the wickets don’t Victoria play at Junction Oval for starters? Wickets need to be more juiced domestically for mine.

That’s generous on the wickets don’t Victoria play at Junction Oval for starters? Wickets need to be more juiced domestically for mine.
domestic wickets traditionally do a lot more than test wickets for bowlers. I would suggest by design because of the length of the match.

domestic wickets traditionally do a lot more than test wickets for bowlers. I would suggest by design because of the length of the match.

They don’t do nearly enough. A lot of these good records have roads like the Junction to thank (it’s not the only one)

I get the argument on both sides for Bancroft and for Smith to Open and Green to included.

Reality is though Green is now under pressure to convert to runs. He has been a very mediocre bat over 24 tests he has played but cleary has had glimpses of brilliance.

green needs to take control of this chance and make it count if its given.

Correct weight. Much more juicier than the pitches produced for 5 days, with which Australia is usually well ahead by the time the tricky Days 4 and 5 roll around anyway.
They don’t do nearly enough. A lot of these good records have roads like the Junction to thank (it’s not the only one)
Work spoken from the mouth of a man twerking for the T20 hit n giggle snoozefest.

Bancroft for all the great Shield scores hasn't helped himself at the next level. He was horrific in England leading into the Ashes, poor in the A tour, and out the same way people had queries on against Pakistan before the first test. Nothing has told me he'd be anything more than a 30 to 32 average test bat.

Far be it for an Aussie batter to struggle, get dropped and then go back and make a heap of shield runs and get their way back in the side

That would be highly unusual …

Far be it for an Aussie batter to struggle, get dropped and then go back and make a heap of shield runs and get their way back in the side

That would be highly unusual …

Green is a much better talent though and I’m taking the better bat over the pure opener every time

“He is that good a player. It might be that challenge he’s looking for,” Clarke said on ESPN’s Around the Wicket Podcast.

“If he opens, he will be the best opener within 12 months. Don’t be surprised if he breaks Brian Lara’s 400 record because he’s that good and now he’s got the whole day.

Green is a much better talent though and I’m taking the better bat over the pure opener every time

doesn't matter now, decision has been made, but we should all agree that Green now needs to deliver runs. He will be under immense pressure to deliver now.

• Stiff on Bancroft due to his Shield form so he can now join the Stuart Law club etc
  • He also shouldn't have thrown the bowlers publicly under the bus
  • Bancroft being 31 doesn't help, I can see why the selectors would want to give more time to youth like Green as he is the future as Marnus was the youngest in the last test and this would be an easy series to ease into new positions
  • Good marketing as no one was going to watch the WI tests but some will now to see how Smith goes opening the batting

• Stiff on Bancroft due to his Shield form so he can now join the Stuart Law club etc
  • He also shouldn't have thrown the bowlers publicly under the bus
  • Bancroft being 31 doesn't help, I can see why the selectors would want to give more time to youth like Green as he is the future as Marnus was the youngest in the last test and this would be an easy series to ease into new positions
  • Good marketing as no one was going to watch the WI tests but some will now to see how Smith goes opening the batting
Stuart Law made 27,000 FC runs at an average of more than 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doesn't matter now, decision has been made, but we should all agree that Green now needs to deliver runs. He will be under immense pressure to deliver now.

Only pressure will be externally. As soon as they have made the call he’ll be given time.

Only pressure will be externally. As soon as they have made the call he’ll be given time.

Seriously doubt that it will only be external.

Green has 24 tests under his belt. More than double the amount Bancroft has. He has had enough of a bite of the cherry to confirm if he's up to test cricket or not.

Green needs to seize the moment. If he doesn't score he won't last long.

Seriously doubt that it will only be external.

Green has 24 tests under his belt. More than double the amount Bancroft has. He has had enough of a bite of the cherry to confirm if he's up to test cricket or not.

Green needs to seize the moment. If he doesn't score he won't last long.

He’s been given a grand total of about 2 in his natural position and that’s if you count no5 as natural. He is a top order bat. Has similar stats to Stokes at the same time. Finally gets a chance in the top 4.

He’s been given a grand total of about 2 in his natural position and that’s if you count no5 as natural. He is a top order bat. Has similar stats to Stokes at the same time. Finally gets a chance in the top 4.

Like I said, he needs to seize his moment now and plant his flag.

Like I said, he needs to seize his moment now and plant his flag.

And he’ll get a bunch of tests there’s no pressure on him. Won’t get a better chance against the Windies and a few other easier sides leading into next summer. Expect Green to be in the ODI side soon too in that top order

Law had a golden generation ahead of him unfortunately

Would have held down a middle order spot for the best part of a decade either side

Lot of cricketers in similar positions

Hodge, macgill, Love, Siddons,

Unreal how much people are losing their s**t over the non selection of a journeyman that has averaged 50 for a season and a half.

Get Beau Webster into the test team. Domestic record this year derp derp.

It has never been the only factor when choosing a test player. Gut feel of the selectors comes into it. If you can guarantee a genuine opener is going to average 43 plus I'm all ears, but none of Bancroft/Harris/Renshaw are so they are taking the gamble on the better bat which is clearly Green.
Shield stats would be a small factor imo and always have been. If they were the main factor the national selection panel's only real purpose would be to decide between who's already in the team and the highest averaging player in the shield.

It's their job to watch players and make a judgement on the game of players both in the test and in the shield. I doubt the selectors give a **** about stats tbh.

Good players often have good stats but shield stats only provide an indication of a players ability to perform at the next level. The younger player averaging less might be a better player than a player with obvious technical flaws for example.

I only have issue with the selectors not picking Bancroft if they pick Renshaw or Harris instead tbh.

“He is that good a player. It might be that challenge he’s looking for,” Clarke said on ESPN’s Around the Wicket Podcast.

“If he opens, he will be the best opener within 12 months. Don’t be surprised if he breaks Brian Lara’s 400 record because he’s that good and now he’s got the whole day.
yeah, get your hand off it, Clarke :drunk:o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back