Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon I'm the outlier here. It obviously depends on just how bad the accusation is, and whether the senior people at the club have had a gutful. If these aren't too extreme, I'd like to offer Tarryn one last chance at redemption, by offering a one year contract at minimum wage after he concludes his suspension. It would be an AFL lifeline and absolutely one last chance at a redemption arc for him.
100%

Let the club decide what to do with the guy, instead of the AFL coming over the top and playing judge, jury and executioner.

I have no issue with the club axing him, but let them make that call.

Feels like some of you might be missing the key take away here;

If Laura Kane, the AFL's Executive General Manager of Football who would absolutely be included in all the deliberations and be fully aware of the accusations, says "we don’t stand for that behaviour in this industry", it's very, very serious.

If this process does not deal with the issue at all, he may very well continue offending, but he won’t be doing it from a position of privilege and influence, because his footy career will be dead.
Are you naive enough to think that he isn’t on an AFL list next year unless the AFL deregisters him?

He will be on a list next year, there is nothing surer.

The devil is in the detail here. When were the texts sent? If he has acted in this manner after his re-education, he's cooked & rightly so. However, I'm reticent to burn him on publicly available evidence at the moment.

Are you naive enough to think that he isn’t on an AFL list next year unless the AFL deregisters him?

He will be on a list next year, there is nothing surer.
If he keeps threatening women over social media, his career will be dead, if it isn’t already.

If he doesn’t keep threatening women, then there will have been a positive outcome from this process and I suggest the victim’s approach will have been vindicated.

He'd abuse them again and if she s him over he'll do it to her too. What a contrite and classy fella, truly learned his lessons about respect, relationships, AND SENDING ****** TEXT MESSAGES. Actually laughed.

I'm assuming the paper isn't running with messages that could have been faked, so let the AFL make an example of him if they think it's watertight.

Unless there is some utterly astounding context in the messages before those ones, then I don't want to see him in our colors again.
Just plain disappointing assuming all is true.

Abuse is abuse and that crap needs to be driven out. I hope the victim/s get all the support they need.

I hate that the club has been put into this position yet again.

Feels like some of you might be missing the key take away here;

If Laura Kane, the AFL's Executive General Manager of Football who would absolutely be included in all the deliberations and be fully aware of the accusations, says "we don’t stand for that behaviour in this industry", it's very, very serious.
We were also told last year that Clarko was a white supremisist that went around killing unborn children.

There are two sides to every story and if it is proven without a doubt that Thomas has been carrying out acts of violence towards women then * the bloke off. But at the moment you have one persons side of the story and some text messages.

The AFL would want to be very certain that they have all the facts correct.

Yeah. For how long? I wouldn't touch him with a 6 foot pole. The guy is a menace.
That wasn’t the point. The point was made that this is not removing privilege, which won’t happen unless the AFL kicks him out of the comp.

It’s pretty much take an 18 week holiday at the expense of North Melbourne and we will see you next year.

If that’s going to happen I want the club making that call and not the AFL.

Just plain disappointing assuming all is true.

Abuse is abuse and that crap needs to be driven out. I hope the victim/s get all the support they need.

I hate that the club has been put into this position yet again.
Totally. Selfishly speaking, it would be nice if the club got some clear air for a change. The last few years have been grueling for the supporter base, not to mention the club ☹️

Totally. Selfishly speaking, it would be nice if the club got some clear air for a change. The last few years have been grueling for the supporter base, not to mention the club ☹️
It would be nice for the AFL to let the club handle its own backyard when it comes to player indiscretions, just like they let other clubs do.

The fact they they chose not to deal with other instances of players misbehaving and let the respective clubs make the calls, but now feel compelled to step in reeks of double standards.

I’m not defending the player here, I am criticising the process and lack of consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to give it to Morris of all journos
Ironic yes but it’s not really surprising there’s been a concerted effort to rehabilitate Morris to the football public, during last year‘s trade & draft period all the breaking stories were by Cal Twomey (AFL Golden Child) and Tom Morris.

That wasn’t the point. The point was made that this is not removing privilege, which won’t happen unless the AFL kicks him out of the comp.

It’s pretty much take an 18 week holiday at the expense of North Melbourne and we will see you next year.

If that’s going to happen I want the club making that call and not the AFL.
I am pretty sure that the club will make their own call after THE AFL hands out their punishment. He was on his last warning before this episode

It would be nice for the AFL to let the club handle its own backyard when it comes to player indiscretions, just like they let other clubs do.

The fact they they chose not to deal with other instances of players misbehaving amd let the clubs make the calls, but now feel compelled to step in reeks of double standards.
Optics and the choice for implementing action vs inaction is a fairly rubbery subject and open to interpretation. That interpretation is obviously up to the current governing administration. You could argue hypocrisy from the AFL,when it comes to breaches of the Respect and Responsibility Policy. Particularly the stated clause, "bringing the game into disrepute" in this instance. How/why are previous indiscretions seemingly ignored? But that's a different argument entirely. Having said that, in regards to the current situation, precedent once set should see that ambiguity removed., hopefully.

Having said that, in regards to the current situation, precedent once set should see that ambiguity removed., hopefully.
This is the same organisation that can’t even apply any consistency to any decision it makes, so not bloody likely.

It’s like the Free Agency compo, the AFL has a secret criteria they don’t disclose and in the case of these situations, it’s the impact to their revenue.

Big clubs it’s about keeping the fans happy and the smaller clubs it’s about pretending to give a s**t and projecting false integrity.

The fact they they chose not to deal with other instances of players misbehaving and let the respective clubs make the calls, but now feel compelled to step in reeks of double standards.

I’m not defending the player here, I am criticising the process and lack of consistency.
it would appear that time has passed.

The leaked texts were that he would continue to abuse the women he had previously abused and that if anyone ****ed with him, he would * with them.

Reads like a wannabe gangster w***er that is trying to make out he is a bigshot.

Now there is no denying the bloke is a dickhead and douchebag and it’s probably best to cut ties with him.

But there is no need for the AFL to step in here, the club is more than capable of getting rid of a bad egg.

For me the critical piece to the whole saga is, was this behaviour present through their whole relationship or was it part of a messy breakup? Is this someone showing consistent abuse or someone that can’t handle a breakup and lashes out with stupid texts?

A quote like that doesn’t come out of nowhere. Think about it. What sort of conversation would have him reply with something like that?

We were also told last year that Clarko was a white supremisist that went around killing unborn children.

Not by anyone credible. You're conflating two things poorly here.

A quote like that doesn’t come out of nowhere. Think about it. What sort of conversation would have him reply with something like that?
Something like a friend telling him that his ex is out to get him and ruin his career?

The messages can’t be to her, because they speak like he is talking to someone about other individuals.

Highly likely he has sent them to a mutual friend that has forwarded them to her and she has taken it to the AFL.

The one thing that we can all be clear on is that TT is a DH with some major character flaws and is someone who has a vacuum between his ears where his brain should be.

The leaked text message is quite damning in isolation, but I'm still not clear on the extent of his sins without some context related to that particular text. Was it part of an angry back and forth exchange of texts between TT and the complainant? If it was we'd need to see the full exchange to be able to pass fair judgement. He might have been baited, which wouldn't excuse him, but it would provide for mitigating circumstances.

I'm also not clear on when that text message was sent. If it was prior to his previous punishment and education programme then the AFL needs to factor in that he hasn't reoffended and he already missed the first 11 rounds last year. If it was after the education programme, then TT has a major problem because it would seem that he has made little to no progress in his attitude towards women.

The punishment needs to be commensurate with the crime and that is not something we'll ever get universal agreement on. I don't believe that TT has brought the AFL in disrepute because without the publicity surrounding their investigation no one would be any the wiser and alarmed about what an AFL player got up to in their private lives. The reputation of the AFL won't be damaged because TT is a nasty DH who has trouble controlling his emotions and texts. There are plenty of others still running around without being held to account. For instance I consider the Marlon Pickett and Joel Smith stories far more damaging to the AFL brand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back