Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe the bigger picture is they still see Ross as a contributing part of the midfield group, both in what he can do with his football and what he can do to help the younger players develop, and they aren't in a rush to retire him off like the fans seem to be.
Never been a great Seb fan but I agree with the above. I want eventually to see the likes of Phillipou, Wilson, Windy etc to go past Seb and Crouch, but not while Ross is still a capable first 22.
If will be in the seniors early but leadership doesn't guarantee a start automatically.

He gets dropped for example, wouldn't that be when his leadership qualities show?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carlton will be an interesting watch…already missing JSOS for the year plus Weitering & Walsh early…they wouldn’t want to lose any other star’s!!
Not sure Walsh is out? Haven't heard that.

I still think their weakness is small and medium forwards. They're very reliant on the big guys. But their side looks very strong, think they'll be top four.

EDIT just read Walsh on a modified program, definitely a big loss for them

Last edited:

Not sure Walsh is out? Haven't heard that.

I still think their weakness is small and medium forwards. They're very reliant on the big guys. But their side looks very strong, think they'll be top four.
If they took away the protected zone around Curnow, Carlton would be bog average.

Unfortunately if you’re in the leadership group you’ll be pretty much guaranteed a senior spot..that’s my point, nothing against Ross, he’s been a good servant of the club but I’m looking at the bigger picture, particularly with our midfield set up which hasn’t been good enough!!

Maybe the bigger picture is they still see Ross as a contributing part of the midfield group, both in what he can do with his football and what he can do to help the younger players develop, and they aren't in a rush to retire him off like the fans seem to be.

Seb certainly has to be part of the leadership group. Very rarely dropped, plays his role consistently and is one of our better onfield leaders.

1708477408417.png

And if you are talking about real leadership (not just on the onfield stuff) but all around the club then the bloke who is really stiff to miss out on a nomination was Tom Campbell. Invaluable to the youngsters.

Carlton will be an interesting watch…already missing JSOS for the year plus Weitering & Walsh early…they wouldn’t want to lose any other star’s!!
May their ground burn down. May they all suffer season long illnesses. May they be exposed for cheating, rorting and corruption and be expelled from the competition. F*ck Carlton. May they suffer intensely in their jocks. Long time.

Righto…

WARMUPS and DRILLS
  • First things first… it was absolutely STANKING hot.
  • Boys very very vocal in the run throughs.
  • No Crouch today, which is a bit of a concern.
  • Zak Jones was running laps at a rapid click.
  • Tom Campbell was back on the track.
  • Collard could fit three of him inside his shorts… gone full Eddie Betts.
  • Allison was paired off with one of the coaches on the far side, during warmups…think it was BJ… seemingly teaching short leading.
  • Hunter in full training, but in the fluro “don’t touch me” cap.
  • Wilson training with the forwards, Keeler with the backs, Hotton, Henry and Pou with the mids.
  • Hammer and Allison spent time training with both groups of key positions.
  • Byrnes training with the forwards as well; possible reinvention as an Eddy/McQualter 2.0-style defensive forward.
  • McLennan looks a lot more mobile than last year. Pleasing.
  • Rehab group was Jones, Hayes, Butler, Sinclair, and Van Es. Moose was doing timed runs again. Sincs in particular was moving very well.
  • Sir Leonard Hayes was doing a short areas drill where after three handballs they HAD to move the ball competitively inside a 8m or so circle. Drove them very hard. BJ was watching closely. Group was with Max, Ro, Doogs, Wilkie, Bonner, Battle, Wilson, Seb, Chito, Henry, Windy, and Hill when I was watching. Hands were predominantly excellent.
  • Keeler is an absolute weapon in close quarters for a very tall kid. Moves like he’s 20cm shorter.
  • Garcia goes full throttle at all times. Absolute madman. Lenny and BJ love him.
  • Moose off by himself with a coach working on marking, then immediately getting back on what would be the mark and moving the ball.
  • Butler taking set shots from 35m out in the “wrong” pocket. Didn’t kick a single one. 😬
  • Butler and Hayes kicking to each other on repeat leads was interesting to watch. Both looked proppy still.
  • Darby Hipwell (Sandy) back on deck again… club is putting a LOT of work into him. No idea who the borderline albino in 46 was though (got called Hugo during match sim, so I assume Hall-Kahan), or 37.
  • Half ground drill with mostly the probables was very competitive. Other than the more obvious ones… Bonner was involved, as we McLennan, Hipwell (Sandy), Garcia, Hotton, Wilson and Stocker.
  • Hammer absolutely obliterated Doogs on the lead. Twice. Doogs was… unimpressed. 🤣
  • Stocker (on Titanic) was extremely vocal. As much as Wilkie. He’s in excellent form and nick.
  • Every time there was a marking contest, Enright would restart as if there had been a turnover in defence, regardless of whether someone was kicking for goal or not. Kept the boys moving and thinking.
  • The ball could come in from either of the “ruck contes” on either wing. Funnily enough, no actual ruckmen were involved.
  • Ross gave BJ a minor talking to about something… no idea what, but was interesting; he doesn’t even give the coaches an inch!
MATCH SIM
  • Red the probables at my end, McLennan on Snags, Zlugger on King, Stocker on Titanic, Keeler on Membrey.
  • Coaches full of praise for the Irishman for him decision making out of defence.
  • Chito kicked the first for Red from a set shot from 45m.
  • Max sat out the back on Keeler who got beaten over the top trying to cover. Kicked the second for Red from a set shot snap deep in the pocket.
  • Howard outpaced Allison on the lead at the other end to snuff out a promising entry for Yellow.
  • Very clean transition down the outer wing lead to a goalsquare dribble goal to Hill (I think) for Red.
  • Hunter in the middle for Yellow, still in the “hands off” cap. Moving very smoothly. Bit of a group in-drawn breath when he floated across an oncoming Steele to spoil.
  • Pou played entirely in the midfield.
  • Hastie sat very well in the hole for Yellow to deny a Chito lead. His kicking is lovely.
  • RTB stopped the entire sim to tell everyone off for their positioning.
  • And again to tell Zlugger off for not making sure the Yellow defenders were where they were supposed to be.
  • After the sim, Wood did a heap of work with the Irishman on defensive positioning. He’s a superb mentor.
There was some general farting about with goalkicking and blokes taking hangers over Batch, who was wearing a tackle bag on his back.

They went inside after that. Can’t blame ‘em.

I’m out. It’s about 58° degrees in the shade…

Last edited:
Righto…

WARMUPS and DRILLS
  • Allison was paired off with one of the coaches on the far side, during warmups…think it was BJ… seemingly teaching short leading.
  • Wilson training with the forwards, Keeler with the backs, Hotton, Henry and Pou with the mids.
  • Byrnes training with the forwards as well; possible reinvention as an Eddy/McQualter 2.0-style defensive forward.
  • Rehab group was Jones, Hayes, Butler, Sinclair, and Van Es. Moose was doing timed runs again. Sincs in particular was moving very well.
  • Sir Leonard Hayes was doing a short areas drill where after three handballs they HAD to move the ball competitively inside a 8m or so circle. Drove them very hard. BJ was watching closely. Group was with Max, Ro, Doogs, Wilkie, Bonner, Battle, Wilson, Seb, Chito, Henry, Windy, and Hill when I was watching. Hands were predominantly excellent.
  • Keeler is an absolute weapon in close quarters for a very tall kid. Moves like he’s 20cm shorter.
  • Garcia goes full throttle at all times. Absolute madman. Lenny and BJ love him.
  • Moose off by himself with a coach working on marking, then immediately getting back on what would be the mark and moving the ball.
  • Butler taking set shots from 35m out in the “wrong” pocket. Didn’t kick a single one. 😬
  • Butler and Hayes kicking to each other on repeat leads was interesting to watch. Both looked proppy still.
  • Darby Hipwell (Sandy) back on deck again… club is putting a LOT of work into him. No idea who the borderline albino in 46 was though (got called Hugo during match sim, so I assume Hall-Kahan), or 37.
  • Half ground drill with mostly the probables was very competitive. Other than the more obvious ones… Bonner was involved, as we McLennan, Hipwell (Sandy), Garcia, Hotton, Wilson and Stocker.
  • Hammer absolutely obliterated Doogs on the lead. Twice. Doogs was… unimpressed. 🤣
  • Stocker (on Titanic) was extremely vocal. As much as Wilkie. He’s in excellent form and nick.
  • Every time there was a marking contest, Enright would restart as if there had been a turnover in defence, regardless of whether someone was kicking for goal or not. Kept the boys moving and thinking.
  • The ball could come in from either of the “ruck contes” on either wing. Funnily enough, no actual ruckmen were involved.
  • Ross gave BJ a minor talking to about something… no idea what, but was interesting; he doesn’t even give the coaches an inch!

MATCH SIM
  • Red the probables at my end, McLennan on Snags, Zlugger on King, Stocker on Titanic, Keeler on Membrey.
  • Coaches full of praise for the Irishman for him decision making out of defence.
  • Max sat out the back on Keeler who got beaten over the top trying to cover. Kicked the second for Red from a set shot snap deep in the pocket.
  • Howard outpaced Allison on the lead at the other end to snuff out a promising entry for Yellow.
  • Very clean transition down the outer wing lead to a goalsquare dribble goal to Hill (I think) for Red.
  • Hunter in the middle for Yellow, still in the “hands off” cap. Moving very smoothly. Bit of a group in-drawn breath when he floated across an oncoming Steele to spoil.
  • Hastie sat very well in the hole for Yellow to deny a Chito lead. His kicking is lovely.
  • And again to tell Zlugger off for not making sure the Yellow defenders were where they were supposed to be.
  • After the sim, Wood did a heap of work with the Irishman on defensive positioning. He’s a superb mentor.
There was some general farting about with goalkicking and blokes taking hangers over Batch, who was wearing a tackle bag on his back.

Fantastic report
Thanks

Righto…

WARMUPS and DRILLS
  • Butler taking set shots from 35m out in the “wrong” pocket. Didn’t kick a single one.

MATCH SIM

great work mate

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Righto…

WARMUPS and DRILLS
  • Butler taking set shots from 35m out in the “wrong” pocket. Didn’t kick a single one.
  • Hammer absolutely obliterated Doogs on the lead. Twice. Doogs was… unimpressed.

MATCH SIM

Pathetic, nowhere near long enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pathetic, nowhere near long enough

Should be face against the window, breathing hard and jotting down notes for when they all went inside, right? Fog it up and stalk them around the buildings to extend the post length with content.

Seb has always played better with a solid midfield around him. We have asked him to play plenty of roles he's not suited to. As a 3rd or 4th midfielder in the team he will shine.

Absolutely

Is very much part of the big picture especially in terms of developing the kids

Righto…

WARMUPS and DRILLS
MATCH SIM

And Sincs + Clark on track for round 1

Dow and Butler should be fit but probably won’t be playing senior level.

Clark a chance for the north game

Righto…

WARMUPS and DRILLS
MATCH SIM

Beautiful work

And Sincs + Clark on track for round 1

Dow and Butler should be fit but probably won’t be playing senior level.

Clark a chance for the north game
Butler said straight out to one of the old ducks watching “wouldn’t think so, no”, about Round 1.

Righto…

WARMUPS and DRILLS
MATCH SIM

Deserve a special, "i can take the heat " badge i'm thinking.

Everyone is saying Carlton will finish top four after making a prelim from outside the top four last year.

Over past decade, eight teams have made a prelim from outside the top four. Only one of them - Brisbane last year - have then finished in the top four at the end the following season's home and away (Norf did make back-to-back prelims from outside the top four).

Finishing top four after the H&A is harder than having a good run through finals and unexpectedly making a prelim, which requires a degree of luck, IMO. Which I think explains why so many teams don't make the next step. The one team that's done it - Brissie - had previously banked a top four H&A finish (three in fact!) so it's not surprising that they're the one team to back it up.

Who the hell is Zlugger? Who is Titanic?
Do you blokes make up yur own nicknames as you go?

Around a year ago someone said that Sharman had the turning circle of the Titanic. So i have that one.
Zlugger? Zain Cordy playing as a forward ?

Awesome work Barrels.

Byrnes preparing for the Butler role it seems. Has the pace and tenacity, better than Butler in the air but lets see how he goes at being opportunistic. Would love to see him run on to a few goals out the back.
I feel like with this the goal scoring is always shaky with Butler anyway. Can kick a few or waste every chance, but finding someone to replace his tackling and pressure game is going to be important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back