Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say I’m disappointed that Seb Ross is in the leadership group..yes he’s experienced & yes he’s vocal at training but for us to make significant steps forward, we need to go past the likes of him.. he’s virtually a certainty to be selected now and that should not be the case!
No issues at all with the other four.

Crickey for a guy that loiters around the club as much as you do it's surprising how out of touch you are. Clearly Sebby is deserving of a little bit more respect.

Would have loved to see Owens get the responsibility to be part of this years leadership group.
Hard to know from the outside but Owens doesn't seem like an obvious leader at this stage, to me. Seems more of a lead by example, quiet type. Windhager and Phillipou seem the more vocal, articulate type leaders.

Gotta say I’m disappointed that Seb Ross is in the leadership group..yes he’s experienced & yes he’s vocal at training but for us to make significant steps forward, we need to go past the likes of him.. he’s virtually a certainty to be selected now and that should not be the case!
No issues at all with the other four.

What does being in the leadership group expose the players to? Obviously they are a voice for the playing group but I dont know what other responsibilities they have?

Its a decision by poll by the players themselves, they must rate Seb. The other thing is RTB loves players he can rely on with their effort and he knows what he will get from Seb. Perhaps on field players will go past him but that is a good thing. Even if Seb is playing VFL his leadership will be invaluable in the development of the younger group.

Don't see the problem, who else should be in that role? We've got a good young core, but at this stage none of them should be in the leadership group. Next year, perhaps. Seb Ross is a safe bet.

Mason Wood? Don’t think it’s necessarily the worst thing to happen re Ross though, bigger fish to fry

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's so much irony in that misguided belief. You training watchers are so intoxicated by the bloody "kids" it's blinding better judgement.

Tbh I think most of us would rather read mikes training reports than sit through your input

I post utter shite and you've got me well covered

Tbh I think most of us would rather read mikes training reports than sit through your input

I post utter shite and you've got me well covered

well while we are speaking for others I think most of us would agree you win the award for this site's nastiest bitch. I apologise in advance if you are a man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez... some blokes here would be the absolute worst to have a beer with.

Aaaaaanyway, keen for Friday! Regardless of scores, it'll be good to see some of the structures they've worked on in training put into practice and see some of the potential rotations they use as well. Be good to get a game in the legs, and as someone else said, please no injuries... feels like I'm jinxing it even saying it.

I think we get too caught up in exposing or promoting kids and underrate the lessons learned and leadership developed through experience.

Young lists need good, strong leaders and knowing Seb he ticks those boxes.
The kids will lead when they’re ready to lead.

Do I think he should play every week? Probably not. But the foundational work good leaders lay in developing lists is critical and if he’s in the best 5 leaders at the club he should absolutely be in the group.

Young lists need good, strong leaders and knowing Seb he ticks those boxes.
The kids will lead when they’re ready to lead.
We tend to forget that.

If you asked the younger mids, they would point to Seb as someone who plays a large role in guiding them off field, positioning them in games, taking on a larger jobs so their role is left simple etc. We dont see those things, but they are necessary to help the younger kids become the players we want them too.

If the players and coaches - the only people the leadership group is relevant too - voted Seb in, then he deserves to be in it.

Anyone that looks at the big picture will not share your view…by the way I don’t loiter anywhere!
Never mind the cane toad Mike.

I felt the same way as you, but hopefully it brings out the best in Seb. I think he started the season pretty well last year if I remember.

Either way, I think this will be his last year in the group, and we'll have an idea which of the young leaders is ready to take his place in a few months time.

It's been well over a decade since I've looked forward to a season so much , with the prospect not only of doing well, but exploring genuine talent on the list.

Phillipou could be anything, Owens, Windy, Nas, Henry all just beginning to show what they can do.

Collard, Wilson and Garcia look super impressive.

What a difference a couple of good drafts make.

We should have some absolute champions from this group.

May the Gods be kind to us (for once)

Never mind the cane toad Mike.

I think he started the season pretty well last year if I remember.

Your memory serves you well and it's no coincidence that when Seb was having that patch where he was dialilling up some elite numbers we looked the best we did all season as a team. He will still be in our best 23 for at least another 2 years before any of the kids dislodge him.

I think it's a bit odd that Ro is pretending to be a big smiley, dopey Labrador with his leadership owners...that video is but a few seconds away from him getting a full belly rub.

Ro always strikes me as someone who loves footy and loves his life.

Thanks JB for that write up and from the few sessions in your post Christmas it aligns with what I saw.

The one for me is Stocker. I know RTB said last year with wtte that "he is going well but still has a lot to learn." That was taken as a slight by some. I took it to mean he loves the man and his effort and I'll take him to the next level.

Sitting at ground level at most games in a back pocket some of his acts last year to save goals was insane and then pivot to driving the ball to Sincs or Nas to release off the HBF. He has a ripper in Jimmy beside him who he can learn from.

He's a very very good AFL level player that is at the right club for him now. I'm a fan of him as much as our next level talented kids.

Would have loved to see Owens get the responsibility to be part of this years leadership group.
Too early for me.
Let him concentrate on developing his own game for the next couple of years. After that, who knows…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back