Opinion Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

• Yes

Votes: 243 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it on the game day thread but this feels similar to Hawthorn when they recruited O'Meara and Mitchell. Hawthorn miscalculated where their list was, tried for one final flag and it ended up delaying their rebuild a year or two. Richmond wanted one more flag and they thought Hopper and Taranto would help them deliver it, but it turned out even with those two the premiership window had closed, and by bringing them both in they were not able to invest in the draft in the last 2 years like they could have, which means they have also delayed their rebuild.

Is there a single instance of a team pulling the pin on a fading contender early or even at the perfect time? The system will ultimately bail you out for getting greedy, loading up and going for it. Other than perception and saving the job of the odd coach or recruiting manager, what does abandoning a contender early actually achieve.

Looks slightly different if that 2021 draft crop kicks on and all become great players, but so far only Gibcus has shown that elite end talent.

Definitely felt similar to what we did with O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard.
Do I see a 2018 style top 4 spike coming for Richmond though? Not convinced just yet.

Let's revisit this come seasons end though. It's not even round 1 yet.

GWS sold their two least effective mids for some quality ND picks - made off like bandits.

Worse mistake a club can make is to misjudge where their list is at. Best Hawks and Tiges could hope for was a 'dead cat bounce' and both are now paying for that misjudgement.

Richmond has a lot of players 30 and over to shed in the next few off seasons with little coming through and can't see them being an attractive club for players looking to move. Hard times ahead, enjoy them Tim and Jacob.
At least Hawthorn & Richmond took risks is what I can say. both teams won 3 flags between 2010-2020.
Can't blame them for having a crack at more glory.
A lot of other clubs imo don't take enough risks & just sit middle of road.

We had ITK posters on our board saying Cogs was coming until Gil got involved.
spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

Clearly yes. Giants are a strong team and should be around the mark for a few years, whereas Richmond are a strong chance to finish bottom 4 in the same time frame.

But I don't really blame them for making the choice that they did. Both were offered significant contracts. Richmond made a serious error of judgement in getting both of them, and giving up what they did to bring them across.

I'm a big Taranto fan, though his disposal is awful. Hopper though I have said and maintain is nothing more than an average footballer - giving up a 1st and 2nd round pick, and giving the guy a 7 year contract - was absolute madness.

Clearly yes. Giants are a strong team and should be around the mark for a few years, whereas Richmond are a strong chance to finish bottom 4 in the same time frame.

But I don't really blame them for making the choice that they did. Both were offered significant contracts. Richmond made a serious error of judgement in getting both of them, and giving up what they did to bring them across.

I'm a big Taranto fan, though his disposal is awful. Hopper though I have said and maintain is nothing more than an average footballer - giving up a 1st and 2nd round pick, and giving the guy a 7 year contract - was absolute madness.
Agree. I was in for Taranto at the time but didn’t want Hopper.

Those in the know suggest that Taranto was part of Hartleys planning a long way out, but Hopper wasn’t on the radar until Dimma stepped in and demanded we get him across to bolster our aging midfield for one last crack. The reigns on decision making have since been tightened.

But I spose as a supporter who hadn’t seen much success, for that football department to gift us three flags I can forgo the mistake to go all in for one more.

Would Richmond consider trading either of them? It just feels like with 2 vanilla, slow inside mids it will prevent younger players from stepping into the role and developing.

I guess the problem is their contracts mean they would have to want to leave and either Richmond would have to pay some of their deal or accept a reduced trade value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much like the Bowes guy who is not even vfl standard earning the same kinda money

It happens
Hopper (and Taranto) didn't only sign 7-year deals, but the former cost more at the trade table than Jeremy Cameron. Bowes was signed on a 4-year deal and came packaged with pick 7. You got double-whammied I'm afraid.

However he turns out - and he's much better than what you think - at least we didn't throw away picks for him, unlike your mob with those 2 :joycat:

We were in a different position to you guys though. When you have a dynasty you roll the dice to add another flag to it. You don’t understand what that’s like.

Said it on the game day thread but this feels similar to Hawthorn when they recruited O'Meara and Mitchell. Hawthorn miscalculated where their list was, tried for one final flag and it ended up delaying their rebuild a year or two. Richmond wanted one more flag and they thought Hopper and Taranto would help them deliver it, but it turned out even with those two the premiership window had closed, and by bringing them both in they were not able to invest in the draft in the last 2 years like they could have, which means they have also delayed their rebuild.
We at least got a spike from recruiting O'Meara and Mitchell in the 2nd year into the top 4 (5th after finals). Mitchell then breaks his leg and isn't the same player again

We were in a different position to you guys though. When you have a dynasty you roll the dice to add another flag to it. You don’t understand what that’s like.

Cats didn't have a dynasty?

This is silly, even by nonsensical Richmond supporter logic.

Cats didn't have a dynasty?

This is silly, even by nonsensical Richmond supporter logic.

Every other AFL/VFL dynasty had a b2b in it, you can google it. So they technically don’t fit the bill. I’m not just making it up, it’s a fact that they haven’t achieved what every other dynasty has.

Enjoy your 44 year drought again:)

You still haven’t won any flags this century without those rigged f/s picks. You may as well switch teams now to save yourself the pain.
Look, I know you're hurting because of the absolute shellacking dished out on your mob by Gold Coast, but that's no reason to lose it.

You and I both know that Geelong's up and coming youth (Holmes, Clark, Conway, etc.) are far superior to anything available on the Richmond list. Face facts, face the truth. Your mob is gone, gone, GONE.

P.S. And footy is all the better for it :D :thumbsu:

Back