Opinion Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

• Yes

Votes: 243 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We at least got a spike from recruiting O'Meara and Mitchell in the 2nd year into the top 4 (5th after finals). Mitchell then breaks his leg and isn't the same player again
Clarkson had the decency to go down with the ship and commit to it. Hardwick threw the most expensive hail Mary imaginable then pissed off as soon as it was clearly not working

Clarkson had the decency to go down with the ship and commit to it. Hardwick threw the most expensive hail Mary imaginable then pissed off as soon as it was clearly not working

Hardwick as he said left early because he didn’t want his time at Richmond to end on a sour note. Which is what happened to Clarko at the Hawks.

Did the gamble with Taranto and Hopper pay off? No, but that doesn’t make him a snake.

Most people including myself were happy with the gamble, we still had the players why would we just roll over and accept defeat? There is always time to do a rebuild but getting a 4 flag dynasty comes once or twice in a lifetime.

Nahyou just spent $700k a year for a vfl footballer

Happy days
Geelong got him as steak knives with pick 7. And we get to spread the payment over a new 4-year deal. What drugs are you on?

Wait, you’re from Richmond, the same dive suburb with the injecting rooms? No answer required.

Last edited:
Geelong got him as steak knives with pick 7. And we get to spread the payment over a new 4-year deal. What drugs are you on?

Wait, you’re from 18thmond, the same dive suburb with the injecting rooms? No answer required.

Dude your best player in 2022 literally gave his premiership medal to a cow. Please just don’t, who knows what goes on down at Geelong 🤣🤣🤣

Nahyou just spent $700k a year for a vfl footballer

Happy days
Richmond would've been far better off ignoring Taranto and Hopper. Imagine if instead they'd instead got the Geelong deal and picked up Clark and Bowes (gain a first round draft pick; don't give them away).

Then with the picks they gave to GWS, recruit Rowston, Gruzewski and Hustwaite (HH was available with the Hopper round 2 pick) in 2022. Truly embrace the slide down the ladder for 2023 - as in, finish below Hawthorn.

Then with the 2023 Hopper first round pick, get Sanders in as another young midfield bull. Or Watson, but I'd say midfield is a bigger priority.

There would be some short term pain but I'd be more excited about this kind of set up:

FB: Young Gibcus Vlastuin
HB: Short Balta Rioli

C: Hustwaite Martin Bowes
FOL: Nankervis Clark Sanders

HF: Rowston Ryan Bolton
FF: Gruzewski Lynch Baker

IC: Graham Ross Campbell Banks

Short, Bolton and Baker to all roll through midfield to lessen the burden on Clark/Sanders as they develop.

Oh well.

3 in 5 years is a dynasty, regardless of whether it fits your silly made up definition.

Not saying you can’t believe whatever you want but let’s be real, every time another dynasty with a b2b comes the 3 in 5 gets kicked a little bit more to the side of the curb until it’s completely forgotten/not considered part of the dynasty group anymore. It’s just factually not impressive to fail at going b2b 3 TIMES!!! no matter how you slice it.

But anyway I’ll leave it here it’s not the appropriate thread to discuss it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying you can’t believe whatever you want but let’s be real, every time another dynasty with a b2b comes the 3 in 5 gets kicked a little bit more to the side of the curb until it’s completely forgotten/not considered part of the dynasty group anymore.

Let's be honest, no it doesn't. Seems you just can't accept that some did it as well as, if not better than Richmond.

It’s just factually not impressive to fail at going b2b 3 TIMES!!! no matter how you slice it.

This is possibly the worst attempt at discrediting Geelong for what they achieved, that I have ever seen.

It's embarrassing. Do all Richmond people believe this or are they more sensible?

Not saying you can’t believe whatever you want but let’s be real, every time another dynasty with a b2b comes the 3 in 5 gets kicked a little bit more to the side of the curb until it’s completely forgotten/not considered part of the dynasty group anymore. It’s just factually not impressive to fail at going b2b 3 TIMES!!! no matter how you slice it.

But anyway I’ll leave it here it’s not the appropriate thread to discuss it.
A neutral has put you in place over a ridiculous premise and a flimsy argument, yet again.

Time to retreat.

A neutral has put you in place over a ridiculous premise and a flimsy argument, yet again.

Time to retreat.

Embrace it mate. I love when he brings up 3 premierships in 5 years or the Bowes trade. Just a lovely reminder of that time we won 3 flags in 5 years. And that time we picked up a solid role player while getting a gun kid as well. Jhye Clark didn't look half bad against the Dons!

Time to retreat.

Do you think no neutrals think the other way? Hmm, best to stay in Geelong. I wouldn’t want your feelings to get hurt. Especially once the new dynasties start rolling in, nobody will rate you anymore. It’ll be quite sad but expected. I mean you’ve already got 3 supporters bases criticising you for no AFL b2bs, god help you if Carlton, Bombers and Pies get AFL b2bs and 3 peats.

Do you think no neutrals think the other way? Hmm, best to stay in Geelong. I wouldn’t want your feelings to get hurt. Especially once the new dynasties start rolling in, nobody will rate you anymore. It’ll be quite sad but expected. I mean you’ve already got 3 supporters bases criticising you for no AFL b2bs, god help you if Carlton, Bombers and Pies get AFL b2bs and 3 peats.
Yeah, because the first thing I'd think of if Collingwood happened to win the flag this year would be to reach out to every Geelong supporter I know and tease them over their inability to go B2B.

<for the avoidance of doubt, that was a joke...>

2 B grade at absolute best mids won the lottery

GWS got rid of 2 b grade mids and were compensated more than fairly

Tiggers are biting the pillow, coz its going in dry

I said before with trades, so it isn't a hindsight call, that the Taranto trade was necessary for us as we needed that extra big body, but the Hopper trade was a step too far and overkill.

I stand by that, if we'd only lost 12 and 19 for Taranto I'd still take that given the speculation of draft picks and the fact he's already won a B&F in his first year.

Hopper remains a player that we should not have made that trade for, but I understand the gamble. We had won 3 flags and we gambled on a 4th, if it sets us back so be it, but premierships are so hard to win that you may as well maximise your crack when you're in the perceived window.

Back