Opinion Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

• Yes

Votes: 243 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of Richmond fans even said at the time we didn't need Hopper if we were getting Taranto.
It's just a shame Hopper didn't choose Geelong.

He didn't come to Geelong cause we weren't going near a 7-year deal. Picking him up in an area of weakness for a pick around 20 and a 5 year contract a bit less than your 7 years would've been fine.

He's a good player. The issue with the trade was the amount you paid, that it overloaded you with slow inside mids and that you had virtually no good young players coming through.

Yeah, that's the point. Gws wanted to use the money elsewhere so they weren't getting those big contracts
Yep, that's good list management, we went for Green a long way out he was grandson of Michael Green a 4x Richmond premiership player when he said "he loved it up in Sydney and didn't want to leave" we switched to Taranto.

but Hopper was sort of a last-minute thing all year he was linked to Geelong than all sudden he has meeting with Hardwick at Richmond & than nominates us, our list management team were pretty spot on with getting Prestia, Nank, Lynch etc. but it's clear they dropped ball on this & allowed Dimma to have too much power.

Yep, that's good list management, we went for Green a long way out he was grandson of Michael Green a 4x Richmond premiership player when he said "he loved it up in Sydney and didn't want to leave" we switched to Taranto.

but Hopper was sort of a last-minute thing all year he was linked to Geelong than all sudden he has meeting with Hardwick at Richmond & than nominates us, our list management team were pretty spot on with getting Prestia, Nank, Lynch etc. but it's clear they dropped ball on this & allowed Dimma to have too much power.
Yeah ... I understand the Green interest. TT and Hopps as second/third choice is what it is .. but Dimma walking out once he sold you up the river is a joke

Yeah ... I understand the Green interest. TT and Hopps as second/third choice is what it is .. but Dimma walking out once he sold you up the river is a joke
I know that's why I can't understand how some Richmond fans are so neutral towards Dimma, being a 3x premiership coach for the club does make you exempt from things, no doubt he is a great coach, but it wasn't just him it was the players more.

He run as soon as it looked like we were on the slide in fact, good on him he got 6-year deal at Suns & cashed out.

I know that's why I can't understand how some Richmond fans are so neutral towards Dimma, being a 3x premiership coach for the club does make you exempt from things, no doubt he is a great coach, but it wasn't just him it was the players more.

He run as soon as it looked like we were on the slide in fact, good on him he got 6-year deal at Suns & cashed out.
I get you ... but 3 premeierships? He's beloved

He's underselling them. If you ignore the losses and draws which I assume is how he got to 42 wins in a row, they've actually had 427 wins in a row at the MCG.
I love Richmond supporters.

They're also the best because Martin, Rance (who played in one of their premierships), Cotchin, Riewoldt and Edwards.

Because none of the other dynasty teams had any stars...

Last edited:
Perhaps just wait until GWS actually win something before suggesting they might've made a mistake.

Have Tanner Bruhn and Jack Bowes also made a mistake if Geelong don't win another flag before the Giants and/or Suns?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps just wait until GWS actually win something before suggesting they might've made a mistake.

Have Tanner Bruhn and Jack Bowes also made a mistake if Geelong don't win another flag before the Giants and/or Suns?
gws are equal flag favs

had they stayed, theyd be challenging for a flag at least

they joined an ageing team on the way down. still may make finals but a serious flag tiltlooks off the cards entirely

gws are equal flag favs

had they stayed, theyd be challenging for a flag at least

they joined an ageing team on the way down. still may make finals but a serious flag tiltlooks off the cards entirely
But everyone's telling me these two blokes are no good, and GWS are a better team without them. Which one is it?

Like I suggested, maybe we reserve our judgement until the Giants win something of any substance.

He was under contract at the Suns with massive dollars attached. He could've easily dug his toes in.

But yeah, Tanner Bruhn is a far better comparison.

Bowes went to the only club who was seemingly interested in him rather than just the high pick that would come along with. Considering he got a contract extension and played every game when fit last year that seems to have been a good decision.

For whatever reason Bruhn didn't want to be at GWS. His coach was just on 360 saying he thinks Bruhn can "move the needle" and that he'll play as an inside mid. Which seems a pretty positive development for him. He needed to go to a club that would back him and develop him and he's found that. He's 21 and has got another 10+ years to achieve success.

Taranto and Hopper chose Richmond with Hardwick as coach. Hardwick then walked out. If they didn't move just for money it's hard to see how they're in a better place now than before they left.

He asked the question and most people agree. Geelong gave up bugger all for those 2. It's not even a big deal if they aren't best 22. It'll be no skin off geelongs nose. No comparison.

GWS have some darn good players that are not household names:

Connor Idun
Brent Daniels
Callum Brown

Only 1 team wins the premiership each year. I'd think players would value the following before higher chance of winning the premiership:

1. $$$$$$$$
2. Contract Length
3. City/Town to live in
4. Crowds that attend the game - higher the crowd numbers, better for the player (more exposure, better atmosphere playing at home)
5. Club facilities
6. Team success

Back