VFL fans from the 70's and 80's - did you have a SANFL or WAFL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you realise almost all VFL players played in the reserves at some stage - by your logic the VFL reserves competition was at the same level as the VFL.
I'm talking about players who spent a fair amount of time before crossing over and not just a year or two. All of Platten, Kernahan, Mark Naley , Andrew and Darren Jarman , Greg Anderson, Tony Mcguinness, Mark Williams, Greg Phillips, Tony Hall, Martin Leslie ,Craig Kelly all spent at least 5 seasons in the Sanfl before crossing over and all played at least 100 games during the 80's. There's more I'm sure but I cant be bothered to find them at the moment.

I'm talking about players who spent a fair amount of time before crossing over and not just a year or two. All of Platten, Kernahan, Mark Naley , Andrew and Darren Jarman , Greg Anderson, Tony Mcguinness, Mark Williams, Greg Phillips, Tony Hall, Martin Leslie ,Craig Kelly all spent at least 5 seasons in the Sanfl before crossing over and all played at least 100 games during the 80's. There's more I'm sure but I cant be bothered to find them at the moment.
Just looked up the first three on your list.

John Platten played in the SANFL from the age of 18 to 22, including being named the best player in the competition as a 21-year-old. He then stepped up to the elite level and played in his prime in the VFL.

Stephen Kernahan played in the SANFL from age 18 to 22, and was the best player at his club for 3 of those four years as a kid. He then moved across to the Elite level to play in the VFL

Mark Naley played SANFL from age 19 to 25, he then moved to the VFL. Had a few years as a solid player, suffered a hamstring injury then got dropped for the finals. After not being able to get a game he moved back to SA and won the Magarey medal.

Do I need to look up the rest or do you want to just say you are wrong and we move on??

Most top level WAFL and SANFL players went the way of David Ogg.

And you cherry-picked the greatest South Australian players of all time and came up with 12 who played in the VFL in their prime, not in the SANFL.

Just such an embarrassing response. Are you arguing against me or with me???

Last edited:

Just looked up the first three on your list.

John Platten played in the SANFL from the age of 18 to 22, including being named the best player in the competition as a 21-year-old. He then stepped up to the elite level and played in his prime in the VFL.

Stephen Kernahan played in the SANFL from age 18 to 22, and was the best player at his club for 3 of those four years as a kid. He then moved across to the Elite level to play in the VFL

Mark Naley played SANFL from age 19 to 25, he then moved to the VFL. Had a few years as a solid player, suffered a hamstring injury then got dropped for the finals. After not being able to get a game he moved back to SA and won the Magarey medal.

Do I need to look up the rest or do you want to just say you are wrong and we move on??

Most top level WAFL and SANFL players went the way of David Ogg.

And you cherry-picked the greatest South Australian players of all time and came up with 12 who played in the VFL in their prime, not in the SANFL.

Just such an embarrassing response. Are you arguing against me or with me???
Take a look at six AA teams, immediately preceding the entry of the crows:
-1980, 6 SANFL, 2 WAFL, 1 TAS
-1983, 6 SANFL, 2 WAFL
-1985, 5 SANFL, 1 WAFL
-1986, 4 SANFL, 7 WAFL
-1987, 5 SANFL
-1988, 3 SANFL

No VFL reserves players in any of the teams as far as i can tell.

I doubt there’s been a non-AFL member of the AA team since 1990, but it’s clear that the SANFL and WAFL were serious competitions stacked with elite players in the years prior to the national comp.

Last edited:
I used to love the old state games between WA and SA. Either side could win. Though home ground was often the deciding factor.

Take a look at six AA teams, immediately preceding the entry of the crows:
-1980, 6 SANFL, 2 WAFL, 1 TAS
-1983, 6 SANFL, 2 WAFL
-1985, 5 SANFL, 1 WAFL
-1986, 4 SANFL, 7 WAFL
-1987, 5 SANFL
-1988, 3 SANFL

No VFL reserves players in any of the teams as far as i can tell.

I doubt there’s been a non-AFL member of the AA team since 1990, but it’s clear that the SANFL and WAFL were serious competitions stacked with elite players in the years prior to the national comp.
Haha - wasn't that picked from the mickey mouse carnival that the Vics treated as a footy trip and the SA/WA players treated as the pinicale of their football lives?? It wasn't really who were the best players in the country, it was who played best in a scratch match, (or most likely, who was the least hungover).

Geez, getting really desperate now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back